Is it really going to happen???

Started by Chilli Girl, November 29, 2021, 18:54

Chilli Girl

Just read that Toyota's new MR2 could be developed as a joint-venture with iconic performance brand Lotus. Possibly part or all electric.  You never know it may happen but won't be very cheap I don't expect! :'( Nice looking too!
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

McMr2

Quote from: Chilli Girl on November 29, 2021, 18:54Just read that Toyota's new MR2 could be developed as a joint-venture with iconic performance brand Lotus. Possibly part or all electric.  You never know it may happen but won't be very cheap I don't expect! :'( Nice looking too!

If I wait the same length of time as buying my current MR2 then I should be in the market for one sometime around 2040!
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Joesson

Quote from: Chilli Girl on November 29, 2021, 18:54Just read that Toyota's new MR2 could be developed as a joint-venture with iconic performance brand Lotus. Possibly part or all electric.  You never know it may happen but won't be very cheap I don't expect! :'( Nice looking too!

Strangely, today I unearthed a copy of Car magazine from November 1999. On the front cover are photos of a Mercedes CL, a New Lotus super coupe (M250*) and Toyota's new MR2 Lower price, less power, more fun - a sports car reinvented.

All cars were in the People's Choice colour, Silver.

* I believe the M250 did not get beyond being a concept.

It would seem that in the last century Lotus and Toyota were "on the same page"!

StuC

Quote from: Joesson on November 29, 2021, 20:40

Strangely, today I unearthed a copy of Car magazine from November 1999. On the front cover are photos of a Mercedes CL, a New Lotus super coupe (M250*) and Toyota's new MR2 Lower price, less power, more fun - a sports car reinvented.

All cars were in the People's Choice colour, Silver.

* I believe the M250 did not get beyond being a concept.

It would seem that in the last century Lotus and Toyota were "on the same page"!

Don't think that went unnoticed @Joesson !! I see what you did there. 🤔😂😂

There was a post facelift concept kicking about in Japan that I believe was also an electric offering.
All I can remember is that the body panels were broadly similar and the car was green in colour. Is been talked about in here before.

Quick t'internet search produced...
LINKY
Enjoy 😂
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

The Other Stu

There's been a lot of talk in the last few years about this. Some mention BMW (As per Supra), Lotus, Mercedes, Subaru (as per GT86) and Porsche.

Here we go:
Porsche one

Subaru concept

Then of course there are plenty of other so-called concepts.....

And Toyota even made this one themselves - this really exists!

Now the question comes. Do they really want to make one? is there the market?
Fiat made their version of the MX5, but realistically only made it for a couple of years. I don't see Mazda making great shakes - they sell less than 5,000 a year throughout Europe. Hardly a huge market to be aiming at.

My other worry is that Toyota are way behind in the electric market and apparently putting their focus on Hydrogen power. I wouldn't be surprised either if they semi-pull out of Europe and focus on selling 4wd vehicles to the middle east and so on. Apparently, that's a huge market for them.
The Toyota BZ (beyond zero) electric car is still very much a concept, when all of their rivals have 2 or 3 years already behind them.
No Longer Here

Beachbum957

What attracted us to the MRS is the small size, its light weight, and its a convertible.  I don't see any of these features in any of the proposals. 

With the focus on EV, someone will eventually build a less expensive EV sports car, but with current technologies, the days of a lightweight car like the MRS may be over. 

The Other Stu

That's exactly it. The green one aside, they're all huge.

However, if you talk to a lot of car enthusiasts (particularly men), they'll tell you how the Mk2 was the best one of the lot.

For me, it was a car that didn't really know what it was. It doesn't suit the "midship runabout" ethos that the Mk3 had, or the X1/9 style Mk1 that was so cool.
The Mk2 for me was a 2 seater alternative to the cars that Toyota already had out - the Celica and the Supra.

It always came with the moniker of "Baby Ferrari" and I suppose there is that - after all, how many larger 2 seaters are there about that cost under £100k? And maybe a new one might be there to fill that void.

Either way, they're going to have to improve the handling. Whilst the Mk2, particularly the later 3SGE and the Turbo were like bullets on a straight, they were never the most graceful around a corner (as I've found out when I've been out for drives with all 3 - the Mk1 and Mk3 corner much better)
No Longer Here

Zxrob

Quote from: The Other Stu on November 30, 2021, 14:59That's exactly it. The green one aside, they're all huge.

And fooking ugly too

Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

Dev

Sorry to ruin the party as I like Toyota out of all manufacturers, however I am not partial to the MR2 legacy, never was. I am partial to lightweight roadsters of the past and present. If Toyota cannot make me one I will make my own or buy a MX-5.

The Other Stu

Quote from: Dev on December  1, 2021, 00:48Sorry to ruin the party as I like Toyota out of all manufacturers, however I am not partial to the MR2 legacy, never was. I am partial to lightweight roadsters of the past and present. If Toyota cannot make me one I will make my own or buy a MX-5.
Abarth 124 is probably nearest as affordable goes.
Our previous treasurer replaced his TF with one.

I have no idea if you got those your side of the pond, but they're effectively an MX5 with a bit more power.
or if you have deep pockets, the 124 Spider Rally with a 1.8 Turbo and 300 gee-gees on offer.
No Longer Here

Beachbum957

The FIAT 124 was sold here, but the official FIAT website states they are out of production, but some may still exist in dealer inventory.  Not exactly a big seller. 

FIAT is almost gone in the US market.

The Other Stu

Quote from: Beachbum957 on December  1, 2021, 14:24The FIAT 124 was sold here, but the official FIAT website states they are out of production, but some may still exist in dealer inventory.  Not exactly a big seller. 

The Fiat version was the same as the Miata / MX5.
The Abarth version was much more powerful.
No Longer Here

Dev

Quote from: The Other Stu on December  1, 2021, 14:29
Quote from: Beachbum957 on December  1, 2021, 14:24The FIAT 124 was sold here, but the official FIAT website states they are out of production, but some may still exist in dealer inventory.  Not exactly a big seller. 

The Fiat version was the same as the Miata / MX5.
The Abarth version was much more powerful.

Unfortunately Fiat has not done particularly well here. They do own Chrysler and they also sell their Fiat branded cars like the 500 but it has one of the worst reliability records and heavy depreciation. 
The Fiat version of the MX-5 was built on the same production line in Japan but what separates them apart from styling is the engine which some report has had its share of issues.

I can honestly say I like the MX-5 look better than the Fiat. I also like that Mazda reduced the weight from the NC version by 200lbs which is what manufactures should do but I am afraid that whatever comes about with this new iteration of the MR2 might actually resemble a throwback to the MK2 with more horsepower and more GT like than a light weight roadster that we all love. It will also probably sell for used low millage Cayman prices.

Dev

I believe Toyota is making a mid-engine car that is going to be the replacement for the LFA. What I don't like is it will be turbo charged just like everything else to make up those high horsepower numbers that everyone wants otherwise its a garbage supercar. 
 The same thing will happen with the MR2 where they need to impress with numbers than actual fun to drive. If I was a betting man I would say if they make a MR2 it will not have a manual transmission, it will be a computer control slush box with an 8 speed schizophrenic transmission. The brakes will have an actuator and the steering will have a gear driven assist. This is why the older Lambo cars with manual transmissions are going up in value because these newer supercars are not fun to drive they are just fast.
You might as well put on a pair of VR goggles and enjoy the ride. 
 Lets just hope there are some in Toyota motor city that will go against the grain of public opinion and make another light weight car out of stamped steel that is focused on visceral fun.   

Ardent

Quote from: Beachbum957 on November 30, 2021, 11:57What attracted us to the MRS is the small size, its light weight, and its a convertible.  I don't see any of these features in any of the proposals. 

Spot on.

Dev

This is one of my favorite Roadsters. Ferrari Barchetta.
 It was an inspiration for a song under the same name which describes the future of transport being dystopian and boring. The protagonist of the song discovers the car in his Uncle's country place that use to be a farm before the motor law.  It's amazing how true lyrics are in our time.

Tags: