MOT statistics

Started by barchetta_ms, December 7, 2021, 12:28

barchetta_ms

An interesting site that aggregates MOT statistics by make/model/year :

https://motstats.co.uk/?vehicle_type=car&make=Toyota&model=MR2

"Parking brake efficiency below minimum requirement" seems to be the most common failure for the MK3 MR2

Chilli Girl

Interesting - but not surprised regarding the handbrake issue! :-\
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

fawtytoo

I looked up my Hyundai Coupe, and guess what? Same common failure.

Except that my Coupe doesn't have that problem. And neither does my MR2. Nor have they ever done (at least, to my knowledge during ownership and prior MOT history).

The handbrake on my MR2 was repaired recently, but that was a lack of maintenance by previous owners.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

carolineasb

The issue is not the handbrake per se but those fixing/fitting the handbrake
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

Petrus

Emegency brakes issues are a very common fault in mány cars.
This is a reflection of the nature of the mechanical requirements and the need to design it as light and cheap as possible combined with the main hydraulic system.
It was already like this with hydraulic drum brakes! and rear discs does not make it any simpler at a price.

Bossworld

Quote from: carolineasb on December  7, 2021, 14:02The issue is not the handbrake per se but those fixing/fitting the handbrake

It's not helped by poorly designed routing of the cables, and the need to line up the nipple on the back of the pad.

Plenty of other cars use a disc rear hand brake without issue.

Can move one off the fail list today, my old car finally went through on the third attempt. Don't know the full ins and outs but sounds like one of the calipers was duff after only three years.

Petrus

Quote from: Bossworld on December  9, 2021, 22:58Plenty of other cars use a disc rear hand brake without issue.

Pantets, cost, other design requirements/limits make it a sadly common problem area.

Pérsonally I find the ´mechanical´ requirement a nowadays pretty much useless complication.

Mollydog

Regarding the handbrake this is one of the issues my MR2 failed the MOT last week,

even after my adjustment at the handle end (after the fail), on the retest they had to mess about with it at the wheel end further just to get it through the MOT

My original Mini MY1965  (after all these years I still remember the reg, HPE 661C) was always failing the MOT due to the handbrake, this was when I had the Mini in the early 70's

Petrus

Quote from: Mollydog on December 11, 2021, 08:05My original Mini MY1965  (after all these years I still remember the reg, HPE 661C) was always failing the MOT due to the handbrake, this was when I had the Mini in the early 70's

Older cars are also hampered by the changes in requiremnets and the testing methods. Handbrakes were rather marginal things and if not near 100% of their capacity, not up to the job tested. Also, p.e. the handbrake of my little DAF does not work well with the large mass of the decelleration equipment. Aapearantly the theoretical compensation for the lower load simply does not compute.

fawtytoo

www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/vehicle-test-procedures
QuoteThe parking brake (hand brake) efficiency is below 16 per cent
... is a failure.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Tags: