A new approach to flat batteries (for me)

Started by moredun, January 22, 2022, 16:52

moredun

After trying solar battery chargers, only to find out they were useless, I decided to look into some other way to prevent my battery going flat if the MR2 was not used regularly.

A battery isolator was one option, but to much hassle, so another solution was needed. Up steps the battery Monitor/Isolator idea.

A battery monitor device will monitor the state of the battery, and only when the battery voltage drops to a pre defined voltage will the isolator kick in to prevent the battery going flat.

The unit I bought was easy to fit, waterproof (IPX6 rating), and has several other features still to be tested in time.
Winner of the Numb bum award 2019

shnazzle

I looked at these a while back.
Carolyn fitted a remote operated isolator a couple of years ago and I copied it, but ultimately made little sense in my daily. Still have components to make more here. If I ever find the time I'll make them and put them here.

At the time, nothing like these existed that could handle the cranking amps.
Cut a year later and ebay is flooded with these high-amp-capable devices with LCD readouts, monitoring and even WiFi reporting.

The only thing I didn't like was the power usage. They talked about 2-3 mobths battery life. An isolator is little hassle, takes 30 seconds to disengage, and the battery is good for a lot longer.

Horses for courses but the decide you got seems a winner for those who use it sporadically, but not seasonally or daily
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: