Ballpark price of FL MR2's at the moment

Started by Erudite, February 11, 2022, 14:47

Erudite

Does anyone know what a realistic price for a good condition facelift MR2 (standard 1zz) is at the moment in the 80k-100k miles bracket?

I'm looking online and the prices vary dramatically from 2-3k on ebay etc. to 4-6k on Autotrader. Are the Autotrader prices realistic or are they pie in the sky? I notice that a lot of the really high prices on there are from traders but there are others that are advertised at £4k+ in this mileage bracket from private sellers.

Topdownman

I would say the prices have always varied that much.

Just because people ask a high price doesnt mean they will get it but may make it easier to sell if they have come down a lot from their asking price?

Start high and see how you get on, you can come down but you cant go up!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

J88TEO

willing buyer willing seller...win win  ;D

Carolyn

Prices are definitely on the up.  Really good cars were bringing 5-6K last year, and I predict that those prices will be more the norm in Spring.

Autotrader seems to bring the highest prices.  Owners clubs, the lowest.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Ardent

Not particularly helpful.
But as the old adage goes.

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

steveash

I think the higher prices sound quite sensible when you consider what else you could get for that money.

Prices are always higher in the Spring and Summer. The best time to haggle with a dealer is Autumn when they're desperate to get their money out of convertibles and buy SUVs.

shnazzle

Echoing Carolyn; within clubs is the worst place to sell for money. My last MR2, about 7 or 8 years ago, sold for 2400. It was an oil-burning pre-fl with so much rotten stuff. Put it on AutoTrader. I didn't want a member driving it. No way I would have gotten that much on here. 

In the process now of selling my facelift in a much better state for far far less. But... Its an "heart" choice I made. I love this damn car. It's been so close to my heart for so long, I'd rather take a hit on what I can get to see it lead another life within the club. Even if it goes in a blaze of glory against a track wall. 

Once you know more about the car, you know how to discount its  value. That doesn't happen on AutoTrader.
This is also why I make a point of knowing as much as I can about a car if I buy one from a dealer. Bargaining chips.

Having said all that; within a member club, if the car is particularly well-sorted, the inverse can apply and you can argue a higher ticket price. Whereas someone of AutoTrader would go "a fkin-what-brace?"
...neutiquam erro.

Alex Knight

@shnazzle agree with everything you have said. Spot on.

shnazzle

Quote from: Alex Knight on February 12, 2022, 17:50@shnazzle agree with everything you have said. Spot on.
I've still got it... After all these years. ;)
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: