How to mount lightweight battery

Started by Nvy, February 17, 2022, 14:13

Nvy

As the title states I want to mount a lightweight battery but the terminals are different. What have you used to mount motorcycle like batteries?

Petrus

I simply took off the car terminals and screwed the remaining eyelets to the ´bike´ terminals.

Dev

By different what do you mean. No posts or the terminals are reversed.

I used the stock battery tray and drilled into it to accept a light weight battery cage that houses the battery.

Nvy

Quote from: Petrus on February 17, 2022, 14:39I simply took off the car terminals and screwed the remaining eyelets to the ´bike´ terminals.

Do I need any special bolts?

Nvy

Quote from: Dev on February 17, 2022, 17:12By different what do you mean. No posts or the terminals are reversed.

I used the stock battery tray and drilled into it to accept a light weight battery cage that houses the battery.

Can I use it with no cage? Ill do zip ties in the beginning, full jdm style 😁

Petrus

Zip ties will likely be frowned upon by the periodic inspection. I used the OEM tray and metal clamp. There are extra holes in the upright. You only need spacers on the screw down hook.

Dev

Quote from: Nvy on February 17, 2022, 17:39
Quote from: Dev on February 17, 2022, 17:12By different what do you mean. No posts or the terminals are reversed.

Can I use it with no cage? Ill do zip ties in the beginning, full jdm style 😁

I have committed the sin using a product called gorilla tape when the light weight AGM battery was installed in the front of the car. Although the tape is very strong its not the right way to do it.

In an accident the G␐ forces are tremendous which can rip though its supports and become projectiles which sends them flying with force that kill or injure the occupants in the car or another car. 
 That is the rational of locking things down extremely well that it might seem like overkill but its not.

steveash

As above, I unbolted the post clamps and bolted the remaining part to the bike-style terminals. I also fitted a bike battery isolator at the same time. I removed the original clamp and used a pair of shorter threaded rods with hook ends and standard aluminium clamp plate across the top.

Nvy

So fixed it with zipties and tried to fire up. Was amazed that it started right away, seemed better than my previous battery.

Can anyone recommend a kill switch that I can mount into the engine bay?

Petrus

Quote from: Nvy on February 28, 2022, 12:46Can anyone recommend a kill switch that I can mount into the engine bay?

There´s photos in Belle´s thread.

From ebay, cheap, works.

Tags: