Daytime Running Lights etc / Foglights ?

Started by Gibla, February 19, 2022, 15:31

Gibla

Rectangular RING DRL installed on two of my '2's here https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/BRL0397 , I could simply do the same on the 3rd one as they do make a significant difference regarding safety IMO. It's so much easier to spot any car in all light conditions if it's installed with DRL.

However, looking through some info, it looks like a 9006 HB4 fitment can be had in halogen or led + others to upgrade the foglights to do a dual function,this would be a cheaper + neater solution.

A quick Google search of Amazon/e-bay throws up a multitude of largely unknown manufacturers(the usual suspects Osram, Phillips don't seem to produce LED)

I realise that aftermarket-led headlights fall foul of UK type-approval regs, but are fog lights similarly covered?

Whatever......can I have some personal recommendations for LED bulbs that would fit into the foglights please.
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Gibla

Zero response in this thread or a similar request in a Fb group. I can only conclude that LED foglight bulbs are seemingly c**p!

If anyone disagrees, chirp up please.

Call the midlife!

It's probably more to do with nobody else trying them and unable to comment or the odd ones that have tried them haven't seen this thread.
The trend a few years back was to fit the Halo style fog lights with a led outer ring as a DRL but they're not readily available anymore I don't think.
60% of the time it works everytime...

TheTigerUK

I don't know why but I would like to fit some fogs or daytime run lights in my PFL bumper, its just an urge :)
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Gibla

Quote from: TheTigerUK on February 21, 2022, 10:32I don't know why but I would like to fit some fogs or daytime run lights in my PFL bumper, its just an urge :)

1 of mine(Ring) is on a PFL in the grille area just above the # plate, looks neat + makes me vastly more visible to other road users....go with your urge:-)

Joesson

Quote from: TheTigerUK on February 21, 2022, 10:32I don't know why but I would like to fit some fogs or daytime run lights in my PFL bumper, its just an urge :)

I'm very unlikely to need fog lights on my 2 and do have my doubts about fog light effectiveness. Daytime running lights, OE equipment on new vehicles often in some supposedly snazzy form or other have more of a useful function imo, particularly for our comparatively small cars, when viewed from the lofty height of SUV's.
To this end I use dipped headlights when I feel the need.
Nevertheless I have considered DTRL on my PFL and the handy ( brake cooling duct, what else is it for?) seems to lend itself for that function.
Alternatively, behind the grill in the manner of unmarked police vehicles and the like.

paulj

I added some DRLs to my PFL, either side of the numberplate tucked up against the top edge of the grille opening. If you add them, don't forget an automatic switch to turn them off when the headlights come on.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

MisterK

These are Ring DRL's fitted in the bumper and the circular LED DRL's combined with LED fog lights that were a group buy years ago.  I think I've only used the fogs once since fitting them.
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

Gibla

Quote from: MisterK on February 21, 2022, 23:28

These are Ring DRL's fitted in the bumper and the circular LED DRL's combined with LED fog lights that were a group buy years ago.  I think I've only used the fogs once since fitting them.

Stunning, you certainly wouldn't get missed by other road users with that light set-up

TheTigerUK

Quote from: paulj on February 21, 2022, 20:05I added some DRLs to my PFL, either side of the numberplate tucked up against the top edge of the grille opening. If you add them, don't forget an automatic switch to turn them off when the headlights come on.

Why ?

I very much doubt I will need fog lights but day time running lights yes.

JohnGee

Quote from: TheTigerUK on February 22, 2022, 11:45I very much doubt I will need fog lights but day time running lights yes.

DfT guidance very clear that DRL must not operate with headlights on. So that explains why I've ever noticed any car with them both on at the same time.

John

2006 Roadster, manual, leather, in Sable

SV-3

Quote from: TheTigerUK on February 22, 2022, 11:45Why ?

I very much doubt I will need fog lights but day time running lights yes.

As per DfT:

"Retro-fitting DRL
There is no requirement to retro-fit DRL on vehicles not fitted with them as standard. If you decide to retro-fit DRL you should ensure they have been approved to the correct European legislation. This can be confirmed by checking that the approval mark embossed on the lamp contains the letters "RL", see figure 1.

Ideally retro-fitted DRL should be installed such that they activate automatically when the engine starts and switch off when headlamps are turned on. If this is not the case then you must ensure that you manually turn DRL off at night as they will cause dazzle and discomfort to others if used in low ambient lighting conditions"

'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

Call the midlife!

Technically I think the ones fitted in the vents in a PFL bumper contravene the regs as well due to the position...
60% of the time it works everytime...

TheTigerUK

Thanks, I dident know that, I think it will be easier just to continue as I do now by either having the side lights on or dipped head lights, every day is a learning day :)

MisterK

Quote from: SV-3 on February 22, 2022, 13:12As per DfT:

"Retro-fitting DRL
There is no requirement to retro-fit DRL on vehicles not fitted with them as standard. If you decide to retro-fit DRL you should ensure they have been approved to the correct European legislation. This can be confirmed by checking that the approval mark embossed on the lamp contains the letters "RL", see figure 1.

Ideally retro-fitted DRL should be installed such that they activate automatically when the engine starts and switch off when headlamps are turned on. If this is not the case then you must ensure that you manually turn DRL off at night as they will cause dazzle and discomfort to others if used in low ambient lighting conditions"

As per my previous post, the horizontal DRLs were wired so that they automatically go off when the dipped beam is on.  However, I didn't bother doing that with the halo DRLs and they stay on permanently. They were fitted over 6 years ago & they have passed every MOT since fitting, all done at a Toyota main dealer with no mention concerning them.

I fitted LED fogs/DRLs to my wife's IQ 3 years ago & again didn't wire in the cable to automatically turn them off when dipped beam is on.  This too has passed all MOT'S without any problems since being fitted. Maybe it's something MOT testers turn a blind eye to....
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

shnazzle

Quote from: TheTigerUK on February 22, 2022, 14:51Thanks, I dident know that, I think it will be easier just to continue as I do now by either having the side lights on or dipped head lights, every day is a learning day :)
Every day on this forum is both expensive and humbling.

The sheer amount of money spent over my "tenure" as well as the amount I've learned, is staggering. 
...neutiquam erro.

Bernie

My DRL are wired to a relay, come on automatically when the ignition is on and dim 50% when headlights switched on

You cannot view this attachment.

You cannot view this attachment. 

Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

TheTigerUK

BahnStormer

Quote from: Gibla on February 21, 2022, 09:09Zero response in this thread or a similar request in a Fb group. I can only conclude that LED foglight bulbs are seemingly c**p!

If anyone disagrees, chirp up please.
LED's depend on the bulbs that you buy.... some of the cheap "corn cob" ones create lots of "glow", but almost no projected light... while others are VERY bright... but it will depend on how well they can be fitted and where the light is generated from as to how effective they are.

PFL cars aren't great candidates for LED's unless you replace the entire units for a projector-style unit.

For FL cars, fogs and full beam are easy to fit, dipped beam is a LOT more tricky.... see this thread: HERE

I've been using some of the Novsight ones for the last ~5 years. The "big red" ones were about £20 from Amazon, seem to be ~£30 now... one downsdide - previously the fogs were just about usable in normal driving, but I couldn't use those fogs on the road during as they are BRIGHT.

Bulbs:
Front full - W60 HB3 (aka 9005) (Amazon)
Front dipped W55 H7 (Amazon)
Front Fog lights W51 HB4 (aka 9006) (Amazon)

NOTE that in the last ~5 years of MR2 ownership, I've run LED's almost the entire time* - I've never failed an MOT for LED's - although I've had one fail for beam pattern (and the garage advised I ought to swap in Halogen bulbs while I was fixing the beam pattern) and prior to that, I've had a couple of the garages mention it and advise along the lines of "they passed, but we need to warn you that those aren't strictly legal - if the beam pattern wasn't so perfect, then we would be failing it on the bulbs"... but that was with reference to the dipped beam... fogs + full beam are completely ignored.

*see my LED headlight bulb thread for my experiences - some LED's are difficult to secure and the beam pattern will very dramatically if they aren't secure.
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Gibla

Super informative thread sir  :) many thx

Tags: