Rust prevention product review

Started by Mr2highpeak, February 28, 2022, 14:41

Mr2highpeak

Hi all I thought I'd share my thoughts on a rust proofing product auto extreme rust proofer.As some of you might know I've recently acquired a 2005 mr2 and I'm going through bits on it including treating any rust issues. Anyway I thought I'd give the above product a go at just £4 a can. First of all it's quite thin compared to waxoyl branded stuff, however because its thinner it goes on quite easy and comes with a straw and easily gets into the awkward places like the rear subframe. Its a clear wax which I prefer using as you can still see any future potential rust coming through. I reckon 3 cans would be able to cover the underside and wheel arches. I've attached a couple of pictures to give you idea. Anyway I thought I'd share my find for others who are looking for a cheap easy solution to protect their mr2 from rust. At this price I would be doing this once a year. Wear a mask when doing this you don't want to be breathing it in.

A7DUO

Thanks yes that looks a reasonable product that covers well.  I have a dilemma in that I have an almost rust-free 26k miler that I'm trying to keep original throughout but still want to actually use in all weathers, and it would be good to protect while its in good order like you.

Trouble is - as soon as I spray this on future buyers when I'm finished with the car and come to sell might think I'm covering rust, which I wouldn't be, just preventing it.  I will have think about it and watch discussions on this and similar products as I really want to protect my MR-2 as best as I can and Waxoyl can be a bit messy too.

I will probably go for chassis protection before next winter when the salt does down again, as I've got it nice and clean underneath now for this year (thanks to Karcher chassis washer attachment I use every couple of weeks on my cars in winter)
Matt (2001 Toyota MR-2) 2009 Toyota IQ, 2016 Caterham 420R, 2008 Mini Clubman CooperD

Alex Knight

Have you got a link to this product and your method (chassis washer)?

A7DUO

Quote from: Alex Knight on March 17, 2022, 12:26Have you got a link to this product and your method (chassis washer)?
Matt (2001 Toyota MR-2) 2009 Toyota IQ, 2016 Caterham 420R, 2008 Mini Clubman CooperD

TheTigerUK

I have been using this Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 as recommended to me by Carolyyne, it seems good but how good I don't know, time will tell.
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Tags: