Additional foglights (safari/rally style)

Started by SuperArt, March 2, 2022, 15:18

Petrus

Gibla

Ignoring the front it has a vague similarity to the Ford RS200, probably v similar era
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Petrus

Quote from: Gibla on May  4, 2022, 20:20Ignoring the front it has a vague similarity to the Ford RS200, probably v similar era

It is the MR2  8)  222D  prototype for the Group S which never came to be.

There are 3 still about; 2 black, 1 white:

Gibla

stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

steveash

Joesson

Quote from: steveash on May  5, 2022, 09:50It's amazing the difference a pair of spot lamps can make.  ;D

In this case they make it look like a "proper" rally car, although they usually have an array of such.
Not so popular today on street cars as they were in my youth (some time ago) when a couple of lamps were sure to make your car go faster.

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on May  5, 2022, 10:03In this case they make it look like a "proper" rally car, although they usually have an array of such.
Not so popular today on street cars as they were in my youth (some time ago) when a couple of lamps were sure to make your car go faster.

In the case of our cabrio, they actually do allow you to go faster  ;)  ;D 
The lighting of the ZZW30 is not the most hallowed aspect of the car  :P
That observed, I pérsonally have no issue with it since I fitted Osram Nightbreakers.
So for mé it would indeed be the nostalgic rally look  O:-) 
Hence plastic covers are a must  8)
They should be at the petrol station today/tomorrow. Will then measure the size of the TRD sticker needed  :))
Seriously, will first test mount with double sided tape.
Also have several possible solutions to mount them on the bonnet without the U-brackets raising the thing  a few cms. up. Maybe even hug it clóser. Could make the world of difference. Remember I already have the bonnet and front bumper shirt in satin black.

If I don´t like them I will fit them to Esmeralda  >:D

Meanwhile wondering what @SuperArt is up to.

Petrus

Well, not half bad and really nicely compact. They come as fog lights too, so depending on how mounting them ´hugged´ goes, may even order those too!

Petrus

tricky1138

Quote from: Petrus on May  6, 2022, 09:12Well, not half bad and really nicely compact. They come as fog lights too, so depending on how mounting them ´hugged´ goes, may even order those too!

I had the exact same ones on my 1986 Vauxhall Cavalier! A very much thing done in the 90s. As you say, you could get them in spot or fog, and also in round or oblong.

I had round spots above the bumper, and the oblong fogs below the bumper.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Petrus

Quote from: tricky1138 on May 11, 2022, 18:13I had the exact same ones on my 1986 Vauxhall Cavalier! A very much thing done in the 90s. As you say, you could get them in spot or fog, and also in round or oblong.

I had round spots above the bumper, and the oblong fogs below the bumper.

As the Roadster is pretty much a child of the nineties: The first public appearance of a prototype was in ´97  8)
Because of the sleek lines, I think the lamps should be as sleek as possible, like the Cibié Pallas, on the bonnet.

Anyway, depénding...  But I then will go for a matching round set in the mouth of the frog  ;)

Going back to the opening post:

Joesson

Quote from: Petrus on May 11, 2022, 19:11

Just to mention that in the photograph of the Porsche Rally Teams car park I can see examples of two cars that I once owned!

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on May 11, 2022, 19:48Just to mention that in the photograph of the Porsche Rally Teams car park I can see examples of two cars that I once owned!

Beetle and Type 3?

Petrus

Joesson

Quote from: Petrus on May 11, 2022, 20:18Beetle and Type 3?

Half correct, one was the oval window '56 Beetle the other the Fiat 1500.

Joesson

Off topic I know but- the Fiat 1500 was one car I had a handbrake problem with.
Mrs J was in the back of the car with our two very young ones. I stopped the car on a slightly inclined country road to attend to a call of nature. As I started, I looked up to see the car slowly rolling down the road, Mrs J a non driver at the time, reached over and pulled up hard on the hand brake!

Petrus

Quite a large and gentlemanly car when new. We had a dark maroon one in the street and we thought it áwesome.

As we are off topic anyway; not doing anything with the lamps now. Some more farm things, extra hay bale in the paddock and óff to the beach for stripeless vitamin D, tarta de atun for lunch and then some more bum burning  8)

SuperArt

Quote from: Petrus on May  2, 2022, 21:39Meanwhile kinda curious what @SuperArt has thought of. His sourcing skills are impressive remember.

Nothing.
Unfortunately (or fortunately) at a pivotal moment in my career and having to choose between having a life or working my derrière off.
Time will tell but I think I have chosen poorly.
I already have the TRD rainbow foglights, just want an enclosure which looks the part.
Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

SuperArt

This is my most divisive/controversial post, seems like it's not an instantly beloved idea to fit safari lights, totally out of character for me too I must profess. I'm glad it least it is not completely an unsavoury idea and am buoyed that some of you are keen.
Very partial to the silver MR-S with bonnet foglights, also all the examples Petrus posted.
@Petrus you've rather spurred me into action. Will be starting to look into this with more vigor once I can catch a break.
Best regards,
Arthur

SuperArt

Quote from: MRSwede on April 29, 2022, 16:56I'm not sure what to think ?

You cannot view this attachment.

Love it or loathe it, this is exactly what I am going for.
I personally am in love with this look. Will see if I can't mock up some cardboard "brackets" on the weekend to avoid drilling into any body panels.
Best regards,
Arthur

Petrus

Quote from: SuperArt on May 12, 2022, 21:49to avoid drilling into any body panels.

You can mock up using double sided adhesive tape.
Drilling in the bonnet is by fár the easiest fitting and not a biggy. I already have a spare bonnet and in the UK they are quite easily/cheaply sourced.
One tip/hint: Try use lamps that sit as low on the fittings as possible. It will reduce their standing out like the proverbial thumb.
Custom motorcycle after market has surprising options!

Your using TRD lamp units will keep it in your chosen style  8)

Peter Wright

I incorporated mine behind the front grille
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

TheTigerUK

Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Petrus

Quote from: TheTigerUK on May 13, 2022, 08:27I had a 1954 Beetle :)

My first car was a ´72 1302 S with quite pokey 1600 cc engine in orange/red.
Much later bought the charming company a Type 34 Karmann in ivory white.
In retrospect two very, véry nice and incredibly well sorted cars with basically all modern tech you imo need.
The fuel no-economy was basically the only downside.

Petrus

Quote from: Peter Wright on May 13, 2022, 07:54I incorporated mine behind the front grille

Neatly hidden! Like the LEDs in the air intakes too.  I want the IN YOUR FÁCE! rally look though  :-[

And do I see chróme mirrors?

Tags: