Additional foglights (safari/rally style)

Started by SuperArt, March 2, 2022, 15:18

Bernie

Quote from: Petrus on May 13, 2022, 10:21Neatly hidden! Like the LEDs in the air intakes too.  I want the IN YOUR FÁCE! rally look though  :-[

And do I see chróme mirrors?

Correct Peter was a founder member here and his car inspired my search for some
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Petrus

Quote from: Bernie on May 13, 2022, 11:34Correct Peter was a founder member here and his car inspired my search for some

I think those look horribly conspicuous with those nicely hidden spots. Now on mý car ... O:-)

Hóped to get to drilling the holes in the bonnet today (the wires will be hidden) but other distractions prevail  ::)

Peter Wright

Quote from: Petrus on May 13, 2022, 10:21Neatly hidden! Like the LEDs in the air intakes too.  I want the IN YOUR FÁCE! rally look though  :-[

And do I see chróme mirrors?
Yes and the chrome windscreen surround
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

J88TEO

TheTigerUK

I have got to stop reading the forums, I now want, no, need spots behind the front grille and LEDs in the air intakes !! :)

Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Joesson

Additional lights and chrome mirrors 1966 version.

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on May 14, 2022, 15:36Additional lights and chrome mirrors 1966 version.

Ahhh, the Imp  8)  Thanks for sharing!!!  Long time since I have seen one of those. Nóne about here in the south, NONE.  Spanish plebs were only júst starting to get mobile on four wheels with the Seat 600 and as classics they have no fame whatsoever outside of the anglo-saxon world.

Nice engine btw.  They even found use in motorcycle racing sidecars.

Nayway, it all goes to underline that spots/foggies on an MR2 are not thát weird. It is after all a nineties product and the FL has them integrated so if anything it is odd that bar exceptions none are fitted to the PFL. 

Joesson

@Petrus said:
Nice engine btw.  They even found use in motorcycle racing
It was a very lightweight engine, just as well for me as I took it out (with my bare hands, and those of a friend ) to replace the clutch, and then again to replace the clutch  and flywheel with larger diameter as it became knowledge that these were undersized for the power, as were the Metalastik bushes.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Joesson on May 14, 2022, 18:36@Petrus said:
Nice engine btw.  They even found use in motorcycle racing
It was a very lightweight engine, just as well for me as I took it out (with my bare hands, and those of a friend ) to replace the clutch, and then again to replace the clutch  and flywheel with larger diameter as it became knowledge that these were undersized for the power, as were the Metalastik bushes.

I helped my brother in law take his out when I had to helicoil two of his spark plug threads many years ago.
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Petrus

Test fitting.
They will bolt from inside the lamp onto the bonnet. The wires too will go inside.
Adjustment by rubber shim.

Still faffing about placement. They look a bit too far forward but further in they also get higher.

Tbh none too keen on the look. Think they´d look less out of place/ spoiling the bonnet line in the ´mouth´.

Petrus

Note to @SuperArt  make triple sure you pre-fit and test-fit. Use double sided tape and step back.
In mý opinion (plus those of gfs and #1 son) it looks AWFUL on the bonnet. It jars with the elegant line.

Next trying the grill but in front of it. I dó like the rally-esque look.

fawtytoo

Quote from: Petrus on May 16, 2022, 12:17Still faffing about placement. They look a bit too far forward but further in they also get higher.
I thought you would have put them on the bumper rather than the bonnet. Or too far forward?
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Petrus

Quote from: fawtytoo on May 16, 2022, 15:13I thought you would have put them on the bumper rather than the bonnet. Or too far forward?

The stárt was bonnet mount.
On the bumper skirt looks totally out of place; way worse than bonnet mount.
Imo mounting will have to be inside the intake opening. The lamps are nicely compact and I have already re-glued the base I cut off. Will still mount them from the inside through an 8 mm hole drilled in the bottom. The wires now through the back through the grill mesh.
Will Q&D test fit tomorrow but then there is a week´s delay at least.

Gibla

Quote from: TheTigerUK on May 13, 2022, 20:15I have got to stop reading the forums, I now want, no, need spots behind the front grille and LEDs in the air intakes !! :)

re LED in the air intakes https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310844272609 < tested by another forum member (lost the link now) and guaranteed to fit
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Joesson

Quote from: Gibla on May 16, 2022, 17:14
Quote from: TheTigerUK on May 13, 2022, 20:15I have got to stop reading the forums, I now want, no, need spots behind the front grille and LEDs in the air intakes !! :)

re LED in the air intakes https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310844272609 < tested by another forum member (lost the link now) and guaranteed to fit

Referred to as air intakes but for what purpose?
They are perhaps in a position where they could be ducted on to the brake discs, except they are not. So, my thinking is that may or may not have been an option that was not pursued or more likely a cosmetic function only.
Nevertheless it does provide a suitable niche for the  DRL's.

Petrus

Test fitted the micro ones in the grill opening and they fit/look just right.
Even the caps stay flush with the license plate.
Have fitted the switch in one of the spare blank switch inserts in the dash. Looks neat imo.

The two together stay under 300 grams in all btw.

First preparing to pass periodic inspection though and find out whether I can get the spots homologated in the papers befóre fitting them.

Tags: