Door mirrors

Started by steveash, March 11, 2022, 15:57

steveash

On a bit of a whim I just bought some cheap mk1 Audi TT mirrors. I've always liked these deep cowled mirrors and wondered how they might look on the MR2. I'm thinking to try and use the bases of the Toyota mirrors to avoid the slight periscope look of those on the Audi.

Any thoughts on how best to go about it? Anyone done anything similar? Is it going to look daft?

Topdownman

These are some pictures I took trying to dismantle a mirror which may help?

I seem to remember not being able to take the top part off? I think attaching the Audi mirrors "whole" would be best.

I would think it would be an idea to see how the wiring may match up as a first step. Then looking at the angle of the door and how it would, or wouldnt match the Audi angle? Would there be any adjustment possible on the Audi base to change the angle slightly if needed?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

steveash

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'm thinking to get an old MR2 mirror from somewhere to experiment with. I won't bother painting them until I'm sure it will work do don't want my car out of action while I mess around.

The Audi ones have a cast metal base with two legs that pass through the door skin and bolt to the frame. The fittings look quite different as you might expect but hopefully it's doable with some monkeying around.

steveash

Right, I've made a tiny bit more progress on this. There is no way the Base of the Audi mirror will fit. The mounting angle is different and it has cast legs the wrong distance apart. Fortunately though, they both hinge in a very similar way around a vertical spindle so there's a good chance of mating the two together.

I bought a cheap MR2 mirror with a cracked case to experiment on. @Topdownman is quite right that the two halves are difficult to part. The one I bought looks in good condition but inside the base of the spindle/hinge is heavily corroded. Compared to the above image much of the base plate seems to have crumbled away. No wonder most of our mirrors refuse to fold in. It's obviously a weak spot.

Inside the mirror there is a coil spring around the spindle with a C-clip sat inside a dished washer to hold it together.

The spring is hard to budge. I skilfully bodged together a spring compressor from two Y shaped pieces of steel and a couple of nuts and bolts but could only squeeze two coils together and it wasn't any looser. Anyone have any ideas?

My last resort will be to try and cut away the plastic case. I only need the bottom half after all.

From my pretty clueless perspective, the electrics look hopeful as each use 3 wires to control the adjustment.

J88TEO

I did took mine apart to clean the bits...can take a photo of my "special tool"
 ;D

J88TEO

Basically a mini spring compressor.
You cannot view this attachment.
You need to remove the wires.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: J88TEO on July 21, 2023, 23:05I did took mine apart to clean the bits...can take a photo of my "special tool"
 ;D

Well done, I couldn't split mine so I just cleaned the area best I could and soaked the area with oil.
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Tags: