uk mr2 v american?

Started by 105e, March 20, 2022, 07:33

105e

When watching u tube videos where they get under the car, its interesting how rusty uk cars are compared to other places..

shnazzle

Quote from: 105e on March 20, 2022, 07:33When watching u tube videos where they get under the car, its interesting how rusty uk cars are compared to other places..
It's quite a common sight unfortunately.
Salty sea air (being an island and all) and the use of salted grit for many months of the year.

You should see the bottom of our freshly imported Airtrek. Barely a spot of rust. Some bolts still have the original pen marks on them from the factory checks. It's done over 45k miles
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

You should see my Roadster. Scratch ´n dent as honourable proof of a useful life but rúst no.

Looking at young timer Mercs and there are absolutely rust fréé national ones about.

Dev

My area in the US has snow and salt. Although I retired my car for daily around 2011 the other local cars I see that are driven year round in snow and are not garaged kept only having  minor surface rust that never migrates because modern cars like ours are double galvanized.

From all of my dealings with owners from around the world which includes comparable countries with the same or worse climatic conditions favorable to corrosion the UK is the only country where rust seems to be the biggest problem. It is very well likely that its the type of salt used that is eating though the type of rust prevention this car came with that might be different with other Toyotas that are supplied to that region because of the limited production run.

Is rust a problem for all cars in the UK?
 Do domestic cars manufactured in the UK rust?

Toyota does make different versions of the same vehicle based on the the condition of the fuel and road surfaces and I imagine rust proofing. 

Tags: