Now for the ol' razzle Shnazzle

Started by MrChris, March 20, 2022, 19:52

MrChris

Quote from: shnazzle on September 27, 2022, 12:48Get in!!
Freakin sweet

>:D

I cannot believe how well the BCs performed too. They're getting some new bearings soon, but the dampers are still good. I'll just replace those as and when they actually fail. I met a guy there with a 300bhp Nissan 370z, when I saw him later in the day he said he wished he had a light car like my MR2  ;D

Carolyn

Quote from: MrChris on September 27, 2022, 10:18The only problems were fuel starvation at the end of the day where I didn't realise the fuel had got so low, a sharp right-hander sloshed it all away from the fuel pump.

If you're going to do a lot of this track stuff, you want to be careful about oil pressure on right-handers too.  Especially long right handers.  The oil can go the the left hand side of the pan and uncover the scoop in the sump.  Result a spun bearing or two!  Make sure you keep the oil level right up.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

shnazzle

Did I include the extra baffled sump or the OEM sump?
I'm pretty sure I put the one that Carolyn modified in the passenger footwell 
...neutiquam erro.

cptspaulding

Quote from: shnazzle on September 28, 2022, 15:31I put the one that Carolyn modified in the passenger footwell
That might help on the long right handers. Would you move it into the driver's footwell for the left handers? Sounds like a faff to me.
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

MrChris

Quote from: Carolyn on September 28, 2022, 12:04If you're going to do a lot of this track stuff, you want to be careful about oil pressure on right-handers too.  Especially long right handers.  The oil can go the the left hand side of the pan and uncover the scoop in the sump.  Result a spun bearing or two!  Make sure you keep the oil level right up.

I absolutely plan to do more track driving! Interestingly, the fellow owner of the blue 2 said he had recently replaced spun bearings on his 2. Fairly bodge job he seemed to be saying but he was amazed that the engine just continued to work. I don't personally know what is involved as I've not done that sort of work before but he did seem to suggest it was quite easy work? :o

Quote from: shnazzle on September 28, 2022, 15:31Did I include the extra baffled sump or the OEM sump?
I'm pretty sure I put the one that Carolyn modified in the passenger footwell

Yup you did include the baffled one, the OEM was already installed. Swapping them over was one of the first jobs I did. Gives a lot of peace of mind and very glad it was there.

@cptspaulding  ;D

Carolyn

@MrChris:  Dropping the pan and swapping out a couple of spun bearings is fine- until you damage the big end of the con-rod or the surface of the crank.  Best to avoid it.  The quick fix with standard shells will get you by, but remember you've just dumped metal into the oil and round your engine. 
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Call the midlife!

Quote from: MrChris on September 28, 2022, 16:00I absolutely plan to do more track driving! Interestingly, the fellow owner of the blue 2 said he had recently replaced spun bearings on his 2. Fairly bodge job he seemed to be saying but he was amazed that the engine just continued to work. I don't personally know what is involved as I've not done that sort of work before but he did seem to suggest it was quite easy work? :o

Yup you did include the baffled one, the OEM was already installed. Swapping them over was one of the first jobs I did. Gives a lot of peace of mind and very glad it was there.

@cptspaulding  ;D

Replacing spun bearings with the engine out and on a stand is tricky enough to do right, doing it right with the engine in place and dropping the pan is a massive pain in the rear, especially if you can't get it on a lift.
You need a fair degree of competence either way and if you "bodge" them you stand as much chance of them spinning or knocking the first turn of the key.
60% of the time it works everytime...

MrChris

@Carolyn @Call the midlife!  - I guess I will be treading very carefully then if I'm ever in that situation (hopefully not).

In other news, went out to have a look at the brakes to see if anything was leaking and noticed bubbles in the master cylinder. Am thinking it might be done.

MrChris

Very small update. As per my maintenance thread, my brakes are slightly better than they were but I've not got a solid pedal.

Next steps are to try bleeding again. Failing that I will try and double check things like the brake booster.

Had some goodies show up from BC Racing today. 2 sets of bearings for the front shocks. I'm hoping this should make quite the difference because the existing bearings are pretty much shot. They look and feel great anyway:

MrChris

Weekend in the Yorkshire dales, rain and fog spoiled the views somewhat but still enjoyable. Brakes still not perfect, one or two quick pumps while driving and the pedal feels as it should, definitely some air still in the system then.

Car performing well otherwise.

shnazzle

Quote from: MrChris on November  2, 2022, 21:34Weekend in the Yorkshire dales, rain and fog spoiled the views somewhat but still enjoyable. Brakes still not perfect, one or two quick pumps while driving and the pedal feels as it should, definitely some air still in the system then.

It's well familiar with those roads :) 
...neutiquam erro.

Alex Knight

Quote from: MrChris on November  2, 2022, 21:34Weekend in the Yorkshire dales, rain and fog spoiled the views somewhat but still enjoyable. Brakes still not perfect, one or two quick pumps while driving and the pedal feels as it should, definitely some air still in the system then.

Many years ago, I fitted a set of brand new Tarox grooved discs to my ST205 GT-Four.

I had terrible problems trying to get a good pedal, and bled the system many, many times. It didn't work.

I put the old discs back on in desperation and the pedal feel was immediately back to form all the time.

It turned out that the brand new discs were warped very, very slightly and causing pad knock off.

MrChris

Quote from: Alex Knight on November  6, 2022, 08:29Many years ago, I fitted a set of brand new Tarox grooved discs to my ST205 GT-Four.

I had terrible problems trying to get a good pedal, and bled the system many, many times. It didn't work.

I put the old discs back on in desperation and the pedal feel was immediately back to form all the time.

It turned out that the brand new discs were warped very, very slightly and causing pad knock off.

Now that is interesting... I believe the fronts on mine are newish discs and the rears are quite old (drilled and grooved).

One thing I have noticed is the car is diving to the left sometimes under braking, making me think the front calipers are past there best. The rears have been replaced recently.

Alex Knight

Quote from: MrChris on November  6, 2022, 20:33Now that is interesting... I believe the fronts on mine are newish discs and the rears are quite old (drilled and grooved).

One thing I have noticed is the car is diving to the left sometimes under braking, making me think the front calipers are past there best. The rears have been replaced recently.

I also had an issue way back in circa 2013/14 with my car diving to the left under braking. After much investigation it was traced to a goosed damper (I can't remember which side), so bear in mind it's not always related to brakes.

MrChris

Quote from: Alex Knight on November  7, 2022, 16:58I also had an issue way back in circa 2013/14 with my car diving to the left under braking. After much investigation it was traced to a goosed damper (I can't remember which side), so bear in mind it's not always related to brakes.

Thanks, good to know... was hoping my dampers would last a bit longer. Going to start with the brakes first, got a rebuild kit on the way including new pistons. Hopefully this will resolve the brake issue first!

MrChris

Had a look at the brakes today. Offside front had clearly seen better days.

Replaced the piston and boot with new. Test drive revealed a moderate improvement in braking. Need to do the other side for sure.

Also found that the rear pads are not moving particularly freely in their mounts so I will need to clean them up.

But yes... Progress. The car is definitely braking better, stronger and I can rule out the shock absorber being at fault too.