Through the (modified) Rear Bumper Twin Exhaust

Started by Gibla, March 21, 2022, 09:52

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gibla

Maybe old-hat here.

Went to Tomasz Smyk (Rugby-based MR2 enthusiast) who was selling his 2nd hand unit(~2k miles use) that he had manufactured + installed as a trial on his own vehicle. This is his Fb profile btw https://www.facebook.com/niunio1 < if anyone else happens to be interested (really nice personable guy btw)

The looks of this very much lightened backbox(~10kg reduction) with its twin rear exit pipes 1st attracted me (it required a modified crash bar to replace the oem) also with a mesh bumper inset to surround the pipes.

That's the appearance (sadly I cannot fathom how to post a piccy yet  :( ) but to these eyes looks good

The added bonus and the main point of this post was a little unexpected from my pov, is that there is a noticeable performance gain throughout the rev range... how much of a gain? maybe 5-10bhp and pulls stronger from any speed (torque) ....dunno! Cost all in £475, this is one very excellent upgrade imo. As a matter of interest he would do a full custom exhaust for circa £1k which of course is pricey, but if it gives anything like the improvement I have experienced with just the backbox it may well be very well worth it.
stock 2001 green MR-S
stock 2003 solar yellow(currently for Sale, but ....)

Topdownman

Sounds interesting but we need pictures!

When you reply to the post, under the text box on the left is the link titled;

Use imgbb to add image to post

click on this and it offers to drag and drop images or browse your computer to find the image you want.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Gibla

stock 2001 green MR-S
stock 2003 solar yellow(currently for Sale, but ....)

Gibla

#3








These are of my car, the exhausts on both sides need some chrome or carbon-fibre tips from two standpoints :- appearance and cabin noise reduction
stock 2001 green MR-S
stock 2003 solar yellow(currently for Sale, but ....)

J88TEO


Gibla

Sounds very purposeful also:- without the tips it's a tad too noisy in the cabin at the moment, but I have zero doubts when they are installed it will undoubtedly be a tad noisier than stock but not excessively so.
stock 2001 green MR-S
stock 2003 solar yellow(currently for Sale, but ....)

J88TEO

Let's hear it when you have the tips installed.
Always like the way the pipes exit the bumper.

Joesson

@Gibla

I do like the exhaust through the bumper look and sorry, no, I can't see the photos referred to above.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Gibla on March 21, 2022, 13:27
These are of my car, the exhausts on both sides need some chrome or carbon-fibre tips from two standpoints :- appearance and cabin noise reduction


Great look and I imagine with chrome tips it will be even better, impressive.

Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

Not perfect and not cheap :)

Gibla

Quote from: J88TEO on March 21, 2022, 15:24Let's hear it when you have the tips installed.
Always like the way the pipes exit the bumper.

Audio...eek @Topdownman has only just schooled me into posting piccies
Seriously though, Tomasz has tried to take reasonable soundtracks of this before + all are v poor he says.
If you are attending one of the meets, you just may see me there  ;) to be able to hear it.
stock 2001 green MR-S
stock 2003 solar yellow(currently for Sale, but ....)

J88TEO

Planning to attend the one on 22rd May but best laid plans collapse at the sight of the enemy! So hopefully...

Petrus

Quote from: Gibla on March 21, 2022, 16:49Seriously though, Tomasz has tried to take reasonable soundtracks of this before + all are v poor he says.

Ahhh, sweet memories.

Put quite a nice recording on Belle´s thread. The poor girl at the side of the highway patiently doing mý thíng as requested  ;)

Call the midlife!

Quote from: J88TEO on March 21, 2022, 20:35Planning to attend the one on 22rd May but best laid plans collapse at the sight of the enemy! So hopefully...
22nd? Which one? 
60% of the time it works everytime...

Gibla

Quote from: J88TEO on March 21, 2022, 20:35Planning to attend the one on 22rd May but best laid plans collapse at the sight of the enemy! So hopefully...

28th May methinks, check your dates again
stock 2001 green MR-S
stock 2003 solar yellow(currently for Sale, but ....)

Dev

 Custom exhaust and though the bumper is the way to go. It makes the car look exotic.
 It is probably the best feature of my car but very hard to get right with the alignment and pipe choice.


 


J88TEO


J88TEO

Quote from: Dev on March 22, 2022, 20:23Custom exhaust and though the bumper is the way to go. It makes the car look exotic.
 It is probably the best feature of my car but very hard to get right with the alignment and pipe choice.

Can any fabricator be persuaded to do a batch - group buy?


 



Dev

Quote from: J88TEO on March 22, 2022, 20:38Can any fabricator be persuaded to do a batch - group buy?

There was a guy out in California that did several GBs for us long ago. He made two versions, a normal dual version and one though the bumper. Another member made the steel bumper replacement so it would pass through. 

 I asked him to make me one but he was out of the game so I learned to make my own which was a good move because in order for you to get the tips to align you need to have it welded perfectly while it is positioned on the car otherwise if its slightly cockeyed all bets are off. Im not a welder and this was my first weld job which was easier then I thought with a little practice and some YouTube instruction. If I could do it then anyone can and its fun. I was going for the retro vintage look which seems to get a lot of attention.

 







StuC

Quote from: Gibla on March 21, 2022, 13:27







These are of my car, the exhausts on both sides need some chrome or carbon-fibre tips from two standpoints :- appearance and cabin noise reduction


Like that. Tidy job.
As a fellow Rugby driver I am surprised I haven't seen this installation on the road. I know most of the MR2's here. 😂😂
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Gibla

Quote from: StuC on March 22, 2022, 21:30Like that. Tidy job.
As a fellow Rugby driver I am surprised I haven't seen this installation on the road. I know most of the MR2's here. 😂😂

Nah, I tried and failed to upload the pics of Tomasz's car, the one displayed here is mine (based in mid-Wales) His car is an awesome looking 'W' reg beastie
stock 2001 green MR-S
stock 2003 solar yellow(currently for Sale, but ....)

Gibla








The car from Rugby (Tomasz's), this shows the exhaust really well imo. Group Buy?  :- Well I'm sure he would consider something
stock 2001 green MR-S
stock 2003 solar yellow(currently for Sale, but ....)

J88TEO

Quote from: Dev on March 22, 2022, 21:11There was a guy out in California that did serval GBs for us long ago. He made two versions, a normal dual version and one though the bumper. Another member made the steel bumper replacement so it would pass through. 

 I asked him to make me one but he was out of the game so I learned to make my own which was a good move because in order for you to get the tips to align you need to have it welded perfectly while it is positioned on the car otherwise if its slightly cockeyed all bets are off. Im not a welder and this was my first weld job which was easier then I thought with a little practice and some YouTube instruction. If I could do it then anyone can and its fun. I was going for the retro vintage look which seems to get a lot of attention.

Trouble is - I live in a flat with a small garage which has no electric supply.
Garage is just big enough to fit the 2!
 




J88TEO

Quote from: Gibla on March 22, 2022, 22:02The car from Rugby (Tomasz's), this shows the exhaust really well imo. Group Buy?  :- Well I'm sure he would consider something


That would be great!

Gibla

tbf @J88TEO Tomasz already has a large waiting list and has recently experienced supply issues with the pipe suppliers quality of product on offer.

If genuinely interested, I suggest trying him via his FB profile (mentioned in op.)
stock 2001 green MR-S
stock 2003 solar yellow(currently for Sale, but ....)

StuC

Quote from: Gibla on March 22, 2022, 22:02





The car from Rugby (Tomasz's), this shows the exhaust really well imo. Group Buy?  :- Well I'm sure he would consider something


Not one I have seen before. Would have remembered that one. Thanks for posting it.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER