Through the (modified) Rear Bumper Twin Exhaust

Started by Gibla, March 21, 2022, 09:52

Gibla

Drove the car with the twin-loop exhaust yesterday for the 1st time.......hugely impressed

It's relatively quiet, but provides a great shove at all speeds in any gear.

I was effusive about the twin pipe as in the op. < this one (twin loop) exceeds that in power delivery and is much quieter at the same time.
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Gibla

A single exit(twin-loop) thro the bumper exhaust certainly works, although appearance wise it looks slightly inferior compared to the twin exit...can I live with that? you betcha!!

Dev

Quote from: J88TEO on June  8, 2022, 14:16Malian Exhaust now offering this:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265678060075?fits=Car+Make%3AToyota%7CPlat_Gen%3AMK+III%7CModel%3AMR2&hash=item3ddba57a2b:g:5NgAAOSwsaZic6bg

I really like that. Finally a kit for the masses that gets it right because you need adjustable pipes otherwise it will look off.

My only concern is, its going to be loud based on the size of the muffler.

J88TEO

Quote from: Dev on June  8, 2022, 15:17My only concern is, its going to be loud based on the size of the muffler.
Don't fancy forking out £450 to be the guinea pig  ;)

Gibla

Quote from: J88TEO on June  8, 2022, 16:02Don't fancy forking out £450 to be the guinea pig  ;)

That's the beauty of the twin loop, it's roughly the same noise level as oem exhaust(with a different note), but have a noticeable performance gain

Gibla

A few months on .....a different application + set-up

Set Up =

Zero exhaust manifold

Zero sports cat (the mid-pipe)

Tomasz twin-loop backbox

All of the points previously made apply, but ratchetted up to 10

1) Similar to stock noise levels at modest revs/ throttle opening ...maybe a tad noisier, but it's a different note

2) At higher revs the engine note changes from 'flat' as in stock system to something melodic, purposeful,'bassier' < oh and the engine sings up to its redline with ease, totally unlike stock, which in the various '2' I have owned were very reluctant to exceed 6k revs.

Far from a cheap upgrade, but the important thing for me ...I am more than happy at the outcome

Petrus

Quote from: Gibla on October 27, 2022, 08:41Far from a cheap upgrade, but the important thing for me ...I am more than happy at the outcome

Congrats!!

The free revving is, after the decat manifold, due to the better mid pipe. The sports cat also muffles way less than the  OEM one. A pity that most struggle with the emissions test.

But again; congrats!
I particularly like your choice of double loop  8)   Third on my whish list!

Gibla

3rd on your wish list ?

You must enlighten us what are #1 and #2 @Petrus

Something with a weight saving element as a guess .....bodypanels in cf?

Craigjm

Quote from: J88TEO on June  8, 2022, 14:16Malian Exhaust now offering this:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265678060075?fits=Car+Make%3AToyota%7CPlat_Gen%3AMK+III%7CModel%3AMR2&hash=item3ddba57a2b:g:5NgAAOSwsaZic6bg

Out of stock. Wonder if they will be getting more. I guess you would have to do your own modification to the rear grille

Petrus

Quote from: Gibla on October 27, 2022, 09:163rd on your wish list ?

You must enlighten us what are #1 and #2 @Petrus

Something with a weight saving element as a guess .....bodypanels in cf?

Lexan windscreen and fiber bonnet yes.

Gibla

Quote from: Craigjm on October 27, 2022, 10:30Out of stock. Wonder if they will be getting more. I guess you would have to do your own modification to the rear grille

Yes plastic or steel mesh via Amazon is I believe what Tomasz used in one of the applications.

Craigjm

Quote from: Gibla on October 27, 2022, 10:58Yes plastic or steel mesh via Amazon is I believe what Tomasz used in one of the applications.

I had a grille for another car I have made my Zunsport in Cannock so im sure they could do something similar. I emailed Malian and they said the exhausts would be back in stock in a few weeks. I guess with their exhaust you would need a square import size numberplate

Gibla

Quote from: Craigjm on October 27, 2022, 13:19I had a grille for another car I have made my Zunsport in Cannock so im sure they could do something similar. I emailed Malian and they said the exhausts would be back in stock in a few weeks. I guess with their exhaust you would need a square import size numberplate

Yes, plastic or stick-on variety
If on Fb try https://www.facebook.com/niunio1 and/or https://www.facebook.com/rhys.d.dorman 

Dev

Quote from: Gibla on October 27, 2022, 08:41A few months on .....a different application + set-up

Set Up =

Zero exhaust manifold

Zero sports cat (the mid-pipe)

Tomasz twin-loop backbox

All of the points previously made apply, but ratchetted up to 10

1) Similar to stock noise levels at modest revs/ throttle opening ...maybe a tad noisier, but it's a different note

2) At higher revs the engine note changes from 'flat' as in stock system to something melodic, purposeful,'bassier' < oh and the engine sings up to its redline with ease, totally unlike stock, which in the various '2' I have owned were very reluctant to exceed 6k revs.

Far from a cheap upgrade, but the important thing for me ...I am more than happy at the outcome

I am happy for you.
 I wish mine was quieter but sometimes quiet means a sacrifice in tone. It looks like you got the best of both.

Gibla

Last drive today with the twinpipe exhaust(having a twinloop instead), the car had been sold + repurchased. What a glorious sound + a noticeably better shove than stock. A new forum member has bought this exhaust and along with his other mods I'm sure he will regale us in a Reader's ride/New members thread v soon

Petrus

Quote from: Gibla on January  8, 2023, 15:03+ a noticeably better shove than stock.

Yes; removving the mid pipe restriction is surprisingny noticeable and even more so with the restriction of the inlet elbow sorted.
Opening up the inlet has very little effect with the mid pipe restriction in situ.
With the midpipe opened up the inlet becomes the bottle neck.

Tags: