Top Gear Article re Buying Advice for 'Awesome Cars' - features a Mk3

Started by Gibla, March 25, 2022, 21:48

Gibla

stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

fawtytoo

No 4 it may be, but I think the way they compared it to other cars in its class and the Boxster, makes me feel good as an owner of one.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

McMr2

Quote from: fawtytoo on March 25, 2022, 22:26No 4 it may be, but I think the way they compared it to other cars in its class and the Boxster, makes me feel good as an owner of one.

There was an EVO article back in the day with a shootout between the MR2, Boxster and Elise. Might be a copy on here somewhere as I've seen it relatively recently but the MR2 came out pretty well if I recall.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Mickemo

Quote from: Gibla on March 25, 2022, 21:48There is no date on this 'advice', so apologies if it's ancient.

MR2 comes in at #4

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-advice/10-awesome-cars-one-tenth-price-new-ford-puma?fbclid=IwAR17_hp-5QDM-klcUvl-B5Ljy2JZo9A8_iRwIUf7oXEq0x33KG-7XJnvBmQ

Good article that @Gibla I have 5 of those cars on my 'Future Classics' short list...the MR2 is a given but can you guess the other 4 ?

fawtytoo

The only ones that interest me are the MX-5 and the Daihatsu Copen. But mostly the Daihatsu.

Could that be 2 of them?
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Gibla

Petrus

I´ll add the Nissan 1989 Micra Super Turbo (EK10GFR/GAR)  8)

Alex Knight

Quote from: Petrus on March 26, 2022, 22:13I´ll add the Nissan 1989 Micra Super Turbo (EK10GFR/GAR)  8)

For £2300? Are you mental?

Petrus

Just not anglo only oriented.
The world is a bigger place after all.

Over here the MR2 is about three times UK price. A SuperMicra would be cheaper....

But for the rest yes;  most of my world thinks that.  Ánd the salt in the human porridge.

Alex Knight

Quote from: Petrus on March 26, 2022, 23:28Over here the MR2 is about three times UK price. A SuperMicra would be cheaper....

Show me where you can buy a Micra Super Turbo for the equivalent of £2300, and I will buy it right now.

Petrus

Quote from: Alex Knight on March 28, 2022, 14:20Show me where you can buy a Micra Super Turbo for the equivalent of £2300, and I will buy it right now.

Please read my response.
One cannot buy an MR2 ZZW30 in good fettle for that here either, nor a  Copen for that matter; the last I saw for sale was 7K Euros just BC.

But yes, in the UK only universe you are all correct Sir.  I will go stand in the corner corrected and  :-[

Gibla

This just flashed across my screen :-

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/retro/six-japanese-performance-car-oddities?fbclid=IwAR1aVFsHhHvSjcJqXBcd2VxPUvMq-Hr-KQinJBRwOQB4ZG2tP-FvctoXee4

Yet more 'blasts from the past' I owned an FTO :- that was the 1st non-manual car I had ever driven, it had a very pleasant 2.0 V6 engine, looked great (to these eyes) but was a sombre black plastic interior that let the side down somewhat.
A few of those other cars in the list look tasty  ;D

Gibla

Petrus

Quote from: Gibla on March 28, 2022, 22:351992 Mitsu Minica Dangan

Níce.
Júst under the EU emission threshold!

These sort of cars are só much fun to flog up the mountain roads here  8)

J88TEO

I fancy the Daihatsu Copen for my little woman!

Mickemo

A mate owned a Charade GTIi a good while back and it was super fun to drive, I'd forgotten all about these.

Tags: