No radio reception

Started by Mollydog, March 26, 2022, 09:04

Mollydog

When we first got the MR2 the radio reception worked just fine, then after a number of years bit by bit the reception got to a point where it was too crackly to listen to the radio, at the time it didn't really mater too much as we used the CD player most of the time, we just thought it was the radio being faulty

Yesterday I fitted all the extension leads and did a dry run with the new head unit, the one thing that wasn't working was the radio, no reception on both AM and FM

I did a bit of googling and followed on doing some tests with the aerial cable, with a multi meter I discovered there was no continuity between the inner and outer pin or any Ohms, basically the multimeter was showing no signs of a circuit, I've not looked at the aerial at the wing yet as this weekend I don't have much spare time with F1 on TV, is it possible that the aerial cable could of unplugged itself at the aerial at the wing or maybe the cable has a cut between the aerial and the radio?

McMr2

Quote from: Mollydog on March 26, 2022, 09:04When we first got the MR2 the radio reception worked just fine, then after a number of years bit by bit the reception got to a point where it was too crackly to listen to the radio, at the time it didn't really mater too much as we used the CD player most of the time, we just thought it was the radio being faulty

Yesterday I fitted all the extension leads and did a dry run with the new head unit, the one thing that wasn't working was the radio, no reception on both AM and FM

I did a bit of googling and followed on doing some tests with the aerial cable, with a multi meter I discovered there was no continuity between the inner and outer pin or any Ohms, basically the multimeter was showing no signs of a circuit, I've not looked at the aerial at the wing yet as this weekend I don't have much spare time with F1 on TV, is it possible that the aerial cable could of unplugged itself at the aerial at the wing or maybe the cable has a cut between the aerial and the radio?

If it has been a gradual decline is it possible that there may be a corroded connection somehwere, possibly inside the wing at the connection to the aerial? If so perhaps a simple clean and/or maybe re-solder of contact would solve it?

No doubt you've checked, but if the aerial isn't physically up reception will be pretty poor. Only mentioning incase the power to it has been lost somewhere when fitting your new head unit!
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Mollydog

the aerial rises up when the head unit is switched on, and goes down when switching it off,  I  didn't want to be taking the wheel arch liner off but looks like I'll have to

fawtytoo

I would agree with corrosion of connectors. If your soft top drainage has become blocked in the past and ended up with water inside the car, the water will end up exactly on those connections.

And not just the antenna cable, electrics too.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Mollydog

I now know what I'm doing on Monday :)

fawtytoo

Incidentally, there are no connections in the wheel arch. All the connections are behind the drivers seat.

Mollydog

Quote from: fawtytoo on March 26, 2022, 14:18Incidentally, there are no connections in the wheel arch. All the connections are behind the drivers seat.

Is that in the cubby hole behind the driver seat ?

fawtytoo

The connectors are underneath the bottom. To get that out you need to remove the passenger side too because they interlock in the middle. Also the upright piece where the drivers door closes needs to be removed.

I know this because I did it yesterday.
See my post Interior trim removal behind seats

McMr2

Quote from: fawtytoo on March 26, 2022, 14:18Incidentally, there are no connections in the wheel arch. All the connections are behind the drivers seat.

Apologies @Mollydog , I made an assumption about location of connectors.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

fawtytoo

@Mollydog If you're not doing this until Monday, I'll upload some photos of mine to show the connectors. I haven't yet put the interior back in.

fawtytoo

This video might help. F/forward to about 4 minutes in to see all the connectors.
Toyota MR2 Roadster aerial repair

Mollydog

Thank you fawtytoo for the link to your video, I didn't know they were your videos, I've looked at your 10/11 videos a few times now, and the aerial one a few times last week, not yet looked at the last one you put up regarding replacing the rear brake calliper, your videos are very informative

Not been on the laptop much today, as after taking the dogs for their walk this morning , it was F1 for me all afternoon till 8pm at lest, I blame Sky F1

I'll be having the cube box out and see if the connection behind the driver seat is OK and if I have time I'll remove the wheel arch liner to have a look at the aerial for rust/ bad connection

fawtytoo

@Mollydog They're not my videos.

Tags: