Magsafe NAVPOD modification.

Started by Dev, March 26, 2022, 21:26

Dev

This is probably my forth navpod screen modification.

1. Small monitor in the navpod connected to a netbook for PFC road tuning.
 2. Using a magnetic mount for an iPhone 5S
 3. Magic mount magnetic mount for iPhone X for wireless charging

This new upgrade is for my iPhone 13 pro Max. I was able to modify a cheap MagSafe charger from Amazon. MagSafe devices use a ring of magnets found in the newest phones so it has good hold and alignment for charging. This is much better than the wireless charing pads and other magnetic mounts. 

This time around I was able to get the mount sunken in deep so it now looks exactly like a screen without getting washed out from the sun. It is easy to program whatever I need on GPS and place it on the mount and the magnets suck it in with very little effort and as you can seen in the video its easy to detach.

I went though the trouble after being inspired by Mollydogs post since I found away to do a kind of reverse mirroring for my head unit using the JVC app. Now I can see what folder, track and artist is playing with the time stamp of the music so its easy for me to change tracks without having to look down. The really cool thing about this screen is, its 120hz OLED that is crisp. No high end manufacture of car has something like this yet.

Here is a short video. 

Mollydog

I'm loving what you're doing here Dev, I'll have to update my thread with images when I get time

Dev

Looking forward to it. Considering our cars were first made in 1999 its quiet unique that there was a Navpod option. It makes the interior look contemporary.
 I was on Thingsuniverse where they have a 3D file depository and it appears someone scanned the Navpod. It can be printed now. 

J88TEO

Are you doing a batch for sale?

Dev

Quote from: J88TEO on March 28, 2022, 15:22Are you doing a batch for sale?

No chance for that as its a large undertaking and then you have a lot of post processing work. If there is any warping it will look bad or dimensionally the fit will be off. 
 Anyone could take the files and get them professionally printed on an industrial machine which would look much better. They have services that can do it.

J88TEO

Dev

Here is the link to the files. I would download them and keep them for future use because you never know if they will be removed. The internet may change in the future and information will be lost with dead links.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5254073

TheTigerUK

A friend of mine sells CNC machinery and he used to sell professional 3D printers but he no longer sells them because in the main a lot of his customers found the end result wasent that good and the consumables worked out very expensive.
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Dev

Quote from: TheTigerUK on March 28, 2022, 18:28A friend of mine sells CNC machinery and he used to sell professional 3D printers but he no longer sells them because in the main a lot of his customers found the end result wasent that good and the consumables worked out very expensive.

Injected molded plastic is the best way next would be Fiberglass or carbon fiber. 
There might be a good chance that those SLA printers will go mainstream as they have materials that are strong now. 

The original has the right finish and sheen that is an exact match of the dashboard. If its off by a little it will show and draw attention to it which is not what you want.
 I was thinking of also flocking the bottom part of the NAV pod as I think it will add more contrast on the screen by absorbing sunlight.

Mollydog

Thank you for this link Dev, when. I was looking g for this in December last year it hadn't been uploaded yet

I've downloaded the two files and did checked on cost and with P&P it comes to $100 (approx £76) using PLA,

Sadly the creator of this file hasn't offered any instructions on material or fill,

Not sure yet but I might go for this, if I do, my plan is to have the outer shell wider at the top (and the insert) by 10 - 15mm, and the insert alter it to be at least 180mm wide front to back and 100mm tall front to back, as I mentioned no information of material to use or fill is a bit of an issue (for me)

Dev

I personally would not use PLA for automobile applications. I'm not sure about ABS either.
I would consider nylon since it will be able to take harsh environments better.

Mollydog

Dev

You are most welcome. I believe our dashboards are made of PVC plastic. It is very durable being temperure stable and flexible. If I'm not mistaken this material is printable but I would imagine it requires a very high heat profile possibly higher than nylon.
The good news is in near the future once SLA printers are widely available with cheaper high tensile resins we can get almost any hard to find parts reproduced without any of the flaws found with conventional 3-D printing.

Tags: