Mocking up down pipe and other

Started by jvanzyl, April 7, 2022, 23:59

jvanzyl

So I'm going to mock up this:

Probably out of some kind of plastic plumbing pipe to start with, and then I'm going to do it out of stainless.

Can anyone recommend a place to get stainless from for making exhausts?

And where on Earth do you buy flanges from? Tempted to cut up the old stock manifold..

Zxrob

Stainless steel prices have gone through the roof recently, if you purchase from a stockholder, be prepared, best bet is if you have a local fabricator who may have some "off cuts" going cheep

As for the flanges, you can get them from an exhaust fitting outlet, failing that, get them laser cut

Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

Nvy

I am not aware what turbo you are going to use but get some vbands and use some slip on clips. Going to be way easier. Are you sure you want that tight bend?

jvanzyl

Quote from: Zxrob on April  8, 2022, 11:04Stainless steel prices have gone through the roof recently, if you purchase from a stockholder, be prepared, best bet is if you have a local fabricator who may have some "off cuts" going cheep

As for the flanges, you can get them from an exhaust fitting outlet, failing that, get them laser cut

Rob

Thanks Rob

Quote from: Nvy on April  8, 2022, 11:09I am not aware what turbo you are going to use but get some vbands and use some slip on clips. Going to be way easier. Are you sure you want that tight bend?

Gtx2554r
Yes the intention is to use v bands.
That down pipe is what is in the TTE turbo. I'm aiming to use the stock mid pipe location which will hopefully mean more faff now for way less faff later.

Carolyn

Profusion -all the stainless exhaust bits you could want.

https://www.profusionexhausts.com/
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Nvy

Its better to go fully custom if you ask me. Mid pipe is mega small, you would want 2.5 and bigger. The turbo will muffle half of the sound.

Call the midlife!

Try TB Developments for the flanges, not the cheapest but he "knows" MR2s.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Ardent

@jvanzyl

For what it's worth. If I can measure anything for you, off of mine, let me know.

jvanzyl

Quote from: Nvy on April  8, 2022, 16:58Its better to go fully custom if you ask me. Mid pipe is mega small, you would want 2.5 and bigger. The turbo will muffle half of the sound.

I'll see how it goes... the idea is to be able to replace the cat easily if needed.

Quote from: Call the midlife! on April  8, 2022, 17:13Try TB Developments for the flanges, not the cheapest but he "knows" MR2s.

Cool I'll have a look

Quote from: Carolyn on April  8, 2022, 16:51Profusion -all the stainless exhaust bits you could want.

https://www.profusionexhausts.com/

Thanks for this - I'll have a look

Quote from: Ardent on April  8, 2022, 20:41@jvanzyl

For what it's worth. If I can measure anything for you, off of mine, let me know.

Thanks Jason, much appreciated.

Tags: