Amayama Handbrake Cables

Started by JohnGee, April 8, 2022, 09:14

JohnGee

Got my handbrake cables this morning from Amayama, arrived via UPS wrapped and in a box with packaging that would have seen safe delivery of fresh eggs from Japan.

Order placed on 29 March, order confirmed 30 March, received 8 April. I'm impressed.

Future job (before next MoT).

John

2006 Roadster, manual, leather, in Sable

Silver55

Good luck with the install

JB21

How much delivered inc taxes and customs fee? Also PFL or FL cables?

JohnGee

Quote from: JB21 on April 11, 2022, 10:14How much delivered inc taxes and customs fee? Also PFL or FL cables?

Facelift cables.

£35 each cable, £56 delivery (ouch!), total £126 paid to Amayama. No customs, VAT or other demands (to date) 🤞

John

JohnGee

Quote from: Silver55 on April 11, 2022, 09:41Good luck with the install

Thanks, I've read the advice on here and I might post a couple of questions before I start.

John

Ardent

@JohnGee

This will cover most of it.
You do not need to "fully" remove the tank, just lower enough.  But other wise this pretty much covers it.

JB21

Quote from: JohnGee on April 11, 2022, 12:48Facelift cables.

£35 each cable, £56 delivery (ouch!), total £126 paid to Amayama. No customs, VAT or other demands (to date) 🤞

Very surprised UPS released this to yourself without requesting 20% VAT and a duty rate %. It may come in the future...

Did you price these up from Toyota UK?

JohnGee

Quote from: JB21 on April 12, 2022, 09:27Very surprised UPS released this to yourself without requesting 20% VAT and a duty rate %. It may come in the future...

Did you price these up from Toyota UK?

Future demand - possible, hence the crossed fingers in my earlier post.

Yup, £250 the pair!

John

JohnGee

Quote from: Ardent on April 11, 2022, 22:21@JohnGee

This will cover most of it.
You do not need to "fully" remove the tank, just lower enough.  But other wise this pretty much covers it.

Thanks, I've looked at this previously, but there's a heck of a lot going on, the removal of the rear cubby liners so that you can disconnect the fuel filter and a couple of lines from what is identified as the evap unit, plus a good number of disconnects and freeing of lines and braces under the car. But in the video, the chap chose to drop the tank completely, so presumably that's why he had to do all the disconnects.

I'm hoping to do it with a nominal tank drop (famous last words) 🙏

John

Carolyn

Quote from: JohnGee on April 12, 2022, 11:43Thanks, I've looked at this previously, but there's a heck of a lot going on, the removal of the rear cubby liners so that you can disconnect the fuel filter and a couple of lines from what is identified as the evap unit, plus a good number of disconnects and freeing of lines and braces under the car. But in the video, the chap chose to drop the tank completely, so presumably that's why he had to do all the disconnects.

I'm hoping to do it with a nominal tank drop (famous last words) 🙏

Yes  - loosen the bolts that hold the tank in but don't quite take them out.  That much drop will give you enough room.  The cubby hole liners do have to come out, though.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

JohnGee

Quote from: Carolyn on April 12, 2022, 12:11Yes  - loosen the bolts that hold the tank in but don't quite take them out.  That much drop will give you enough room.  The cubby hole liners do have to come out, though.

Loosen the bolts - 👍

Cubby liners out - OK, thanks, but presumably having taken them out there are then a number of disconnects or similar to do. Presumably just taking the liners out doesn't somehow improve tank manoeuvrability?
John

Iain

Did mine without disconnecting any of the fuel filter lines or moving cubby liners.  Took bolts completely out and kept it steady on a trolley jack just enough to not stress the wires. Fiddly, but do-able with some patients.

Also, have a close to empty tank, helps alot.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Iain on April 12, 2022, 13:04Did mine without disconnecting any of the fuel filter lines or moving cubby liners.  Took bolts completely out and kept it steady on a trolley jack just enough to not stress the wires. Fiddly, but do-able with some patients.

Would patients be healthy enough to help ? sorry I will get my coat, couldent resist :)
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Chilli Girl

Yes I should get it John.  No chit chatting on this post please ;)  😂
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Silver55

Quote from: Iain on April 12, 2022, 13:04Did mine without disconnecting any of the fuel filter lines or moving cubby liners.  Took bolts completely out and kept it steady on a trolley jack just enough to not stress the wires. Fiddly, but do-able with some patients.

exactly how I did mine a few weeks ago.

JohnGee

Quote from: Silver55 on April 15, 2022, 08:07exactly how I did mine a few weeks ago.

@Carolyn advises that the cubby liners have to come out, see above, did you have to do that? I don't really see what that adds to the drop, though I've never dropped the tank so it's probably down to my lack of understanding.

John

Carolyn

Quote from: JohnGee on April 15, 2022, 08:36@Carolyn advises that the cubby liners have to come out, see above, did you have to do that? I don't really see what that adds to the drop, though I've never dropped the tank so it's probably down to my lack of understanding.

It's a long time since I did mine -so I may well be wrong. Taking them out is not a big job though.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Silver55

Quote from: JohnGee on April 15, 2022, 08:36@Carolyn advises that the cubby liners have to come out, see above, did you have to do that? I don't really see what that adds to the drop, though I've never dropped the tank so it's probably down to my lack of understanding.

I didn't remove cubbies or disconnect anything. I had in mind that I might have to if it got tight, but I managed enough wriggle room for skinny arms without anything getting tight or snagging.  It might be different with aircon though? - I've read that gets in the way.

JohnGee

Quote from: Carolyn on April 15, 2022, 08:57It's a long time since I did mine -so I may well be wrong. Taking them out is not a big job though.

👍
John

JohnGee

Quote from: Silver55 on April 15, 2022, 09:16I didn't remove cubbies or disconnect anything. I had in mind that I might have to if it got tight, but I managed enough wriggle room for skinny arms without anything getting tight or snagging.  It might be different with aircon though? - I've read that gets in the way.

Thanks, I've no air coin either, so less clashes. When I do it, I'll just try dropping the tank on the bolts, but will be ready to remove cubby liners and other bits n pieces just in case.

John

Tags: