Underseal

Started by fawtytoo, April 26, 2022, 17:10

fawtytoo

Just got my car back from the garage. One thing I asked to be done was geometry, but they couldn't do the rear because of underseal and the rear n/s is "way off".

I'm a bit annoyed about this, and I don't know what to do.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Topdownman

My new car has been previously undersealed and it seems to come off with white spirit and a scraper/wire brush so maybe you will be able to clean it off if it is stopping some adjustment (although not sure what that would be?).

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Carolyn

Your alignment shop is bobbins.. Shifting a bit of goop to get at g the nuts and bolts is hardly difficult.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Joesson

Quote from: fawtytoo on April 26, 2022, 17:10Just got my car back from the garage. One thing I asked to be done was geometry, but they couldn't do the rear because of underseal and the rear n/s is "way off".

I'm a bit annoyed about this, and I don't know what to do.

How very helpful of them, having the opportunity to resolve a customer problem they instead advise that you have problem without offering a resolution.
They've done half a job which is not worthy of payment because the alignment really needs doing in one operation.
Maybe time to find another more helpful garage.

fawtytoo

Quote from: Carolyn on April 26, 2022, 20:14Your alignment shop is bobbins.. Shifting a bit of goop to get at g the nuts and bolts is hardly difficult.
Is it really that easy to remove? I was a bit surprised too but felt I should ask on here for a second opinion.

This was at a garage that are, er, better than the last garage and I know both mechanics quite well.

Perhaps I'll go back to the tyre centre to see what they say.

fawtytoo

I forgot to follow this up after returning to the tyre centre.

When I told them the "other" garage wouldn't remove the underseal to check the tracking, there was a lot of confused looking faces. One of them remarked that maybe they didn't want to get their hands dirty. I said their confused look was the same look I had.

Anyway, tracking all done now. Need to look after those new tyres.

McMr2

Quote from: fawtytoo on May 13, 2022, 11:02I forgot to follow this up after returning to the tyre centre.

When I told them the "other" garage wouldn't remove the underseal to check the tracking, there was a lot of confused looking faces. One of them remarked that maybe they didn't want to get their hands dirty. I said their confused look was the same look I had.

Anyway, tracking all done now. Need to look after those new tyres.

I'd bet most places would rather a bit of underseal than having to crack out the torch to get some serious heat into seized nuts and rod ends. Glad you've got it sorted.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Tags: