Exhaust Question

Started by Gibla, May 4, 2022, 16:59

Gibla

This is not a for sale thread

I am wanting to know if there is any value and potential demand for the following oem (complete) exhausts  ie, exhaust manifold(with precat still present I think), midpipe with cat, backbox.

One at ~48k miles ostensibly in vg condition

Another at ~88k miles (as above in good condition)

A complete stab in the dark (with no sound basis for plucking these # out of thin air)

48k one ~£250? , 88k one ~£175? (sold either as complete or in the constituent parts)

Value of cats meant to be high - but has anyone got any figures ? .....Someone was quoting £215 for precat and main cat (from the Fb page)

Any advice/thoughts appreciated
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

J88TEO

Exhaust as in the complete system or just the muffler?

Gibla

Quote from: J88TEO on May  4, 2022, 17:11Exhaust as in the complete system or just the muffler?

Complete system or the constituent parts (will doctor the op to reflect + clarify that point)

Mollydog

Personally I would say (think) as our cars are 17 - 22 years old there will soon be a time when we won't be able to buy quite a few items for our cars

Myself I wouldn't be throwing anything that might be in short supply away, even if at this time buyers are far and few

Gibla

I agree with those sentiments @Mollydog , what I omitted from the op was that I wanted to replace the OEM exhaust(s) with an upgraded aftermarket type + was gauging if I could somehow offset those costs by selling the old system.

Call the midlife!

You're better off getting a price locally for the scrap value and then offering them for sale for at least the same amount, delivered. 
Otherwise you'll end up selling them too cheap and someone else probably cashing them in for the scrap.
60% of the time it works everytime...

J88TEO

The muffler is not worth much unless one wants originality.
Same for the header.
The mid pipe can be had from C4U at quite reasonable price.

Call the midlife!

The manifold, with precats intact is only worth scrap value, which is a reasonable amount, ironically.
60% of the time it works everytime...

J88TEO

So take the precat out and sell as scrap and then sell the de-cat header.

Gibla

Good plan @J88TEO, I will try to do just that. ps local recycler offered me £187(current value) for both cats

Ardent

I'd take that

Petrus

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May  5, 2022, 11:07The manifold, with precats intact is only worth scrap value, which is a reasonable amount, ironically.

So no collectors value for the collector just yet?

The one I have taken off it still pristine and I will keep it as I have all oem bits.   Keeping them as investment because óne day.... ;-)  Nah, in serious, if you have the space it´s all keepers as the oem stuff is simply getting sparse.

Tags: