Breakdown Cover

Started by tricky1138, May 5, 2022, 10:10

tricky1138

Thought I'd look at getting breakdown if I'm going to be going to Ding Day and Hatton, for that just in case option!

Any recommendations?

Cheapest on Compare website is a company call Nova Direct - never heard of them!
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

puma2

:) i use Gem Motoring as have been very helpful in the past plus they cover you not the car less than £100
AA/RAC very expensive for the same cover

tricky1138

Cheers Paul.

I used to be with Gem many years ago as got Civil Service Discount. Will have another look.

Should add, really just looking for basic cover - just if I breakdown at Wrexham, I'd like to get home! haha

Other car is covered by warranty so just the MR2 to cover.

RAC do an "essentials" cover for £35 which seams good value - As it says just the basic, try fix and recover you home if they cant.

Limited to 5 call outs a year, but as the car isnt out much more than that, guess you take the chance!
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

rusty0273

If you've got more than one vehicle needing cover LV/Britannia do it on a person/couple basis. Think I'm paying £58 for wife and I. Doesn't matter what car you are in. Might be worth a look if that suits.

tricky1138

Quote from: rusty0273 on May  5, 2022, 12:52If you've got more than one vehicle needing cover LV/Britannia do it on a person/couple basis. Think I'm paying £58 for wife and I. Doesn't matter what car you are in. Might be worth a look if that suits.

£113 for me!  :o

Just looking for covering the MR2 only, when I'm a distance away from home really.

puma2

:) don't go to cheap the other thing you have to look for is age of your 2 some basic 1s only cover under 15 year old.

plenty of comparisons sites able to do this now.

RAC  sale on now if any good :))

tricky1138

Quote from: puma2 on May  5, 2022, 13:16:) don't go to cheap the other thing you have to look for is age of your 2 some basic 1s only cover under 15 year old.

plenty of comparisons sites able to do this now.

RAC  sale on now if any good :))

You are right Paul, you have to say what car, as some dont cover it for age.

Gem have just emailed me a 30% off promo code for requesting a quote ( guess its their way of suckering you in) - but it worked for me - for £10 more than the essentials RAC cover I get no excess or call out fee!

Guess with everything you can make it cheaper if you're prepared to gamble that you dont need them!

Joesson

A relatively new Breakdown Provider is Rescue Mate see review :
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet-industry-news/2021/08/02/rescuemate-launches-on-demand-recovery-service

Cost is nothing up front and pay as / if you need it.

I signed up last year iirc as I wasn't Going to be far from home.

I have used Start Rescue as a lower cost option than Green Flag and they rescued me when I lost all of the coolant from my 2.

I will do my usual checks as I do when insurance is due. Last year's Best Buy isn't always this years.

Joesson

Just done a very quick check and Start Rescue all inclusive £66.05 quoted against my registration number 02 , if I don't want home start £56.80.

Bernie

I'm with AutoAid they do a named people policy over however many cars you have and will include older cars

https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

SV-3

Quote from: puma2 on May  5, 2022, 10:31:) i use Gem Motoring as have been very helpful in the past plus they cover you not the car less than £100
AA/RAC very expensive for the same cover
Ditto.
Have had to call GEM out when on holiday in the daily - excellent service.
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

Gibla

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread :- it has shaken me out of using Lloyds Platinum (at £21/month) for AA, WW travel + phone insurance(the latter two remained unused + not applied for even tho part of a package.

So have joined one of the breakdown co. for an ~ £170/pa saving.

Laziness + inertia overcome today  ;D 
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

SV-3

Quote from: Gibla on May  5, 2022, 20:52Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread :- it has shaken me out of using Lloyds Platinum (at £21/month) for AA, WW travel + phone insurance(the latter two remained unused + not applied for even tho part of a package.

So have joined one of the breakdown co. for an ~ £170/pa saving.

Laziness + inertia overcome today  ;D 
Well done.
After the first year both the AA and RAC rely on us not being pro-active, and massively inflate their prices😴
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

Tags: