Nuts! (For wheels)

Started by fawtytoo, May 28, 2022, 20:26

fawtytoo

I have standard PFL wheels but the wheel nuts appear to be different lengths and mixed up on each wheel.
So I'm guessing some are longer because they go on the back? Or the front?
Or have I got the wrong wheel nuts?
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Joesson

Quote from: fawtytoo on May 28, 2022, 20:26I have standard PFL wheels but the wheel nuts appear to be different lengths and mixed up on each wheel.
So I'm guessing some are longer because they go on the back? Or the front?
Or have I got the wrong wheel nuts?

@TheTigerUK
Posted  very similarly very recently. His long and short nuts were mixed up by a garage. I believe the longer ones go on the rear wheels as that end of the car is heavier.

fawtytoo

Quote from: Joesson on May 28, 2022, 20:45@TheTigerUK
Posted a very similarly very recently.
I thought someone did, I just couldn't find it.

fawtytoo

Found it! (Not sure how to link to other threads).

QuoteFor those guys who are worried about extra weight I checked these while they were off.

Front short ones 37.5mm overall, weighed 69gr

Rear longer ones 42.5mm overall, weighed 77gr
Thanks @Joesson & @TheTigerUK

Ardent

The longs to the rear
The shorts to the front.
Just like photos.

rusty0273

Quote from: Joesson on May 28, 2022, 20:45@TheTigerUK
Posted  very similarly very recently. His long and short nuts were mixed up by a garage. I believe the longer ones go on the rear wheels as that end of the car is heavier.
Yes - not because the car is heavier though. The wells are deeper on the rear wheels so the longer nuts are flush with the outer wheel surface. Nice attention to detail by Toyota.

Joesson

Quote from: rusty0273 on May 29, 2022, 11:24Yes - not because the car is heavier though. The wells are deeper on the rear wheels so the longer nuts are flush with the outer wheel surface. Nice attention to detail by Toyota.

One could ask why the "wells" are deeper, likely because the wheels are wider, and then why are the wheels wider?

fawtytoo

Quote from: Joesson on May 29, 2022, 13:07One could ask why the "wells" are deeper, likely because the wheels are wider, and then why are the wheels wider?
The wheels didn't need to be wider at the hub. Only at the rim.

Joesson

Quote from: fawtytoo on May 29, 2022, 22:28The wheels didn't need to be wider at the hub. Only at the rim.

That would then require a dished wheel if the hub face stayed in the same relative position. Alternatively the hub would need to be thicker to reach the wheel. The hub being part of the brake disc is a replaceable item, the extra material would increase the cost of a replacement disc and add rotating mass. Perhaps longer wheel nuts were chosen for a reason.

fawtytoo

Could the different lengths be aesthetic?

The OEM locking wheel nuts are all the same size.

Joesson

Quote from: fawtytoo on June  2, 2022, 14:12Could the different lengths be aesthetic?

The OEM locking wheel nuts are all the same size.

Not sure that a lack of belief has anything to do with this!

Tags: