F&F 2

Started by Petrus, June 5, 2022, 08:42

Petrus

As silly and non realistic as it is, at least the first in the franchise were not computer ´enhanced´.
Sóme proper driving even.
Oddly enouugh 2 and 1 being not a shade of Tokyo Drift but at least ....  saw the blue MR2 Spyder again in 2  8)

A pity it stood still, more so that it has 17" rims but... it did have the ragtop down.

As a side note, in 2 the gvt interest in control over car electronics was made crystal clear. Today it is made mandatory under the euphemism of ´drivers aids´.

Doúbly enjoyed parking on the throttle at the local watering hole.
One waiter was looking on from the terraced entry with  :o
Kept staring intendly and fínally asked about what brand the car is.
´Well a Hello Kitty of course!´ observed Mountain Girl.... 8)

Dev

I remember when the first F&F movie came out and there was a lot of hype about it on a car forum I belonged to. I didn't know what to expect and took a good friend who is a popular local Ferrari owner and track racer.
I was embarrassed and apologized to him profusely during the movie. Sometimes no CGI special effects are a good thing but if the premise of the movie and plot is lost then it doesn't really matter.
The ride home was awkward.

Alex Knight

Quote from: Dev on June  5, 2022, 15:51I remember when the first F&F movie came out and there was a lot of hype about it on a car forum I belonged to. I didn't know what to expect and took a good friend who is a popular local Ferrari owner and track racer.
I was embarrassed and apologized to him profusely during the movie. Sometimes no CGI special effects are a good thing but if the premise of the movie and plot is lost then it doesn't really matter.
The ride home was awkward.

To me, the first film was more about brining awareness of an oft maligned subculture to the masses, rather than being a documentary accurate depiction of the actual street racing that was going on at the time.

Sure, there were times it made no sense to anyone who actually knows about cars, but that doesn't really matter to me. It's fair to say some artistic licence was taken to give the film a broader appeal.

If you look at it that way, I'd say it still stacks up 👍🏼

Petrus

Only in the beginnings the cars and street thing had a some sort of red thread. After Tokyo Drift the cars are simply the excuse for spectacular scenes for an action movie.
The plot is just as important as the car thing; hardly. It is simply entertainment.

I think in 7 there is a an air harpoon which features several times. It shoots on NO2. Yeah man, awesome. And silly  :))   

I have disconnected my common sense from the genre whether it is Mission Impossible (aptly named), mercenary stuff or F&F. Mountain Girl enjoys it so; happy wife... Luckily nowadays my son takes up the accompanying role as well.
Sómetimes the distancing is not possible though. I remember a Mission Impossible with extensive motorbike chases in which the stuntmen had to have different tyres for the stunts in the same chase. Totally logical but then do not include close ups of the tyres. I knów hardly anything is going to be ´correct´ but it makes no sense to show the proof on full screen.

Top Gun 2 is a perfect example. Totally daft but good entertainment; more family comedy than action film. I could almost ignore the bellicose patriotism.

Bottom line is that these main stream action films are about the box office, never mind the red thread excuse
for the action.
Never mind the idiocracies. It bugs me more that NO2 is a nogo in Spain.

Dev

Most all action movies or movies in general are over the top. It is a forum of entertainment that is trying to arouse the viewer and most people will just go along as that is part of the relationship between the director and the viewer but it is an art form.
 However there comes a time when it is lame but most of all cringe worthy with poor continuity. That is my issue with it and I always thought it was hilarious that the Expendables movie franchise made fun of it. 
 I remember way back when this got out of hand it. It was around the 90s with the John Woo movies and then Michael Bay.

I seen this a few days ago and it made sense to me. Its very unfortunate that the Academy does not have a category for the stunt people.

Tags: