Martin

Started by Fefelarue, August 2, 2022, 13:28

bobbe

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on September 21, 2022, 18:07The mechanism that the column rises in can be modified. The bottom of the wheel 20mm higher or so.

Interesting - is there any information online about this?

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: bobbe on September 22, 2022, 12:35Interesting - is there any information online about this?

Nope, I don't know of anyone else having done it. You need a drill & bits & a round file.
Take off the under dash plastics & view how the column is controlled. Open the slot out of the guide at the top.  A little achieves quite a lot.

bobbe

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on September 22, 2022, 15:48Nope, I don't know of anyone else having done it. You need a drill & bits & a round file.
Take off the under dash plastics & view how the column is controlled. Open the slot out of the guide at the top.  A little achieves quite a lot.

Okay, thanks!

Fefelarue

After 2 months of waiting, I finally have one of these:

So I booked my car into Powerflow in Mitcham for a full custom system. They had a slot 5 days away which I took, then realised there was a bit of work to do because I want a bumper-exit system.

So I borrowed my mother's garage for an evening:

took the bumper off:

Then realised it was a Sunday evening, and I hadn't brought a deep enough 15mm socket to remove the crash-bar. But I had a hacksaw and an adjustable wrench (and am planning on running crash-bar-less) so I made it work:

But on to the bumper: The plan was to have no rear grille, and to clean up the bumper a bit so it looks like it was like that from the factory. So here it is with the grille removed:

Then with the little clips cut off:

Then with the longer trims also cut off:

Then I stuck the plate back on and drove it home like this:

But wasn't happy with the plate positioning. It didn't really work with the "that could be OEM" look I want to go for.

So I went to my workshop, grabbed a hammer, and turned this 3mm stainless wire..

..into this:

Which goes on like this:

Then finally drove it to Powerflow last night, picked it up today, and it currently looks like this:

Thanks for reading!

Hammond

Quote from: Fefelarue on September 27, 2022, 20:10After 2 months of waiting, I finally have one of these:

So I booked my car into Powerflow in Mitcham for a full custom system. They had a slot 5 days away which I took, then realised there was a bit of work to do because I want a bumper-exit system.

So I borrowed my mother's garage for an evening:

took the bumper off:

Then realised it was a Sunday evening, and I hadn't brought a deep enough 15mm socket to remove the crash-bar. But I had a hacksaw and an adjustable wrench (and am planning on running crash-bar-less) so I made it work:

But on to the bumper: The plan was to have no rear grille, and to clean up the bumper a bit so it looks like it was like that from the factory. So here it is with the grille removed:

Then with the little clips cut off:

Then with the longer trims also cut off:

Then I stuck the plate back on and drove it home like this:

But wasn't happy with the plate positioning. It didn't really work with the "that could be OEM" look I want to go for.

So I went to my workshop, grabbed a hammer, and turned this 3mm stainless wire..

..into this:

Which goes on like this:

Then finally drove it to Powerflow last night, picked it up today, and it currently looks like this:

Thanks for reading!

Looking good so far! Is it sounding as you hoped?
05' silver

Ardent

Well played.

Just my personal preference, I would look to lose some of the excess yellow of the plate.

Topdownman

Impressive work. That hacksaw got a good workout! I thought you had some plastic grille to go in at first but in later photos I realised that was the floor mat!

Any chance of making up a smaller crash bar that wouldnt be visible but would add a bit of strength/ protection back?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Fefelarue

Quote from: Hammond on September 27, 2022, 22:39Looking good so far! Is it sounding as you hoped?

Thank you! Honestly it's louder than I wanted, i'm taking it back today to ask for an additional resonator or silencer to be plumbed in.

Quote from: Ardent on September 27, 2022, 23:36Well played.

Just my personal preference, I would look to lose some of the excess yellow of the plate.

I hear you, but I honestly prefer it with the full plate, as it looks less 'modified'. I want the car to look like Toyota could have made it that way.

Quote from: Topdownman on September 28, 2022, 09:14Impressive work. That hacksaw got a good workout! I thought you had some plastic grille to go in at first but in later photos I realised that was the floor mat!

Any chance of making up a smaller crash bar that wouldnt be visible but would add a bit of strength/ protection back?

Thanks! It's something I'm trying to decide on at the moment. I'm less fussed about protection and more about trying to hide the ugly crash-bar mounting points. Maybe just a coat of matte black paint is in order.

Fefelarue

So a couple of small updates. Firstly I got myself a spacer for the steering wheel so I can actually use it without hitting the indicator stalks all the time:

Secondly, the exhaust was far too loud with the single box, so I took it back to powerflow, and they re-made the whole thing with a Y pipe, each side then going through it's own silencer. And I love it even more than the last one:

Yes I know the plate is wonky  ;D

puma2

:)) wonky may be still nice job  8)  8)
looking good keep up with the good work :)  :)

Hammond

Coming together nicely now! Keep it up pal.
05' silver