Faux Carbon Fibre Wing Mirrors and Vents

Started by Gibla, August 30, 2022, 10:51

Gibla

Just asking if anyone has any knowledge or information on something like this.

Authentic cf is not really required(although if they exist please enlighten me), it's more the appearance or illusion I am looking for. 
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

StuC

I visited a place not far from here that were looking to do side vents. From memory they were going to work out to be £200-300 mark, that was a fair while ago too.

I'll see if I can dig out the thread.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

StuC

Joesson

Quote from: Gibla on August 30, 2022, 10:51Just asking if anyone has any knowledge or information on something like this.

Authentic cf is not really required(although if they exist please enlighten me), it's more the appearance or illusion I am looking for. 

You may like to try this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6rTWaV1imzs

StuC

Sorry you said faux. My head isn't screwed on right today.
Ignore my posts.
Gonna go lie down now. 🤦�♂️

McMr2

I posted a reply but seems to have got lost in the ether.

If it's purely for looks you should look on YouTube at hydro dipping/printing.

Not something I can endorse as I've never done it, but it seems there are places offering to do car parts and CF is one of the readily available patterns.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Call the midlife!

Dipping might not be suitable for the mirrors as they're an absolute biatch to disassemble and I'm not sure the dip would survive the wrestling match putting them back together...
60% of the time it works everytime...

Gibla

Gibla

Quote from: McMr2 on August 30, 2022, 11:12I posted a reply but seems to have got lost in the ether.

If it's purely for looks you should look on YouTube at hydro dipping/printing.

Not something I can endorse as I've never done it, but it seems there are places offering to do car parts and CF is one of the readily available patterns.

Good idea for the vent, as @Call the midlife! mentions a bit later maybe not so good for the wing mirrors, but thx for the input ..good stuff

Petrus

You can have parts overlayed with ´water transfer print´ aka ´hydro dipping´ incl. with carbon look. Most likely the easiest and cheapest.

It is an almost magical process with the print floating on the surface tension of water and the part rising up from under it  8)

see https://www.wickedcoatings.co.uk/category/film-design/carbon/

edit; sorry, was mentioned already. Points go to McMR2.

Gibla

All excellent practical + probably fairly cheap(ish) ideas folks ....ta

I sent across a message to the man doing the carbon fibre roofs (Tomasz) with the word heresy as its opening

he came back to me with a reply that there is a probability that he/they will start manufacturing something in

cf ....so as long as not grossly silly money I may hold out for that

As a reminder ;- thread re cf hardtops here https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=73190.0

shiny

I have these carbon fibre ones fitted where they came from no idea.
not much help sorry.
You cannot view this attachment.   

Ardent

Gibla

Quote from: shiny on September  3, 2022, 16:25I have these carbon fibre ones fitted where they came from no idea.
not much help sorry.
You cannot view this attachment.   

Asking a leading question @shiny .....could I make you an offer on those that you couldn't refuse  :)

Seriously if vaguely interested in selling or swapping please consider. What colour car have you got btw?

shiny

No sorry Gibla not for sale. pfl silver.

thanks

Gibla

Quote from: shiny on September  4, 2022, 07:40No sorry Gibla not for sale. pfl silver.

thanks

Ah well @shiny, if ever you change your mind I would provide either silver,sable or black fl vents along with a wee bit of £cash.
Cheers

shiny

Anybody else have these fitted? If I remember correctly I paid £50 the pair around 5 years ago.

Tags: