Gearbox Oil Overfilled?

Started by Ryggwelter, September 22, 2022, 20:46

Ryggwelter

Hi All,
I've got a 2004 6 speed and think a gearbox oil change is long overdue (not had one for at least 12 years, possibly never? But car has only done 36k miles)
I've taken the speedo cover off to have a look at the oil and found the oil was only about 2cm below the cover. From what I've read it shouldn't be this full. I was planning to drain via the 24mm plug and then refill via the speedo cover (not got ramps so access underneath is difficult), and use the hex filler hole to set the correct level. I'd expect to put in about 1.8l but I'm nervous about putting back less oil than it has now...and has been running happily for more than a decade.
Thanks for any advice. ;D
2004 MR2 Roadster RED edition.TTE Style Bar. Dev\'s Keyhole Covers. Small Mongo\'s

Call the midlife!

You can do it without ramps without any bother although it's easier if you jack it up from the nearside to make it easier for reaching in at the drain and fill holes. Just sit it back down to fill it up.
Helps to take the airbox out to see where you're feeding the hose down for filling but there's a very good "how to" in the academy section here.
1.8l is the recommended fill which SHOULD just start coming out of the fill port, regardless of whether you use that or the top one.
Just make sure you can get some fresh in before you drain the existing stuff (I know you've already had the top plug out)
60% of the time it works everytime...

Ryggwelter

Thanks for the tips   ;D
Can you confirm how much oil I will need? I see some posts on here (including shnazzle's excellent how to's) say 2.1l/3 bottles whilst others say 1.8l and 2 bottles is enough?
2004 MR2 Roadster RED edition.TTE Style Bar. Dev\'s Keyhole Covers. Small Mongo\'s

Carolyn

The six speed box takes the larger amount of oil.  The unused speedo hole will be very close to the top with the correct amount of oil.  I do know the five speed box will overflow if you fill that  way.  I did it once, but jacked the rear of the car up to prevent the overflowing.

It's best to use the filler plug as your fill point because it will set the level properly.  Remember, when you drain the box, not all of the oil comes out, so the required amount to refill is a slightly variable quantity.

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

McMr2

Quote from: Ryggwelter on September 22, 2022, 20:46Hi All,
I've got a 2004 6 speed and think a gearbox oil change is long overdue (not had one for at least 12 years, possibly never? But car has only done 36k miles)
I've taken the speedo cover off to have a look at the oil and found the oil was only about 2cm below the cover. From what I've read it shouldn't be this full. I was planning to drain via the 24mm plug and then refill via the speedo cover (not got ramps so access underneath is difficult), and use the hex filler hole to set the correct level. I'd expect to put in about 1.8l but I'm nervous about putting back less oil than it has now...and has been running happily for more than a decade.
Thanks for any advice. ;D

When I did mine (not ramps) I tried to fill by using a funnel and long piece of tube down into the filler hole. Nightmare.

Gave up and bought a 500ml syringe and it was a doddle.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Ryggwelter

That's great - thanks all for your help  8)

Ardent

@Ryggwelter

18 posts in 12 years.  :o

But you are here. How many silent members do we have.
Readers not posters.

Do let us know how you get on.
What gear oil have toy gone for.
OEM? Redline? ???

Ryggwelter

QuoteWhat gear oil have toy gone for. OEM? Redline?

Yes, I did consider Red Line as it is well regarded by members. In the end, as I don't have any issues currently and I'm pretty sure it isn't Red Line in there at the moment, I went for fully synthetic GL-4 from Comma that's on offer in Halfords at the moment  :)
I've not changed the oil yet...job for a wet Saturday  :))

Joesson

Quote from: Ryggwelter on September 27, 2022, 12:45Yes, I did consider Red Line as it is well regarded by members. In the end, as I don't have any issues currently and I'm pretty sure it isn't Red Line in there at the moment, I went for fully synthetic GL-4 from Comma that's on offer in Halfords at the moment  :)
I've not changed the oil yet...job for a wet Saturday  :))

Halfords also had Comma brake fluid at a good price earlier in the year, maybe still do.

Tags: