Deep scratch

Started by McMr2, October 4, 2022, 14:34

McMr2

Normally I'm not too fussy about the odd scuff or scrape, but I have a deep, long (200mm) scratch on my passenger door.

It's too deep to be saved with t-cut but I'd like to try and fix it if possible. Anyone come across any wonder cures lately? It doesn't need to be perfect but at the moment it is quite noticeable. There's a definite groove when I run a fingernail over it.

Car is silver if that makes any difference.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Chilli Girl

I haven't really got any advice for you sadly other than I'm sorry to hear about it.  I suppose the only good thing, silver is certainly a forgiving colour for this sort of thing opposed to the other 2 colours.
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Dev

Not much can be done except for an expensive re-spray done right. Silver can be hard to get right because of the flake in it and the newness of the paint. If I was in this position considering costs it might be cheaper to buy a used good condition door from salvage. Because it will be aged it might be perfect match.

Other ideas might be a silver pin stripe of a slightly darker shade so it doesn't stand out too much but looks some what complementary.

McMr2

Quote from: Dev on October  4, 2022, 16:25Not much can be done except for an expensive re-spray done right. Silver can be hard to get right because of the flake in it and the newness of the paint. If I was in this position considering costs it might be cheaper to buy a used good condition door from salvage. Because it will be aged it might be perfect match.

Other ideas might be a silver pin stripe of a slightly darker shade so it doesn't stand out too much but looks some what complementary.

Unfortunately it's a vertical scratch otherwise pinstripe might have been an option. A used door is a good idea, if I can get hold of a cheap one then perhaps I'll do it.

Quote from: Chilli Girl on October  4, 2022, 15:50I haven't really got any advice for you sadly other than I'm sorry to hear about it.  I suppose the only good thing, silver is certainly a forgiving colour for this sort of thing opposed to the other 2 colours.

What I didn't divulge was that it was my own fault - things have been quite cramped in the garage and I fear a stray pedal or chunk of timber has made contact. To say I was annoyed with myself would be an understatement!
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Carolyn

You can get a replacement door from J-Spec, I'm sure. Do make sure you specify facelift or pre-facelift as the silvers are different.  I've changed one of mine, (the car came with a small crease on the lower leading edge, which could not the accessed from inside the door).

One thing I did learn is these doors are heavy!  But swapping them is not a difficult job, especially with a little assistance.

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

MikeBoo

How deep is the scratch, has it just gone through lacquer or is it down the primer or metal? If the metal, then I'd consider getting some paint on it asap otherwise it'll start to corrode within days and then the only options will be to live with a rusty door, a respray or replacement.

My car is also silver and had a really long deep scratch completely through the lacquer on the bonnet almost the whole length from bumper to scuttle when I bought it. I recently used some Farecla G3 by hand, ensuring that I rubbed along the scratch to carefully take the edge off the scratch to reduce the way that the light catches and though it's still visible it is better.
I'm planning on filling the scratch using a very fine 30/0 brush with some clear lacquer, both of which I ordered a couple of days ago from eBay, then attempt to either wet sand and/or compound it to blend into the original paint.
Once I've built up the courage/stupidity to attempt this I'll report on the outcome somewhere on this forum.

2001 Toyota Liquid Silver (1D0) with hard top & original soft top.
Yokohama AD08RS all round.
Replacement manifold, BC coil overs,
Whiteline anti roll bars front & rear.
Location = East Hampshire, UK

Dev

There is another way that I heard works well but I never got around to using it for the chips on my car. Its called Langka. It works with the factory touch up paint to fill in the chip or deep scratch and then you use their blob eliminator to level it out so it looks neat. 
 Its not perfect but it might be just enough so the scratch is easy on the eyes and easy to live with.

http://www.langka.com/index.php/featured-products/blob-eliminator

McMr2

Quote from: MikeBoo on October  4, 2022, 19:02How deep is the scratch, has it just gone through lacquer or is it down the primer or metal? If the metal, then I'd consider getting some paint on it asap otherwise it'll start to corrode within days and then the only options will be to live with a rusty door, a respray or replacement.

My car is also silver and had a really long deep scratch completely through the lacquer on the bonnet almost the whole length from bumper to scuttle when I bought it. I recently used some Farecla G3 by hand, ensuring that I rubbed along the scratch to carefully take the edge off the scratch to reduce the way that the light catches and though it's still visible it is better.
I'm planning on filling the scratch using a very fine 30/0 brush with some clear lacquer, both of which I ordered a couple of days ago from eBay, then attempt to either wet sand and/or compound it to blend into the original paint.
Once I've built up the courage/stupidity to attempt this I'll report on the outcome somewhere on this forum.

You're braver than me! I don't think it is down to the metal, thankfully.

Be good to see how you get on.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

tomato

You can get a mobile paint repairer out, used a few times, they are usually reasonably priced and if you do your home worked often pretty skilled at what they do.

MikeBoo

Quote from: MikeBoo on October  4, 2022, 19:02My car is also silver and had a really long deep scratch completely through the lacquer on the bonnet almost the whole length from bumper to scuttle when I bought it. I recently used some Farecla G3 by hand, ensuring that I rubbed along the scratch to carefully take the edge off the scratch to reduce the way that the light catches and though it's still visible it is better.
The clear lacquer had arrived along with a very fine brush and this afternoon it had stopped raining long enough for me to have a go at filling in the scratch.
The result was an utter failure because the scratch was too deep, I need some silver paint to to fill it in instead and therefore I ended up wiping off the lacquer. Either I leave it alone or have a go when I get some body coloured paint.
2001 Toyota Liquid Silver (1D0) with hard top & original soft top.
Yokohama AD08RS all round.
Replacement manifold, BC coil overs,
Whiteline anti roll bars front & rear.
Location = East Hampshire, UK

Tags: