Clutch issue?

Started by fawtytoo, October 6, 2022, 19:20

fawtytoo

To start, my '2 is a 2002 PFL SMT (semi-automatic).

I'm having a bit of an issue changing gear. Nothing new; it's been happening for the last 3 years of ownership. But I'd prefer it if it didn't do it at all.

Sometimes the gears change with a jolt as if I've dumped the clutch (although I have no clutch pedal). Sometimes the gear change is slow as if the clutch is not engaging in good time. Sometimes I can feel the clutch slip a bit before fully engaging.

This happens about 5-10% of the time, regardless of how I drive or operating temperature. But once the clutch is engaged, it does not slip at all.

The SMT system seems ok. No error codes. SMT fluid replaced twice. Relearned the ECU. Pump finishes pressurising in 22 seconds. 67,000 miles.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Gaz mr-s

There's a Facebook SMT group if you don't get the answer here.

Joesson

@fawtytoo

Not forgetting there is Spyder Chat, I believe the SMT was popular in the US and there could be something on there :

https://www.spyderchat.com/

I put "SMT clutch problem " into their Search and a lot , 482 results , came up , including:

"I've been having some problems with the SMT in my 2002, including intermittent clutch chatter on "
That was from 2003 , so nothing new!

fawtytoo

I don't use Facebook. And the SMT clutch is the same as the manual one. It's only operated differently. But I want to eliminate the clutch first before worrying about the SMT system.

So, if anyone has ideas that apply to a manual clutch, it might also apply to the SMT. If the clutch checks out ok, then I'll ask at SpyderChat about the SMT.

Carolyn

It does sound like an actuator problem, rather than the cutch itself.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

fawtytoo

I will admit that I though it would be the GSA. But thought I'd ask in case it was the clutch instead.

I'll try over on SpyderChat.

Tags: