Handbrake cable rubber boots!

Started by BARNPOT2000, October 12, 2022, 18:05

BARNPOT2000

Can anyone please recommend a suitable replacement for the rubber boots that keep the muck out of the handbrake cables behind the callipers please, mine are split? I am sure I have seen somewhere that MX5 rubber boots can be stretched over the end of the cable to fit, but I cant find the article or indeed the rubbers for sale,
TF099 silver

Joesson

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on October 12, 2022, 18:05Can anyone please recommend a suitable replacement for the rubber boots that keep the muck out of the handbrake cables behind the callipers please, mine are split? I am sure I have seen somewhere that MX5 rubber boots can be stretched over the end of the cable to fit, but I cant find the article or indeed the rubbers for sale,

I believe this is what you are looking for:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113230491760?hash=item1a5d103070:g:SnkAAMXQUmFSphV6

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Joesson on October 12, 2022, 18:18I believe this is what you are looking for:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113230491760?hash=item1a5d103070:g:SnkAAMXQUmFSphV6
Ah, thanks, that'll be why I couldn't find them then, they're not mx5 but mgf ones 😎👍.
TF099 silver

Gaz mr-s

Joesson's correct. I fitted one yesterday.  They need some trimming & some lube inside them to aid passage over the cable end.

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on October 12, 2022, 19:18Joesson's correct. I fitted one yesterday.  They need some trimming & some lube inside them to aid passage over the cable end.

Great, do you need to trim the fat end or just shorten from the other end please?
TF099 silver

Gaz mr-s

It's easier putting the wide end on first. Have a look at the length of inner cable you have & cut the rubber so that it'll be 'opened-out' when the handbrake is off.  I fitted the one yesterday the other way round as an experiment, - much more difficult to fit & probably a mistake.  You'll want a very narrow cable tie for one end.

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on October 12, 2022, 19:33It's easier putting the wide end on first. Have a look at the length of inner cable you have & cut the rubber so that it'll be 'opened-out' when the handbrake is off.  I fitted the one yesterday the other way round as an experiment, - much more difficult to fit & probably a mistake.  You'll want a very narrow cable tie for one end.
Cheers 👍😎
TF099 silver

Joesson

@BARNPOT2000 / @Gaz mr-s

Just to clarify, I've not tried the MGF boots but have seen them mentioned on here and because I thought the time might come when I need to do something with my brakes I kept a Note on my IPad.
The time came but that part of my brakes was OK but I still have the note.
I guess there could be a way to bookmark things of interest on here, but I don't know about that.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Joesson on October 12, 2022, 20:55@BARNPOT2000 / @Gaz mr-s

Just to clarify, I've not tried the MGF boots but have seen them mentioned on here and because I thought the time might come when I need to do something with my brakes I kept a Note on my IPad.
The time came but that part of my brakes was OK but I still have the note.
I guess there could be a way to bookmark things of interest on here, but I don't know about that.

No probs.....it was myself that tried them first.

Tags: