Oil change, do the plastics need removing ?

Started by TheTigerUK, October 14, 2022, 15:10

TheTigerUK

Do I need to remove the underneath plastics to do an oil change ? the oil was changed last November by a third party when serviced so just planing ahead and thinking of doing it myself this time round.

Just that my old body isent that keen on laying underneath a car these days.
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

J88TEO

Joesson

@TheTigerUK
While there is a small access hatch in the "plastics" I have never tried to use it as I feel sure that I would manage to spill dirty oil onto the inside of the "plastics" if I attempted an oil and filter change and to clean that up I would need to remove them!
One of the reasons one of my first jobs was to fix all of the various "plastics" fixings.
It is not the best of positions, laying on one's back staring at the underside of a car, but, from that position some early warning signs can be spotted and action taken or referred to a third party.
Of particular note is the rear cross beam, not too many other options for checking the condition of that and once a year, at oil change time is a good time.
If in doubt as to the wisdom of checking the crossmember ask @1979scotte

TheTigerUK

@Joesson

I have seen the access hatch and in my heart of hearts I knew that the job would be easier with the plastics removed, easy when up in the air in a garage buy not so easy up on ramps, oh well  ::) earlier this year I did replace or grease all the plastics fixings so that should be no problem and I did look at the cross member while in the area and it looked fine.

So do I struggle and change myself or give the garage the filter/oil/washer and let them do the job ?

ps: Or perhaps dig a pit on the drive ?  ;D

Joesson

@TheTigerUK said:

So do I struggle and change myself or give the garage the filter/oil/washer and let them do the job ?

It is not just our cars that are ageing!
While things can be done by oneself and there is some enjoyment in it and it is affordable and you wouldn't be wanting to do something else instead then, as it says on a Tee Shirt somewhere, Just do it and take two Ibuprofen.
Otherwise pay the "professionals" as with an oil change there is not too much to go wrong - says the guy whose company car lost a recently professionally "fitted" oil filter just after leaving an M6 roadworks area.

PS
The cost of a pit in your driveway would pay for a good few oil and filter changes. As you well know life is a succession of choices and you don't know what's right or wrong usually, until it's too late!

Ardent

@TheTigerUK

If you know the plastics will come off easy. Because you've been there and made sure they will. (And go back) then an oil change is not a biggie.

You've helped me on other matters.
I'm happy to reciprocate the favour.

Have already given you a fresh sump washer.  89% of the way there.

How soon do you want to do it?

Ardent

The trap door gives you access to the sump plug. Still need to remove the plastics to access the filter.

Joesson

Quote from: Ardent on October 14, 2022, 22:56The trap door gives you access to the sump plug. Still need to remove the plastics to access the filter.

Some years since I looked at access with the covers on  but I do believe you are correct. Of course that does raise a cause for some concern.
When the oil is changed by a third party this is typically proven by reference to the dipstick. That is, almost impossible to read because of the clear oil. But no such visual reassurance that the filter has been changed, but of course it has, and hopefully, correctly fitted!
Ref my #4 post.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Joesson on October 15, 2022, 09:51Some years since I looked at access with the covers on  but I do believe you are correct. Of course that does raise a cause for some concern.
When the oil is changed by a third party this is typically proven by reference to the dipstick. That is, almost impossible to read because of the clear oil. But no such visual reassurance that the filter has been changed, but of course it has, and hopefully, correctly fitted!
Ref my #4 post.

That is what concerned me last year when I had mine serviced, I dident watch them all the while but I saw no evidence that the plastics had been removed or any sign of the old filter, do it yourself is the only way to know its been done for sure.

Over the last year I have used a different garage for some work on my daily and I was 100% pleased with there work, attitude and price.

Ardent

I understand it's is quite common practice to suck the oil out these days.

Not a fan.

Petrus

Quote from: Ardent on October 15, 2022, 21:42I understand if is quite common practice to suck the oil out these days.

Not a fan.

It is.

Me neither.
It allows for sedimentation, sludge. Also, for those with a magnetic drain plug (or magnet on it) it eliminates inspection of that.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Ardent on October 15, 2022, 21:42I understand if is quite common practice to suck the oil out these days.

Not a fan.

A garage I used in the 70s sucked the oil out, perhaps not ideal but it was quick.

Ardent

Joesson

Not what the designer, who specified, at extra OE cost, a drain plug, intended!

Ardent

Tags: