MR2/ Yaris similar in parts?

Started by Joesson, October 24, 2022, 22:19

Joesson

Elsewhere there has been some discussion concerning the replacement of our MR2  mk3 front lower wishbones with those labelled to suit Scion/ Yaris cars.
I don't recall an advertised statement from a supplier that the one fits the other nor any such statement about the component parts of the arms being similar / the same. But :

https://www.fensport.co.uk/products/superpro-front-control-arm-lower-inner-rear-bush-mr-s-yaris-spf2798k

Click the compatibility button for details.

Dev

Only certain years of the Yaris and Scion XB used our front control arms. It is possible that the bushing rubber might be different but who really knows. 
 They generally will not list compatibility in most Toyota parts catalogs even though the number may or might not match.
  On the whole however after taking apart one of these cars to sell for parts there were only very few compatible parts. Most of the MR-S is not a parts bin car, it has too many unique parts. Most other cars in the Toyota/ Lexus line up have a lot more parts in common. 

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on October 24, 2022, 22:50Most of the MR-S is not a parts bin car, it has too many unique parts. Most other cars in the Toyota/ Lexus line up have a lot more parts in common. 

Even the oil level of the same 1ZZ-FE is different in the ZZW30  ;)  :P

Smithy

If I can just tag on to this thread, I have Yaris lower wishbones to fit and I understand it's not the easiest job to do at home on axle stands? What would you consider a fair price to have a garage fit then for me? All hopeful that the old ones come off ok. I would attempt it but if I run into issues I'm stranded.
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

J88TEO

I have 3 sets of the OEM to fit to my 2s.
Ordered them from Japan.

Carolyn

I bought Scion ones from the States a few years back and stashed them for some time.  A couple of years ago, I installed them.. They have been excellent.

I have done the job on another car too, so I've learned a few tricks.... mind you, we have a lift.

The bolts can be a bugger to get out.  They can get seized in place. 

A garage should be able to do the job in a couple of hours, I should think. It's a common job and they will know the tricks of the trade.  It could take longer if the bolts a really stuck.

What do garages charge these days?  £75 per hour?

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

J88TEO

Joesson

Quote from: J88TEO on October 27, 2022, 15:59Ooouch!

This link will show my removal of the arms.

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=73305.msg882231#new

If you decide to diy I suggest you obtain replacement bolts beforehand.
One vertical bush/ bolt on RH side and one horizontal bush / bolt on the left hand side were badly corroded and will need replacement. All four bolts and two nuts / washers necessary will cost around the price of half an hour labour.

You will notice I am not in a particular hurry!

J88TEO

Thanks for that @Jeosson.
I will be stripping out the whole suspension system, including the steering rack and replacing them with parts I accumulated over the last couple of months.

Joesson

Quote from: J88TEO on October 27, 2022, 16:33Thanks for that @Jeosson.
I will be stripping out the whole suspension system, including the steering rack and replacing them with parts I accumulated over the last couple of months.

I found the front suspension gaiters were destroyed but the rears showed no sign of deterioration.
You may also want to have a look at the condition of your ABS unit bracket while your working around the steering rack.
I have read they are often badly corroded, as was mine. I'm unsure about replacements, maybe available but pricey. I repaired mine. One fortunate member quite recently had a Mate with CAD/ CAM facility who made him a new bracket!

J88TEO

Yes I read about that. Luckily I have a fairly new bracket.

Tags: