Oil Pressure Gauge

Started by alancdavis, November 25, 2022, 21:43

alancdavis

I ant to fit a oil pressure gauge to my car ,,,ant recomendations for what to buy please
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

Alex Knight

Carolyn

I bought a sandwich plate and an electric gauge off Ebay for a total of around £30.  They've been in the car for several years and are still doing the job.

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Joesson

@alancdavies

You will be aware that there is a choice of actuation of the oil pressure gauge, mechanical that requires the oil to pass through a tube, metallic or plastic types are available (consider both temperature and pressure resistance)  to the instrument or electrical that requires a sender unit and sends a signal to the instrument via a wire.
There is some www debate about the pros and cons of each type.
I fitted a mechanical type on my 1960's Mini in period, but that had a relatively straight forward run for the tubing. I used a nylon high pressure tube back then and electronics weren't what they are today.
Full scale, typically mechanical gauges or part scale, typically electronic is a personal choice.
Will you be using your car on track? I'm sure some rules apply in that situation.
One down side of the electronic type is the size of the sender and it's typical fragility, meaning that it can be difficult size wise to fit, for instance to a sandwich plate and also it will be subject to vibration from the engine.
Consider fitting the sender on a convenient bulkhead away from the pressure port. Extra connections are required then but they are in a position of your choosing and so easier to access.
As for many things you make your choice and pay your money and generally get what you pay for.
Let us know how you get on.

Carolyn

On our cars, the sandwich plate screws between the enine and the oil filter. So you'll need a filter.

The sender screws right into the sandwich plate - very simple and straightforward.  One wire from there into the cab.  You have to pick up the 12v supply from under the steering wheel.  If you want it to illuminate, you can wire it to always light up, or pick up another supply for the bulb from the output of the headlight stalk.

Petrus

I like meters on the dash. A left over from when cars nééded them if you drove them spiritedly. Like an avid aircooled 2-stroke racer will never get rid of the finger-on-the-clutch syndrom.

Almost envy the owners or cars with some more dials in the dash at car meets.
Have (sofar) resisted installing on my MR2. Was quite happy when the miniature LiFe battery gave me a proper réason to have a voltage meter  O:-)  A bit yúk looking but the combo with USB ports puts a brake on fitting a set of three chome ringed ones.

So, do share photos!!!

Dev

Not to come off negatively but modern computer controlled engines and designs are so tightly regulated that gauges are not as important as they use to be unless you need it for a specific purpose. Engines get up to heat more rapidly than they use to and with in a specific range that is stable which is good for the oil as well as the environment. With these newer engines if there is a problem with oil pressure there is not enough time to save the engine as the damage is immediate and irreversible, its not like the old days where you can diagnose an issue and replace a part to save the engine.

Having said that there can be a specific use for an oil pressure gauge and that is if you have a gauge with a data logging feature to record drops in pressure around turns to see if you need to address oiling issues in the sump if you are going past 1G.

I have the sandwich type with two fittings which I use one to monitor oil temps and no matter how hard I drive my car on the street it comes no where near any kind of concern. It was a good way to learn about the engine knowing that I would never need to buy an oil cooler and I would not recommend it unless its for a track application where it would be a better investment.

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on November 26, 2022, 17:44Not to come off negatively but modern computer controlled engines and designs are so tightly regulated that gauges are not as important as they use to be

Which is what I wrote in different words no?!

The water temp. gauge of our MR2a is known to be an idiot light with a needle even rather than an accurate gauge  :))  :))

Apart from the voltage meter I mentioned and not really need anymore, an oil temp gauge I would appreciate because the water temp gauge does not tell me much about whether the engine has warmed up.

Dev

Quote from: Petrus on November 26, 2022, 18:29Which is what I wrote in different words no?!

The water temp. gauge of our MR2a is known to be an idiot light with a needle even rather than an accurate gauge  :))  :))

Apart from the voltage meter I mentioned and not really need anymore, an oil temp gauge I would appreciate because the water temp gauge does not tell me much about whether the engine has warmed up.

I found that the when the water temp arrests its self in the middle of the gauge as it normally does that is when it coincides with the oil temps being very close to the proper warm up for spirited driving. The correlation is almost a constant so an oil temp gauge is not needed, just your best judgment which has always been a good 20-30 minutes of driving. Unlike cars from the past the oil temps move rapidly up and then stay very stable where they will give the oil its peak service life burning off any condensation. It also has so much headroom that it would be very hard to overheat the oil for spirited driving but if that is a concern synthetic oil is the best insurance of increasing the headroom and if you need more just move up one oil grade to a 40 weight oil to match the viscosity.

Some people want to reminisce having gauges which is fine but the real luxury is not having any and reducing the visible and mental cutter especially if you have gauge pods and all of that junk that gets in the way from looking forward and just driving using your ears and tactile senses.
Not saying this about any one person but I often find that people that have an array of gauges it is often for the aesthetics. The water temp gauge is the most important on these aluminum engines because unlike past engines if they overheat (which happens quickly and that is why precision is not important) it will warp and then the engine is a core.

alancdavis

Any one have a link to where to buy a sandwich plate
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

Joesson

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on November 26, 2022, 22:31This may be of help:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zzHUjIutY10

Most (all) of ours have the oil/coolant heat exhanger fitted; so already a ´sandwich´. Does not change the principle, just be aware.

TheTigerUK

Every day is a school day, I had no idea what a sandwich plate was and I dident like to ask  ;D
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Carolyn

I have an undamped oil pressure gauge, which flickers a bit, but it reacts very quickly, so a drop in pressure on a corner shows up as a quick dip of the needle.  I prefer an analogue gauge as a needle movement is easier to spot than a change in digital readout.  I installed mine in my line of sight, so I'll notice any sudden changes, which, in fairness, I have never seen!

The gauge also doubles as a crude temperature gauge as the pressure at idle drops from above 60 psi (more in winter) when cold to around 20 psi when fully warm, which takes quite a bit longer than it does for the coolant to get up to temp.  I prefer not to rev the engine hard until I'm happy that it's properly warm.

I'm now running a Euro engine with an oil heater/cooler and it does warm the oil up quite a bit faster than the MR S engine I was running (they don't have the oil heater, which is what Toyota call it).

I just remembered there's a 'How To' in our 'How To' section.  https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=60917.0

You cannot view this attachment.

alancdavis

Thanks for the vid link .. 8)

Carolyn

Quote from: alancdavis on November 27, 2022, 21:08Thanks for the vid link .. 8)

I looked at the video.  There is absolutely no need to mess with the existing oil pressure switch (it's not really a sensor) on the engine.  (Though it looks as though they have some other kit on their engine and the oil pressure sensor they are messing with is different to stock.)  Just leave it as is.

Unless, an oil change is due, there's no need to drain the oil either, just be ready with a small container (Chinese takeaways are great for this) to catch what will come out when you drop the oil filter.  Wipe everything clean.

Smear oil on the gaskets/O rings when you put it together.

Petrus

Quote from: Carolyn on November 27, 2022, 09:45I like this one, for the double O rings...:

How does the heat exhanger aggect the fitting @Carolyn ?  Does the pressure sensor get in the way or?  Even though totally superfluousm, extra complications even, I do ´suffer´ from the past  :-*   Have no sound system so plenty of neat space between the two steel supports.

Carolyn

Quote from: Petrus on December  1, 2022, 11:46How does the heat exhanger aggect the fitting @Carolyn ?  Does the pressure sensor get in the way or?  Even though totally superfluousm, extra complications even, I do ´suffer´ from the past  :-*   Have no sound system so plenty of neat space between the two steel supports.

No problem.  They just stack up.  Plenty of room.

Petrus

Quote from: Carolyn on December  1, 2022, 12:00No problem.  They just stack up.  Plenty of room.

Thanks.

Tags: