New Swansea Roof Imminent - A few questions

Started by Alex Knight, January 3, 2023, 20:09

Alex Knight

Hi all,

In about a month's time, I'm booked in with Raymond (Swansea) to have a new roof fitted, and I have some questions:

1. Does the roof have to be on the car when he fits it?

I'm driving down from Perthshire, and was wondering if I could remove the roof and use my daily to drive it to him.

2. What are the dimensions of the roof once it's removed from the car?

See question 1. I need to know if it will fit in the daily.

3. Does removing the glass window from the old roof render it totally useless (ie: does he cut the glass out)?

My old roof is actually still in good shape, and I'm only getting a new one because I'm a bit of a perfectionist. The old roof could live on in another MR2.

Thanks in advance all  :)

tricky1138

1. The simple answer is yes.

2. No idea.

3. Yes - the cuts the glass out with scissors!  :o

Now in more depth to the answers.

1. Raymond makes the roof from a template, but it is then fitted to frame and cut and glued in place so I doubt it could be fitted off the car. I know others that have asked for it to be shipped, and he has said no.

2.  Guess you could measure the width and length of the folded roof, that would give a rough estimate. Although I've just said he won't do it, so no point.

3. If your roof is in really good condition, you could always remove it and sell it to someone with a poor one, and fit the poor one to yours to then get the Swansea roof fitted to that.

I tried the above and it was too much hassle, so ended up with a perfectly good roof getting cut up to fit the Swansea roof.

He also says that he can fit new glass at extra cost so even if you found an old one with broken glass you could swap, it could be done.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Call the midlife!

At this time of year the chances are your current roof wouldn't survive being removed and refitted anyway. I stood and watched a perfectly good roof rip under it's own weight on my workbench and that was in fairly mild weather.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Topdownman

Well, in answer to question 3.....

He actually said to me as he was cutting the window out "This is in good condition....".

I guess you would have to ring him to be sure but my feeling would be that you need him to fit it to the car as I think some of it is glued in place. The roof is made ready for when you arrive so your glass goes in a future roof. He advises you to try to keep the roof up to let the fabric stretch for a few days before putting it down.

I think you can pay extra to have a brand new window in (and drain bags too).

I think your 2 is going to be getting a long road trip!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Ardent

That post/pic should come with a warning.

Alex Knight

puma2

:) personal from what i have seen and have been there a few time myself.
you are going to need your 2 with you.

if you do stay for the being bit when he starts on your roof be prepared to cry and i mean cry.

he can talk and talk ,  he is Friendly although  he can be very strong with his thoughts  :))  :))

most people leave the 2 there and  he phones you a few hrs when done.

what days are you booked in for :)   

shnazzle

All of these mentions of him being "strong with his thoughts" have always put me off going.
So far I've heard he has "strong thoughts" on foreigners, women and covid. Is it something we, as a club, would be mindful of and warn people of before they go? Or is it just slightly over the line "banter"? 
It's just that I think it's been mentioned every time someone asks where to go for a roof. 

To answer Alex's second question (although proven irrelevant by now I guess) I remember when we took my roof off and put it on Dick's drive, it took two of us to carry without damaging the car and took a fair bit of floor space on his drive. 
It would happily fit in most cars bigger than a Renault Clio with the seats down

It took Dick all of about 20min to swap a roof. So one option is to go down there and either sell him the roof in exchange for a duff one with a good window,or pay the man some favour money to help you pull it off and leave it there for him or you to sell.
...neutiquam erro.

puma2

:) the reason i  said strong with his thoughts is that i could not spell the right word i was trying to use.
he good with banter just stay of politics :))  :))

he is more than will to help or advise or has been with on each visit and that has been cold calling. :) 

jvanzyl

The total duration of the fitting is less than 3 hours, I reckon if you stayed it's like the same as sitting in in a waiting room and being forced to watch the BBC news (any state sponsored news broadcaster)for that time.

It'll be uncomfortable/ you might hear things that you strongly disagree with but  you'll survive.  :))

Alex Knight

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm actually quite a liberal person, so I suspect that it will be just a transaction really.

We bought my missus' Skoda Yeti from a really quite right-wing, borderline racist person, but it was the right car at the right price, so I just kept my mouth shut.

I'm mixed race myself, btw.

onion86

If you have a 'perfectly good' roof, then might want to have second thoughts. He himself does say the ones he makes are super cheap, but mine lasted less than a year before the glue started coming away in places and there is also loads of loose threads inside and I did spot one that's actually on the outside which is very annoying. When I called to ask he basically told me the above and what did I expect for £300 and said I could try gluing it back on, which I did with some Stormsure, but wouldn't do anything himself.

Don't get me wrong, I had a hole in my old one and for £300 I definitely think they are fantastic in most situations, but the quality on a few I've heard about have been not so great, probably down to quality control when working in the way he does. But if I hadn't got the hole and wanted it done properly, then I would've paid £800-900 for one of the better ones elsewhere.

If you're a perfectionist then I'd definitely look at getting a better one.

Quote from: shnazzle on January  4, 2023, 08:40All of these mentions of him being "strong with his thoughts" have always put me off going.
So far I've heard he has "strong thoughts" on foreigners, women and covid. Is it something we, as a club, would be mindful of and warn people of before they go? Or is it just slightly over the line "banter"?
It's just that I think it's been mentioned every time someone asks where to go for a roof.

As well as those (didn't personally witness Covid as I went years ago) he also had strong views on our cars, as I thought I'd make a bit of conversation about how good they were and fun to work on... Cheap crap, badly made - he was wobbling my roof frame around to show me how crap they were when he was fitting the new one.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Alex Knight

This is all good food for thought, especially @onion86 post above, and genuinely making me think that I should save some more, and go for a better roof.

Appreciate all the comments, thanks for your input everyone.

The Other Stu

Quote from: shnazzle on January  4, 2023, 08:40All of these mentions of him being "strong with his thoughts" have always put me off going.
Sadly, he's representative of many on Facebook who like to talk about "plastic boats" and "immigrants". He's pleasant enough on the right subject and he certainly knows his stuff when it comes to soft tops and our cars.

I get what you're saying and I'm not sure as a club I'd recommend supporting him, but sadly, we all do business with people whose politics or views don't align with ours. Whilst I'd say he's mildly racist (He never mentioned any mysognistic or homophobic topics), I don't see him as extreme. My best friend's parents, for instance, who I love dearly, but who are getting more and more right wing every time I see them - I just move the conversation away.

I guess the biggest problem is that like me, he can talk. And talk. And talk and talk. And when your views are one sided, it comes across as particularly bigoted.

As for the roofs, like Onion86 said, you get what you pay for. However, many people are taking cars that are frankly worth 1-2k along. Is £1k on a roof really worthwhile for the cost of a little glue? Don't get me wrong. If you want a show car, then it's probably not for you. But then again, you've probably paid £3-4k for a paint job too so money isn't really an issue.

I haven't had any issues with stitching or glue as it happens. They've never leaked. I had my first car done and the roof was still looking great after 4 years. I've had this 2nd one for well over a year and it looks brand new, despite sitting outside. I know you track yours, so it's probably a little different, but personally I try and drive mine with the roof down as much as possible.
No Longer Here

Topdownman

Best to just leave them to it and go for a walk/coffee/shop. No point holding him up by chatting! No problem at all in dealing with them for normal transaction purposes and they were fine with me when I had to postpone my visit at very short notice when the car was off the road.

Their roofs are not as good as the next cheapest ones you can buy but are about half the price so you pays your money.... As your car is a great condition keeper, maybe you should look at south west roadsters too?

SWR
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

jvanzyl

I reckon all these people experiencing "issues" are the ones choosing the wrong colours...  ;)

I got a blue one- it's been I think 6/7 years and there might be the occasional thread but that's it- does the job and looks alright. Gives the ability to put the roof and down no matter the temperature...

puma2

Quote from: Alex Knight on January  4, 2023, 10:04This is all good food for thought, especially @onion86 post above, and genuinely making me think that I should save some more, and go for a better roof.

Appreciate all the comments, thanks for your input everyone.

i personal took the next best price fitted by Southwest roadster. not sure of current price at the time just as covid travel restrictions  lifted for Just under £700. think it was £660. he use  twillfast as to stayfast or something like that.
Twillfast is more heavier and better make of materially.

Raymond the Swansea guy does not use this  plus he does at least 2 cars a day.

were i went it just 1 car per day as far as i no. he does it on his drive.
Raymond does his in a garage at the back of house. the lane he is in is busy with other cars and alike.

people who has seen both roof fittings have said my is better quality is worth the extra is a personal choice. please look for more info the roof section dedicated all this subject.   

The Other Stu

Quote from: jvanzyl on January  4, 2023, 10:26I got a blue one- it's been I think 6/7 years and there might be the occasional thread but that's it- does the job and looks alright. Gives the ability to put the roof and down no matter the temperature...
Yup, agree. My first one was blue. As I said, after about 5 years, still looked new.
No Longer Here

TheTigerUK

To answer Alex's second question (although proven irrelevant by now I guess) I remember when we took my roof off and put it on Dick's drive, it took two of us to carry without damaging the car and took a fair bit of floor space on his drive.
It would happily fit in most cars bigger than a Renault Clio with the seats down

It took Dick all of about 20min to swap a roof. So one option is to go down there and either sell him the roof in exchange for a duff one with a good window,or pay the man some favour money to help you pull it off and leave it there for him or you to sell.

Which Dick ? Dick Sloan ?
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

shnazzle

@TheTigerUK yup that's the man. And you'll get some good tips, a brew and friendly non-political banter to go with it :) haha

Also, there's always parts lying around you end up leaving with so bring extra money 
...neutiquam erro.

Bernie

Quote from: The Other Stu on January  4, 2023, 10:09Sadly, he's representative of many on Facebook who like to talk about "plastic boats" and "immigrants". He's pleasant enough on the right subject and he certainly knows his stuff when it comes to soft tops and our cars.

I get what you're saying and I'm not sure as a club I'd recommend supporting him, but sadly, we all do business with people whose politics or views don't align with ours. Whilst I'd say he's mildly racist (He never mentioned any mysognistic or homophobic topics), I don't see him as extreme. My best friend's parents, for instance, who I love dearly, but who are getting more and more right wing every time I see them - I just move the conversation away.

I guess the biggest problem is that like me, he can talk. And talk. And talk and talk. And when your views are one sided, it comes across as particularly bigoted.

As for the roofs, like Onion86 said, you get what you pay for. However, many people are taking cars that are frankly worth 1-2k along. Is £1k on a roof really worthwhile for the cost of a little glue? Don't get me wrong. If you want a show car, then it's probably not for you. But then again, you've probably paid £3-4k for a paint job too so money isn't really an issue.

I haven't had any issues with stitching or glue as it happens. They've never leaked. I had my first car done and the roof was still looking great after 4 years. I've had this 2nd one for well over a year and it looks brand new, despite sitting outside. I know you track yours, so it's probably a little different, but personally I try and drive mine with the roof down as much as possible.

Agree with Stu, I'm a perfectionist too and seeing some of the hand stitched joints wasn't for me so went elsewhere

That said it does a job and is value for money, but far from perfection
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

TheTigerUK

Quote from: shnazzle on January  4, 2023, 19:25@TheTigerUK yup that's the man. And you'll get some good tips, a brew and friendly non-political banter to go with it :) haha

Also, there's always parts lying around you end up leaving with so bring extra money

I have "spoke" to Dick about doing some work for me because everything I have read about him is good and his price to do the work was very good its just the distance involved, 400 mile round trip, still thinking.
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Bernie

Quote from: TheTigerUK on January  4, 2023, 20:54I have "spoke" to Dick about doing some work for me because everything I have read about him is good and his price to do the work was very good its just the distance involved, 400 mile round trip, still thinking.

Dick is the go to man for parts and his in depth knowledge is second to none
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Microgerry

Does Raymond replace roofs on other cars?

Just wondering if he is so busy replacing 2 a day on MR2s. Can't believe there is such demand

Topdownman

Quote from: Microgerry on January  4, 2023, 23:11Does Raymond replace roofs on other cars?

Just wondering if he is so busy replacing 2 a day on MR2s. Can't believe there is such demand

Yes, they do other cars too. He will do things like put an MR2 glass window into a new mx5 roof to replace their plastic ones.
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Tags: