Underbody Rust

Started by Asura, February 15, 2023, 12:37

Asura

Quote from: Ardent on February 16, 2023, 20:52As @Call the midlife! Said in post #18

The tyre is more important than 15 or 16.
Toyota originally designed it with 15s then 16s. Personal choice?

ahh i see, given my budget id have to stick with the tyres unless i can find my self some kosei k1s...

salvatore10

I would recommend the Falken Ecorun tyres, the Toyos I had previously wore out extremely quickly and liked a wander on the motorway, having to slow down to below 60 because of the rear squirming on a greasy road isn't fun!

Asura

I got my car on a lift.

So far the sills look to be really bad but when the other mechanic was showing me parts of the suspensions rust was falling out although i suspect that its surface. He showed me the front chassis legs which looks bad.

I thought when I get the time, I will  have a go at removing the surface rust and definitely confirm to see if its worth saving.

Rear subframes absolutely shot so will get a new one.

For rust remover what bilt hambwr proructs will i need?

J88TEO

Quote from: Asura on February 21, 2023, 13:31Rear subframes absolutely shot so will get a new one.
Used subframe - both PFL and FL ones. Both in excellent condition.
£180.00

Joesson

@Asura

I have only used BH Dynax S-50 an aerosol c/ w 600mm Lance/ straw to inject into cavities. Applied several years ago to my summer use only, kept in the garage cars rear and front cross member.
BH De ox C is a rust remover for immersing parts once removed from the vehicle.
BH Hydrate 80 is a rust converter, similar use as above.

Asura

Quote from: Joesson on February 21, 2023, 17:32@Asura

I have only used BH Dynax S-50 an aerosol c/ w 600mm Lance/ straw to inject into cavities. Applied several years ago to my summer use only, kept in the garage cars rear and front cross member.
BH De ox C is a rust remover for immersing parts once removed from the vehicle.
BH Hydrate 80 is a rust converter, similar use as above.

thank you

Asura

I should've taken some pictures yesterday but I did take some of the ones I had in mind today.

I tried to take as much as I can.

Asura

Ah.

Cant say I wasn't anticipating rust. But if it's that terminal then, welp.

Asura

I plan to take the car for an MOT to get some ideas on whats needed to be done.

If theres any welding work needed to be done, especially on the front chassis area then, Id have to get rid of it.

It'll be a shame because theres no other car within a decent price range ...

Tags: