Why cats may rattle

Started by Ardent, February 19, 2023, 22:42

Ardent

With a few recent posts regards stainless steel, I had the urge to replace some corroded nuts n bolts on the cat heat shields.

Once I managed to separate the parts you begin to appreciate how or what may cause a rattle.
There are parts that are not easily (if at all) visible when assembled. (the half semi circle brackets/spacers)
The pics that follow show all the component parts and then a semi re-assemble flow.
The last pic, is a pic of a little secret sauce. The original piece was completely beyond salvage. I suspect the heat shields where never designed to be removed. So a very nice man in a shed made a spacer for me. Thank you.
As the shields where never designed to come off. There is no torque setting for them. I have gone for an arbitrary 15nm.

paulj

Nice work!  Mine are held together with jubilee clips, which is fine as you can't see them.  But after this I both know they are there and know the satisfaction of a real solution.  Winter maintenance list started in the same month my car wakes up.....
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

puma2

:) yet again its all attention to detail  8)  8)
great job and good write up pictures :)

now my next 2 week holiday I must leave my 2 with you so can fiddle for a week or 2 :))  :))

Tags: