What is the purpose of these fittings on my MR2?

Started by kbpop123, March 6, 2023, 22:52

kbpop123

Newbie here having bought an 06 in January. And the reason for the post – What is the purpose of the 2 sets of nut/bolt/washer with link assemblies on the engine cover (hopefully clear in the pics)? I did look at a number of Mk3's before buying, all were year 03/ 04. I pretty sure none of them had this 'feature'.
Thanks Kevin

Call the midlife!

Welcome. Sorry to say those look like something a previous owner has added for some reason, although what that reason might be is a new one to me.
But I'm sure we'll all be as curious as you to find out...
60% of the time it works everytime...

Ardent

Ardent

s12vea

Another one won't hurt  .....

Topdownman

Hello and welcome.

Not something I have ever seen before so agree that it is something a former owner has done. Looks like a pair of handles but no idea what for.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Ardent

I have this daft idea of some sort of cradle.

Something else is missing but hooks in and suspends above the heat shield.
Keep your chips warm.

shnazzle

I'm going to lose sleep not knowing what those were added for. And also, why he/she used such massive washers
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

It is an energy save:

@Ardent  indeed to hook op a basket; with lunch/supper

@shnazzle for the healthy appetite

Close the lid and cook while driving.

Call the midlife!

The only thing I can think of is that they've been mounting points for clipping a working light/inspection lamp or something similar to but that's a lot of trouble to go to for something as banal as that, especially when they're visible from the outside...

tricky1138

2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Topdownman

Should be easy enough to source a new drip tray so you don't have to worry about it!

Maybe the old owner worked for deliveroo?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Petrus

Quote from: Topdownman on March  7, 2023, 11:09Should be easy enough to source a new drip tray so you don't have to worry about it!

Just delete.

andyroo104

Hi and welcome.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

Dev

It looks like mounting points for a rotisserie.
 Welcome.

Petrus

Quote from: Anon on March  7, 2023, 19:29Maybe for some kind of bike rack or luggage rack?

They sit únder the louvres against the underside of the drip tray.

kbpop123

Thanks to all the replies. When I posted, I assumed this was a reasonably common function and other MR2 owners here would have this feature. The car has done just over 40k, has been serviced every year at Toyota. I have an pile of service receipts with no mention of this. I'll not lose any sleep over this and just be happy I have a unique MR2.
Thanks again for looking at this.

puma2

Quote from: kbpop123 on March  8, 2023, 00:08Thanks to all the replies. When I posted, I assumed this was a reasonably common function and other MR2 owners here would have this feature. The car has done just over 40k, has been serviced every year at Toyota. I have an pile of service receipts with no mention of this. I'll not lose any sleep over this and just be happy I have a unique MR2.
Thanks again for looking at this.

now that is more like it :)
every 2 is different in some small or big way. when you go to a meet and even if they say its a standard 2 you will find something small they have done witch no other 2 has.
the most important   thing about any 2 is getting out there and drive is what they do best is put a smile on face every time you go out for a drive.

welcome to fun club please tell us more about your 2 as sounds a good 1 8)  8)   

Call the midlife!

Bearing in mind the size of the screws holding the corners of the drip tray and the plastic pegs in the middle I can't imagine it's been used for anything particularly structural.
Although those penny washers are either to spread the load or all that Screwfix had in at the time...
Still looks over engineered 😂

cptspaulding

Quote from: kbpop123 on March  8, 2023, 00:08I'll not lose any sleep over this

Maybe you won't but the rest of us are waking up in the middle of the night in sweats trying to figure this out. How dare you come on to our lovely forum & immediately present an unfathomable enigma! Who sent you? Did the MX5 people put you up to this?

Oh & welcome, otherwise  ;)
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

Petrus

Quote from: kbpop123 on March  8, 2023, 00:08Thanks to all the replies. When I posted, I assumed this was a reasonably common function and other MR2 owners here would have this feature.

Not often something pops up which has not been flogged to death many times over. Tonneau cover, fuel door, oil dip stick, aux. lamps on PFL, B-pillar brackets are exceptions.

p.s. or lighweight nuts & bolts   :))  :))   

Tags: