I'm resigning

Started by Carolyn, March 14, 2023, 10:09

Carolyn

Very sadly, I have decided it's time to resign my post on the committee.  We've tried to keep going the traditions of what was once a very active and very friendly club that required almost no moderation.

How that has changed.  Members are now disregarding the rules, and even making the case that the forum should be a free-for-all. 

I, for one, have no interest in anything where bad behaviour is ok.

@J88TEO :  you know what you did.  Shame on you.

Anon : You have no interest in doing better, and suggesting a free-for-all is OK, if that's how you want to roll.  You've seen my efforts to keep the peace!

'bye folks

Over and out.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Alex Knight

I'm sorry to hear this. I've always appreciated your efforts.

Zxrob

Have I missed something

I pop on here regularly and post when I feel appropriate

I must say that I find the tone on here quite polite and refreshing compared to some of the shiiite social media places

Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

shnazzle

Quote from: Zxrob on March 14, 2023, 11:31Have I missed something

I pop on here regularly and post when I feel appropriate

I must say that I find the tone on here quite polite and refreshing compared to some of the shiiite social media places

Rob
Long may it continue

We have tried to keep the communication here a bit more "old school"  (i.e. polite, patient, friendly, helpful) but it just doesn't seem to be the world we live in anymore. 

I'll be here :)
...neutiquam erro.

AJRFulton

Keeping a club or indeed a forum running is a lot of work.

I run a relatively large forum, albeit not car related, and it needs a few nights a month to maintain it.

Also I had a 5 year stint as chairman of a Glasgow amateur football league (44 teams and 4 divisions when I quit), and at the end of that I had completely lost all love of football and even 8yrs later that has never returned. Slowly the constant nit picking wears you down.

I always appreciate folk that take the time to run these clubs. Without behind the scenes admin, very often by volunteers, these things don't run.

Kev6107

Carolyn please do not resign over this just need to realise some people in life have no respect for anything just best to ignore them and carry on with life

paulj

Quote from: Kev6107 on March 14, 2023, 13:29Carolyn please do not resign over this just need to realise some people in life have no respect for anything just best to ignore them and carry on with life

Kev is right, we do this stuff for the many not the few.  And as for the few, we should point them to the facebook page where the rules are different.  Here's hoping a bit of time will let @Carolyn realise that in the main we all want what she wants - passion for MR2s.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

s12vea

Quote from: Kev6107 on March 14, 2023, 13:29Carolyn please do not resign over this just need to realise some people in life have no respect for anything just best to ignore them and carry on with life

Couldn't agree with you more Kev!
Another one won't hurt  .....

Bernie

It would be a great shame if the unwelcome actions of a couple of people make you resign.  Draw breath give it a few days your a great asset to ROC and would be greatly missed
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

barchetta_ms

I'll be the first to hold my hand up and admit that I don't contribute a lot to the club but do find it a very friendly and informative resource - there are always people who willing to help out with your questions. When we signed up to be a part of the wonderful community we agreed to abide by the rules that make it what it is. It's quite simple in my eyes, if you don't wish to abide by them then you are welcome to leave.

Please don't the b*ggers get to you Carolyn!

shnazzle

The rules were almost forced upon the forum because of past altercations.

I've literally been threatened over the phone, had hate messages, had to be in between two very angry parties.
Thinking back, why the hell did I go through all that abuse?

Since we really enforced the rules, all of that stopped.
Coincidence?
More work for us? Definitely!
Worth it? Yup.
Still worth it?
NOPE

Therefore, henceforth, the sales section is your domain :)
It's like the dark net.
Sell crack on there if you want to, just call it something like "powdered window washer concentrate" or something
...neutiquam erro.

Bernie

Quote from: shnazzle on March 14, 2023, 22:25The rules were almost forced upon the forum because of past altercations.

I've literally been threatened over the phone, had hate messages, had to be in between two very angry parties.
Thinking back, why the hell did I go through all that abuse?

Since we really enforced the rules, all of that stopped.
Coincidence?
More work for us? Definitely!
Worth it? Yup.
Still worth it?
NOPE

Therefore, henceforth, the sales section is your domain :)
It's like the dark net.
Sell crack on there if you want to, just call it something like "powdered window washer concentrate" or something

Sadly now it's Buyer and Seller beware !

The rules were in place to avoid disputes, keep all questions and dealings in open forum and trusting everyone would play fair, I guess an indictment of society now, it's all about me 
Readers Ride

andyroo104

Would it not be better for the club as a whole to remove the offending member, remove the Private and Vehicle sales. The club does not benefit from the two sales sections and it appears to be more trouble than it's worth, there are plenty of other places for selling and members breaking rules should surely come with consequences for them and not for the committee members whom do such a great job in running this forum.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

puma2

:o  :o please take you time and have some time out with your thoughts
you and have been a very and  long standing member of the club and strong hold of the community with outstand knowledge of the club let alone you no a 2 inside  out.

what has ever happened there are more members here that are all the things  the club needs and wants than any trouble from a very small few may at times be troublesome.

i do understand that there is a lot of work in the background of this club that we don't see or ever here about.
so please take your time have your thoughts and please reconsider.

I for one will miss you.     

Bernie

Quote from: andyroo104 on March 15, 2023, 00:59Would it not be better for the club as a whole to remove the offending member, remove the Private and Vehicle sales. The club does not benefit from the two sales sections and it appears to be more trouble than it's worth, there are plenty of other places for selling and members breaking rules should surely come with consequences for them and not for the committee members whom do such a great job in running this forum.

Have to say I agree, it's come to something when attitude and actions of someone ends up upsetting a valued Committee member who has contributed far more to the Club than a "know it all"
Readers Ride

The Other Stu

Quote from: andyroo104 on March 15, 2023, 00:59Would it not be better for the club as a whole to remove the offending member, remove the Private and Vehicle sales. The club does not benefit from the two sales sections and it appears to be more trouble than it's worth, there are plenty of other places for selling and members breaking rules should surely come with consequences for them and not for the committee members whom do such a great job in running this forum.

I'm with this method.

If people want to sell, do it via eBay, Facebook or whatever.
Too much hassle doing it on forums these days - people don't respect others and it's just a free-for-all.

I for one would hate to see us lose @Carolyn from the committee of this place. She says it as it is and I for one have a lot of time for her moderation.
No Longer Here

Gaz mr-s

I think the For sale/Wanted section should stay.  I've bought several things via it, & no bother at all. 

Except for a car bought from a former moderator that tried to kill me. Ironic Lol....

It's the same as any other medium, Buyer beware.  You'd hope someone on a car forum would be ok, but the Club isn't responsible.

Dev

Did I miss something. Did someone get banned for expressing an unfavorable opinion.
I can understand violating rules with consequences but opinions. Not to say I agree or disagree with any of them but the enforcement is a bit tyrannical. I know I must have missed something so someone so please fill me in.

Edit: I was filled in and understand the reason.  Not that I agree or disagree just that I understand it better.

MikeBoo

It seems the forum should do one of 2 things:
1) Shut down the For sale & Wanted sections
2) Change the rules to align with how society has always bought/sold items which is:
  • Advertise at a set price.
  • Accept a lower offer or hold out for the price already set. Whether a seller accepts a lower offer and takes payment or rejects it in the hope of a better one is down them.
Take for example selling a used car before we had eBay and the likes, which I'm sure many of us have done.
I've had many people call with asking to hold the car until they are able to view it promising to look at the car in a couple of days and then never turning up and uncontactable.
I've never turned someone away just on a promise from some rando, and I sell to the first person stood in front of me with the cash.

I understand that someone made an offer which was accepted and then a second person offered more and was put out because the seller didn't gazump the first offer and accept the higher amount.

Some people live by the jam tomorrow principle.
2001 Toyota Liquid Silver (1D0) with hard top & original soft top.
Yokohama AD08RS all round.
Replacement manifold, BC coil overs,
Whiteline anti roll bars front & rear.
Location = East Hampshire, UK

Tags: