In need of new suspension

Started by fawtytoo, May 11, 2023, 18:09

fawtytoo

The car is over 20 years old now and still on the original suspension. I've being toying with having the whole lot replaced before anything happens like a broken road spring. Guess what? I've got a broken road spring. Not surprising given the state of the roads at the moment. And it wasn't broken 2 months ago on the MOT.

Finding a local garage to do a good job won't be an issue, but I want quality parts.

The question is to all of you in the know, what brands to opt for? I think I've read here before that Mr T's are quite expensive.

I'm looking to replace springs, shocks and top mounts.

So what brands to use?
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Iain

KYB are tried and tested, they'll probably be your best bet.

If budget is tight you'll be able to get some decent struts ready built up from a good breaker, Dick sloan, J-spec to name a couple. That would be a big saving.

Ardent

You won't know if you need top mounts or not till you get in there.

They are expensive. But may well not be needed.

Shocks kyb.

Carolyn

As Iain and Ardent both say, stock springs and KYBs are hard to beat for road use.

Try TCB for the springs.  If you really shop diligently on Ebay you'll find KYBs for a good price, but it may take while to assemble all four. If you're in a hurry, get them from TCB (best to phone Paul, he doesn't do email too well!).

You will want gaiters and possibly bump stops...
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Joesson

At around 20 years, 10 garaged, and around 66k, I changed my 4 OE shocks  for KYB from Parts in Motion. Replacements offered more resistance than the old ones.
Top mounts were fine but fronts had been greased in service.
There is a fibre washer that had seen better days. MR2 Ben , costly for what they are!
Front gaiters needed replacement, Autodoc.
Rear were fine.
Springs were of equal length on each axle and had been repainted earlier by me so kept those.
As above TCB could be your one stop shop and the telephone is your friend.

PS
My PFL OE struts are available for a lower price makeover or would suit conversion with Koni inserts and minimise  time out of service.

fawtytoo

Quote from: Ardent on May 11, 2023, 18:39You won't know if you need top mounts or not till you get in there.

They are expensive. But may well not be needed.

Shocks kyb.

Already had top mounts diagnosed as they're a bit noisy. Maybe some grease will do.

Gibla

I realised that especially for the shock absorbers, you were unable to easily buy all 4 corners at once ...but if you plodded on it was possible .

If of interest, I have got all 4 shock absorbers along with springs (All items are Kybs) brand new

They were going to be installed on a vehicle asap, but that need has disappeared after selling it

pm me if you want a price(they are not advertised anywhere, not even on this site) and/or more information
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Microgerry

I have collected my car a few hours ago after a service and MOT (which it passed ok).

Whilst in it had replacement front shock absorbers, gaiters and bump stops, and springs. Shocks are by Neox.

fawtytoo

Went to my favourite garage in Lymington. Told him I had a broken spring, so he's booked it in for next Thursday. I didn't even need to ask for KYB. His exact words were "I wouldn't use anything else."

This work will be for 2 springs on the front and some top mounts. Finances has dictated this will have to suffice for now to keep the car going.

One of my colleagues suggested lowering the car. This is very tempting, so any recommendations?

normanh

MR2Ben have Neox at £88 a pair fitted them to mine a couple of weeks back, seem very good and come with a 5 year warranty. Be prepared for a struggle on the bottom bolts snapped a good Elora 19mm socket on my Offside unit.

Norman

Joesson

Quote from: fawtytoo on May 12, 2023, 17:17Went to my favourite garage in Lymington. Told him I had a broken spring, so he's booked it in for next Thursday. I didn't even need to ask for KYB. His exact words were "I wouldn't use anything else."

This work will be for 2 springs on the front and some top mounts. Finances has dictated this will have to suffice for now to keep the car going.

One of my colleagues suggested lowering the car. This is very tempting, so any recommendations?

My car is not lowered, nor would I want to do that, comments on here refer to harsher ride, problems with speed bumps, steep driveways , not to mention declaration to and possible charge from insurer.
If finances  are limiting to front only at the moment I certainly would not consider fitting lowering springs to the front only.

fawtytoo

Quote from: Joesson on May 13, 2023, 14:15My car is not lowered, nor would I want to do that, comments on here refer to harsher ride, problems with speed bumps, steep driveways , not to mention declaration to and possible charge from insurer.
If finances  are limiting to front only at the moment I certainly would not consider fitting lowering springs to the front only.
My thoughts entirely. It was a work colleague that suggested it, and the immediate thought was "yeah, that would look good". Not knowing anything about coil-overs, I did some quick research, and read about the "hardness" of the ride. Glad you mentioned steep driveways though. Leaving my driveway onto the camber of the road here would be a problem. Not to mention the pot-holed gravel private road that leads to my house.

So, although it would certainly look good, it would also cause problems. And then there's the insurance.

I normally like my cars as the manufacturer intended anyway, so I'll stick with standard suspension.

McMr2

Quote from: fawtytoo on May 13, 2023, 14:46My thoughts entirely. It was a work colleague that suggested it, and the immediate thought was "yeah, that would look good". Not knowing anything about coil-overs, I did some quick research, and read about the "hardness" of the ride. Glad you mentioned steep driveways though. Leaving my driveway onto the camber of the road here would be a problem. Not to mention the pot-holed gravel private road that leads to my house.

So, although it would certainly look good, it would also cause problems. And then there's the insurance.

I normally like my cars as the manufacturer intended anyway, so I'll stick with standard suspension.

There are degrees to it though - coilovers are probably a bit full on for most, at least for daily use.

It's also easy to ruin the setup of a car if not executed well.

Having said that, I run Tein springs on KYB shocks. The ride is taught and of course some travel is lost, but I certainly would describe it as harsh. Insurance company didn't charge any more; I declare everything non-standard and my annual premium is of the order of £150.

If it's any concern at all, or there's no good reason then maybe keeping it standard is best.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Ardent

Is, not, the missing word?

Tags: