Tyre Advice Requested here

Started by Gibla, May 16, 2023, 15:09

Gibla

I have got 2 cars shod with semi-slick tyres

Yokohama AD08R tyres (on Fl-sized wheels) ~ 2k aged 5-6 mm tread, wheels a tad scabby, not kerbed + recently balanced. The car was put onto Hunter alignment *But* found that the tyres seem to want to follow any minor imperfections in the road + resulting in regularly having to 'back off' despite this tyre being the enthusiast's tyre of choice

Nankang NS2 Front and NS2R Rear (on PFL wheels) < despite these being appreciably cheaper, I prefer them over the Yokohamas, these offer as much grip + feel that I desire, without the tramlining I have found in the Yokos.

Just to clarify, if in doubt these are installed for fast road driving only(even if used on the very odd track day) 

Before I sell on the Yokos is there anything I need to examine + try < to give the blighters one last go?
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

JB21

What was the alignment specs? It's normally alignment that causes tramlining not tyres. Mine is really bad for it with 2mm of toe out at the front.

Gibla

Quote from: JB21 on May 16, 2023, 15:15What was the alignment specs? It's normally alignment that causes tramlining not tyres. Mine is really bad for it with 2mm of toe out at the front.
Agggh done less than 2 weeks ago, left on purpose in the glovebox, missus has managed to lose  ::)

But good advice to get another alignment < what toe out would you recommend?

Gibla

ps , should have included this in the op

The car in Q had its springs + dampers swapped out for new Kybs ~ 12 months ago + other tyres n wheels used on the car don't display what I described above.

1st time out it was a cold wet evening, so could understand my profound disappointment in them, but even under warm dry conditions although cornering speeds + hence grip are very good indeed the car loves to wander about at the slightest imperfection in the road + a sensation of porpoising or bouncing down the road < not a great combo to boost driver satisfaction or confidence

JB21

Quote from: Gibla on May 16, 2023, 15:36ps , should have included this in the op

The car in Q had its springs + dampers swapped out for new Kybs ~ 12 months ago + other tyres n wheels used on the car don't display what I described above.

1st time out it was a cold wet evening, so could understand my profound disappointment in them, but even under warm dry conditions although cornering speeds + hence grip are very good indeed the car loves to wander about at the slightest imperfection in the road + a sensation of porpoising or bouncing down the road < not a great combo to boost driver satisfaction or confidence

Mmmm porpoising or bouncing could be a case of an out of round tyre or flat spotted rim(s) if you've recently had new shocks and springs to count those out.

OE spec and tolerances below.

Topdownman

Quote from: Gibla on May 16, 2023, 15:31Agggh done less than 2 weeks ago, left on purpose in the glovebox, missus has managed to lose  ::)

But good advice to get another alignment < what toe out would you recommend?

If it was only 2 weeks ago, go back to the garage and ask them to check nothing has changed, this should be done free of charge. If they ask for the readings they gave you, just say you forgot to bring them.(You could consider telling them it now tramlines and they may tweak it a bit?).
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Call the midlife!

What pressures are you using? The Nankangs are probably conforming to the contours more, rather than trying to follow them.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Gibla

Good call, both are set to 26-27psi Front 32-33psi Rear

A big thx to everyone who replied, I will deffo persist (at least for now) in trying to solve this ongoing issue

Gibla

Hangs head in shame  ::)

Checked tyre pressures again (32 F 33R) now 26F 31R

My mobile tyre fitting friend struck again here! he has done similar before, including putting Fl wheels the wrong way around (front put onto rear + vice versa) < this is despite telling him what the correct pressures should have been.

rather better as regards bouncing down the road (porpoising)

but still feels like the back isn't connected properly to the rest of the car

maybe less tram lining now

Getting 4wheel align done again foc as a check from the last time

Ardent

Something not right there.

Mine tramlined on ad08r on the way to alignment. Not on the way back.

Been said before here. The gear "hunter" is not the issue. It's the operative using it.

For road use, the AD08r (original) had cartoon/comical/obscene levels of grip.
If it doesn't feel like a limpet in glue factory, Something is definitely wrong.

tets

is there anyone close that could throw them on their car for a tootle round and comparison?

really odd that you're only having issues with the FL set - are the rims ok? is it you just prefer the feel of 15" PFL rears over the 16's

Jase and I had this conversation last week stating he much preferred the PFL feel.

Alex Knight

Quote from: Ardent on May 17, 2023, 14:20Something not right there.

Mine tramlined on ad08r on the way to alignment. Not on the way back.

Been said before here. The gear "hunter" is not the issue. It's the operative using it.

For road use, the AD08r (original) had cartoon/comical/obscene levels of grip.
If it doesn't feel like a limpet in glue factory, Something is definitely wrong.

* When up to operating temperature.

I've had more than a fair few moments on track with AD08R and AD08RS with cold tyres, especially at the rear.

Gibla

The 4 wheel tracking getting re-done was the clincher:- now very happy with the result  >:D

I can now understand why they were the tyre of choice for many  8)

JB21

Quote from: Gibla on May 17, 2023, 17:30The 4 wheel tracking getting re-done was the clincher:- now very happy with the result  >:D

I can now understand why they were the tyre of choice for many  8)

What was the before settings?

Gibla

Quote from: JB21 on May 17, 2023, 19:43What was the before settings?

Will post up asap (left in the glovebox atm)

puma2

Quote from: Gibla on May 17, 2023, 21:30Will post up asap (left in the glovebox atm)

what happen last time it was left in there :))  :))

Gibla

Before Front

Toe 5'L  Toe 5'R

Before Rear

Toe 2'L, 15'R

After Front

0'L  0'R

After Rear

1'L 2'R 

Now returned to glovebox  :)

Gibla

Quote from: puma2 on May 18, 2023, 07:04
Quote from: Gibla on May 17, 2023, 21:30Will post up asap (left in the glovebox atm)

what happen last time it was left in there :))  :))

You have met Eirlys!!

JB21

Quote from: Gibla on May 18, 2023, 08:42Before Front

Toe 5'L  Toe 5'R

Before Rear

Toe 2'L, 15'R

After Front

0'L  0'R

After Rear

1'L 2'R 

Now returned to glovebox  :)

Haha no wonder it felt like a pig! What was the reason they couldn't match the rear after settings?

Gibla

Quote from: JB21 on May 18, 2023, 09:58What was the reason they couldn't match the rear after settings?

Dunno, the on-screen display in the office showed 0' at the rear on both sides, not touched again afterward, operator error in when he took the snapshot? After this episode though I won't be using this firm again.

JohnGee

Quote from: Gibla on May 18, 2023, 10:12Dunno, the on-screen display in the office showed 0' at the rear on both sides, not touched again afterward, operator error in when he took the snapshot? After this episode though I won't be using this firm again.

Methinks there's a lot to be said about a guy who knows what he's doing and some fishing line. 🎣
John

2006 Roadster, manual, leather, in Sable

JB21

Quote from: Gibla on May 18, 2023, 10:12Dunno, the on-screen display in the office showed 0' at the rear on both sides, not touched again afterward, operator error in when he took the snapshot? After this episode though I won't be using this firm again.

As long as it drives ok, then its all good! You shouldnt see any uneven tyre wear with that little toe difference.

Tags: