Oil leak, help identify it

Started by Nvy, July 16, 2023, 12:32

Nvy

So I was crawling under the car for the oil filter and noticed an oil leak. Seems like its from the engine but from the back. Can anyone give a guess from where it is?

Pics in the link:

Linky

Carolyn

Have a look further up the engine, just to see if it's not coming from higher up.  Check around the oil filler cap and around the back of the cam cover.  It could be the result of a slight spillage when topping the oil up?

If it's not coming from above the sump it could be the main crankshaft seal, but that's highly unusual on the 1ZZ.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Nvy

Quote from: Carolyn on July 16, 2023, 12:51Have a look further up the engine, just to see if it's not coming from higher up.  Check around the oil filler cap and around the back of the cam cover.  It could be the result of a slight spillage when topping the oil up?

If it's not coming from above the sump it could be the main crankshaft seal, but that's highly unusual on the 1ZZ.

There is no oil in the engine atm because the filter is glued there so I will be buying a tool tomorrow and then will fill up.

Can it be from the tranny? I hope not coz I had it rebuild awhile ago.

Carolyn

Quote from: Nvy on July 16, 2023, 12:56There is no oil in the engine atm because the filter is glued there so I will be buying a tool tomorrow and then will fill up.

Can it be from the tranny? I hope not coz I had it rebuild awhile ago.

Does it smell bad?  Transmission oil tends to be a lot smellier than engine oil. If you pop the plastic flywheel cover off, you'll be able to see (and feel) if it's coming from the direction of the gearbox.

Nvy

Quote from: Carolyn on July 16, 2023, 13:07Does it smell bad?  Transmission oil tends to be a lot smellier than engine oil. If you pop the plastic flywheel cover off, you'll be able to see (and feel) if it's coming from the direction of the gearbox.

Will check it put later or tomorrow and will report back.

Dev

I would check the oil pressure sender. It is located in that area and can leak.

Nvy

Quote from: Dev on July 16, 2023, 13:12I would check the oil pressure sender. It is located in that area and can leak.

Does it have a rubber ring or Id need to replace it?

Dev

Quote from: Nvy on July 16, 2023, 16:50Does it have a rubber ring or Id need to replace it?

I don't know as I never removed it but I imagine so. I remember this as being a potential leak because a local member had an oil leak in this area earlier this year where the mechanic found it and fixed it.
I then read doing a search that indicated that it is a potential oil leak for these engines.

Joesson

@Nvy
To my eyes the oil seems to be spreading from the area of two of the sump fixings.
I would not be to anxious to refill the sump until you have located the leak source for sure.

Nvy

Quote from: Joesson on July 16, 2023, 19:05@Nvy
To my eyes the oil seems to be spreading from the area of two of the sump fixings.
I would not be to anxious to refill the sump until you have located the leak source for sure.

I am getting a trolley jack and will lift the car better so that I can have a look. My sump is bent so Ill be looking at replacing it soon anyways.

Joesson

Quote from: Nvy on July 16, 2023, 20:06I am getting a trolley jack and will lift the car better so that I can have a look. My sump is bent so Ill be looking at replacing it soon anyways.

That could be the problem, diagnosis is often the difficult part !

I'm sure you are aware, but  please remember not to get under the car when supported with only a jack, always use axle stands.

Nvy

Quote from: Joesson on July 16, 2023, 20:18That could be the problem, diagnosis is often the difficult part !

I'm sure you are aware, but  please remember not to get under the car when supported with only a jack, always use axle stands.

Got two ramps and coupe of jack stands too. Thank you for caring tho!

Nvy

My money is on the crankshaft seal because behind the dust shield is clean. Cant see more than the bottom part so ill leave it for now. The oil is not smelly at all too.

@Carolyn Can I drive it for the time being like this, in case the oil is coming from the seal? Because the car was not driven for almost 2 years I want to drive it a bit and finish a couple of reservoirs of clean fuel prior to rebuilding the engine for the turbo in the fall.

Carolyn

Yes it will be fine to drive.  Wipe the oil off and check again in a couple of weeks.

Tags: