Engine Smoke Advice

Started by Cabin UK, August 24, 2023, 13:47

Cabin UK

Hi

I have a 2004 Mk3, standard 1.8VVT engine. It just passed the latest MOT, but advisory of blue smoke. I have have the full exhaust system replaced however it is still burning oil. The garage are not confident, even with the new exhaust and CAT that it will pass emissions next year.

Any advise on how to reduce the smoking/oil burning without a top engine rebuild? If not, any idea what sort of costs I'm looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Carolyn

Engine out and a thorough rebuild will be around £1200.  I've rebuilt a few myself and it's over £300 in parts plus machining (head skim) honing plus you might as well put in a new clutch  while the engine is out.

I wouldn't do it for less than £1200, (not that I do it for others) knowing the work and time involved.

One of our members @mr2garageswindon, who is a pro, would probably give a more accurate estimate.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Cabin UK

Thanks, It's not majorly bad as it is, and the car has always been oil thirsty......that's all old Jap cars right lol.

I'm hoping to avoid a rebuild if at all possible!

mr2garageswindon

I'd be replacing the pcv valve 1st if it hasn't already been done.
I have also had some success putting a small amount of diesel down the plug holes and left for a day or 2.
Obviously an oil change after..

Topdownman

I would speak to Nathan at Mr2s in Willenhall. He's a sound guy who will give you good advice about what to do from here.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Dblock

Quote from: mr2garageswindon on August 24, 2023, 15:57I'd be replacing the pcv valve 1st if it hasn't already been done.
I have also had some success putting a small amount of diesel down the plug holes and left for a day or 2.
Obviously an oil change after..

What did that do? Diesel to unstick the rings or clean them or something else?

Joesson

Quote from: Dblock on August 25, 2023, 03:18What did that do? Diesel to unstick the rings or clean them or something else?

Sounds to me like the Redex  bore soak of my younger years, said to dissolve deposits on piston rings.
There was also the Redex tune up where Redex was trickled through the carburettor choke with the engine running. Said to ungum the valves. Certainly generated smoke.
Never heard t of it doing any harm, except add to air pollution perhaps.

Tags: