Grinding on startup

Started by Jared, September 22, 2023, 13:19

Jared

Hi all I'm probably being paranoid but was just at the engine bay doing a mkiii style pipe swap (thank you Ardent) and when I finished I fired her up but to be sure she was breathing fine when I noticed a small grinding noise just for a second.
Same type of noise you get when you turn the key when the engine is already on.
Went to the back of the car and after the revs settled a little she sounded fine.
But with the pre cat issue that can happen it gets me on edge so I think I'm going to change the exhaust manifold sooner rather than later.
But has anyone experienced this type of thing.

Gaz mr-s

Did you hear it immediately after the engine started, for a second, maybe two?

Jared

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on September 22, 2023, 13:52Did you hear it immediately after the engine started, for a second, maybe two?

Yes I thought maybe I'm hold the key too long in the start position

Carolyn

It does take a few seconds for the chain tensioner to pressurise.  It could be that, but that's more a 'rattle' than a 'grind'.

The starter motor could be loose or hanging up. Not a common issue, mind!

If the pre-cats are intact (you can check by looking in the O2 sensor ports) and the engine is well maintained pre-cats won't be a problem.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Jared on September 22, 2023, 13:56Yes I thought maybe I'm hold the key too long in the start position

Possible, but it's a common issue, it's the bendix on the starter motor.  Sometimes it's because a car isn't used often enough, but it can just be random.

You will probably learn an automatic release of the key when it's cranking.  I realised one day when my car didn't start to the same fraction of a second that it 'always' did start, that I was in the habit of releasing the pressure on the key before before hearing the engine catch.

Jared

If the pre-cats are intact (you can check by looking in the O2 sensor ports) and the engine is well maintained pre-cats won't be a problem.
[/quote]

I do need to take a look at these but have it in my head that I'm probably going to change the manifold anyway.

Done a few maintenance jobs so far so this will be the next thing on the list.

If anyone does have an aftermarket manifold they are looking to sell I would be interested.
Seen them new for £150 so not too expensive

Jared

You will probably learn an automatic release of the key when it's cranking.  I realised one day when my car didn't start to the same fraction of a second that it 'always' did start, that I was in the habit of releasing the pressure on the key before before hearing the engine catch.
[/quote]

This is possible, I did have an 80s Porsche before and it took a few seconds to crank over so maybe I'm not used to the style of the car yet.

I will say that after doing some small jobs on her so far I'm very impressed with how ingeniously simple thanks are on these cars.

Ardent

Quote from: Jared on September 22, 2023, 14:51I will say that after doing some small jobs on her so far I'm very impressed with how ingeniously simple thanks are on these cars.
:)

In reply to your original post. It happens. I get odd noises now and then. Mine sound more in common with Carolyns #3 and the tensioner. I can't even say 1 in 10 starts. Just random. But always the same sound and for less than a second.

Alex Knight

I've had the same noise occasionally since I did the 2ZZ swap 10 years ago. Nothing to worry about unless it bothers you. Doesn't bother me.

Jared

It's not so much that it bothers me as long as its nothing more.
As long as the car keeps going and it's   nothing more than a characteristic of this engine then great.
As long as that's all it is.

J88TEO

Quote from: Jared on September 22, 2023, 14:47If anyone does have an aftermarket manifold they are looking to sell I would be interested.
I have one, used for about 6 months, all wrapped.
Will post some photos.

J88TEO

Jared,
Thanks for your interest.
Manifold on the way to you. Better let you have it than let it sit on the shelf.
Enjoy.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: J88TEO on October  5, 2023, 09:15Jared,
Thanks for your interest.
Manifold on the way to you. Better let you have it than let it sit on the shelf.
Enjoy.

Lucky you.  He'd agreed to buy mine before you offered.

Alex Knight

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on October  5, 2023, 09:26Lucky you.  He'd agreed to buy mine before you offered.

Shady.

J88TEO

I have no idea he offered to buy yours.
I gave him a price inclusive postage and that was that.

Carolyn

Quote from: J88TEO on October  5, 2023, 09:50I have no idea he offered to buy yours.

And you obviously agreed the deal off forum and by private message.  Not the first time you've ignored the selling rules.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: J88TEO on October  5, 2023, 09:50I have no idea he offered to buy yours.

No probs, no axe to grind with you.

Jared

Hi all sorry if I have upset anyone, I was all up for getting the first one offered then was offered another that was wrapped for the same cost.
I did have a few issues going on other than the car and was going to leave it but then decided what the hell.

As you can imagine like all you guys I'm after the best deal and I'm just the new guy getting offered lots of bits for the car that you don't need anymore but like I said hope I have not upset anyone.   

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Jared on October  5, 2023, 10:40Hi all sorry if I have upset anyone, I was all up for getting the first one offered then was offered another that was wrapped for the same cost.
I did have a few issues going on other than the car and was going to leave it but then decided what the hell.

As you can imagine like all you guys I'm after the best deal and I'm just the new guy getting offered lots of bits for the car that you don't need anymore but like I said hope I have not upset anyone.   

Well considering your email yesterday evening said

"Sorry Gary I've had a few problems at home and car is going to have to take a back seat for now."

But you have actually bought one,  I'll take your "Sorry" with a pinch of the saltiest salt.

And for anyone who's interested he asked if 'I could keep it for him until the end of the month'.

No advice coming from me in future.....

Carolyn

Another example of buying and selling causing friction!

This  why we have rules about buying and selling.  Rules which are (as observed by a former member) pretty much unenforceable.  They rely on an 'honour' system of abiding by the rules of the club because you are a member and you should do your best to observe the club rules.

If this transaction had been done on the forum, instead of by the back door, this friction would not have arisen.

@Jared and @J88TEO , please read the rules and observe them in future?  Thanks in advance.

Gaz mr-s

I don't agree with all of the selling rule, & I thought the 'non-pm' rule had been abandoned after the last fracas.

This was a bit different though. No-one advertised. new-guy asked if anyone had one, I sent him a message then pics by email. He wanted it, asked me to hold it, then renaged when he was offered something that's possibly better.
And then seemingly lied to me in an email.

Tags: