Why won't this washer come off?

Started by MrChris, October 5, 2023, 14:05

MrChris

Looking for ideas, it looks like one of the threads is slightly threaded but other than that, are these designed to not come off? This is from a seat rail where it attaches to the floor.

Carolyn

Quite a few Toyota bolts have washers that don't come off.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

J88TEO

Washer is not supposed to come off. Designed that way.

MrChris

Quote from: Carolyn on October  5, 2023, 14:07Quite a few Toyota bolts have washers that don't come off.

Quote from: J88TEO on October  5, 2023, 14:07Washer is not supposed to come off. Designed that way.

Thanks both. Basically I can't drive this home on my new seat rails because the washer is in the way. Any ideas?

Carolyn

Can you swap it with a bolt from another location (passenger seat?) that doesn't have a retained washer?

MrChris

Quote from: Carolyn on October  5, 2023, 14:14Can you swap it with a bolt from another location (passenger seat?) that doesn't have a retained washer?

Good thinking but I'm pretty sure they all have retained washers. I'm working at the moment so will have to check later. Last resort will be to cut the washer off but would obviously rather not.

Carolyn

My seats don't have retained washers.  One of the bolts that holds the brace in the engine compartment to the bulkhead, will probably fit, and it's not at all vital.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: MrChris on October  5, 2023, 14:10Thanks both. Basically I can't drive this home on my new seat rails because the washer is in the way. Any ideas?

I wouldn't think that diameter of bolt-head onto a seat rail without a washer would be good practice.

MrChris

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on October  5, 2023, 14:22I wouldn't think that diameter of bolt-head onto a seat rail without a washer would be good practice.

I'd still use a washer, just a smaller one. This bolt has 2 washers on it, the large one that is preventing me from screwing it in and a smaller one that poses no problem. Basically the upright part of the seat rail is too close to the bolt hole, and therefore the big washer prevents the screw from going in.

Topdownman

Could you put a nut on it to stop the washer turning and then put the thread into the chuck of a drill and spin it against a file to reduce the size of the washer?

Might work if you dont have to take much off? Perhaps some tape on it to protect the thread?

Or just take something off each opposite side with an angle grinder to allow it to go in in one position as you still have a rotating washer on top?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

JB21

That doesn't look like a seat rail bolt. Pretty sure they dont have washers on and are tapered at the end.

MRSwede

Mine have 2 washers, one smaller and one bigger, and according to MR2-Ben

Seat Mounting Bolt
Genuine Toyota Part
Supplied Individually
Amount Per Seat 4
Amount Per Car 8
Suitable for:
* Toyota MR2 mk2 1989-2000
* Toyota MR-S / MR2 mk3 1999-2007

Tags: