Front coil springs 2004

Started by MarkB1, March 31, 2024, 16:34

MarkB1

Just snapped a front coil spring, 2004 facelift. Are all standard front springs the same for all years?. Some makers only list to 2004 and others are listing the same spring for an 2006 so I assume they maybe all the same. I've noticed there's only one pair front shocks listed with KYB for all MK3 years.
Part numbers I've found are KYB RA2090 or Napa NCS1475....Thanks

Carolyn

Quote from: MarkB1 on March 31, 2024, 16:34Just snapped a front coil spring, 2004 facelift. Are all standard front springs the same for all years?. Some makers only list to 2004 and others are listing the same spring for an 2006 so I assume they maybe all the same. I've noticed there's only one pair front shocks listed with KYB for all MK3 years.
Part numbers I've found are KYB RA2090 or Napa NCS1475....Thanks

Best to do both sides, springs and shocks.  Yes the springs are all the same.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

MarkB1

Quote from: Carolyn on March 31, 2024, 16:36Best to do both sides, springs and shocks.  Yes the springs are all the same.

Thank You, yes I intend to do the pair, springs anyway, shocks are like new and rust free, only on 35,000 miles. ;D

Joesson

Quote from: MarkB1 on March 31, 2024, 16:40Thank You, yes I intend to do the pair, springs anyway, shocks are like new and rust free, only on 35,000 miles. ;D

My 2002 on around 55k needed gaiters on front shocks, they were shredded and very noticeable.
Got mine from Autodoc , identical/ OE. Also try TCB if you do need them.

MarkB1

Quote from: Joesson on March 31, 2024, 16:56My 2002 on around 55k needed gaiters on front shocks, they were shredded and very noticeable.
Got mine from Autodoc , identical/ OE. Also try TCB if you do need them.

Yeah might pick up a pair, mine were in bits 12 years ago when I bought the car lol. The shock piston never showed any signs of corrosion so I never bothered replacing them. May as well do them now with the new springs.Thanks

MarkB1

Just found out there are two different front springs....Blue Print do them and MR Ben sells genuine Toyota springs. Both will fit but the later facelift spring is approx 35mm longer in unfitted length...older (99-04).....349mm facelift (04-07)....384mm. I've ordered the older ones, they'll fit but just hope they're not too low. I'll update when fitted.

MRSwede

Length is not every thing, you should take spring rate in consideration to.
I thought i messed up big time with this, but just lowered approx 1,2"

MarkB1

Quote from: MRSwede on April  2, 2024, 22:28Length is not every thing, you should take spring rate in consideration to.
I thought i messed up big time with this, but just lowered approx 1,2"

There are definitely different standard springs and shocks for the original and facelift models... probably a coil higher than your smaller spring so hopefully not alot in it. They're bought now so they'll be going in lol.
Would those shorter ones have taken much compression?

J88TEO

Toyota raised the ride height on the FL models.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: J88TEO on April  3, 2024, 10:17Toyota raised the ride height on the FL models.

Maybe you should expand on that.
I read recently that the front springs remained the same. But FL rears are different.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: MarkB1 on April  2, 2024, 21:44Just found out there are two different front springs....Blue Print do them and MR Ben sells genuine Toyota springs. Both will fit but the later facelift spring is approx 35mm longer in unfitted length...older (99-04).....349mm facelift (04-07)....384mm. I've ordered the older ones, they'll fit but just hope they're not too low. I'll update when fitted.

I hope you didn't buy Toyota-branded. £86+  :o

The o/e are made by KYB.  A pair of them is under £36 on ebay....

MarkB1

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on April  3, 2024, 10:55I hope you didn't buy Toyota-branded. £86+  :o

The o/e are made by KYB.  A pair of them is under £36 on ebay....

No, I ordered the Napa springs, £28 pair delivered. I've used them before in other cars, they seem ok for standard replacements. Not fussed about KYB anymore, they seem to rust very quickly, I barely got two years out of a pair of rears on a RAV4.If KYB made the OEMs in 2004 they must have coated them much better, mine are virtually rust free. The one that broke just snapped at the very bottom coil where it's flat and sits on the strut.

MarkB1

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on April  3, 2024, 10:42Maybe you should expand on that.
I read recently that the front springs remained the same. But FL rears are different.

There's definitely later springs for facelift front (and shocks on TOYO DIY parts catalogue). Mr Ben parts only has them as genuine Toyota,he told me that's all you can get but looking about I found Blueprint do them as well (same price as OEM approx £80)...ADT388363 older 345mm (KYB/Napa
say 349mm)....ADT388366 facelift 385mm.
Many places list the early spring for all years but KYB for example list the RA2090 up to 04 only, they don't list a later spring. The RA2090 is the equivalent to the Napa NCS1475 I have bought. They'll all physically fit, I just hope the height isn't much lower.

Gaz mr-s

Interesting re Napa/KYB & paint.  I can't imagine there'll be much in ride-height. There are at least a couple of folk on here who have slightly shortened (ie cut) std springs.

Most of the experienced on here use TCB Performance, a guy called Paul Pridham. I had a brief conversation with him recently. It was a by-the-by comment, he mentioned different rear springs.

MarkB1

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on April  3, 2024, 15:06Interesting re Napa/KYB & paint.  I can't imagine there'll be much in ride-height. There are at least a couple of folk on here who have slightly shortened (ie cut) std springs.

Most of the experienced on here use TCB Performance, a guy called Paul Pridham. I had a brief conversation with him recently. It was a by-the-by comment, he mentioned different rear springs.

I'll find out when they arrive 😂...a family friend has good garage and hydraulic spring compressor I can use at anytime. If he does them he can do that type of spring / shock jap set up in 15-20 mins a side.

Gaz mr-s

Thinking further about your NAPA springs, NAPA - branded products are quite new to the market for the 2. 3 or 4 years ago there were only KYB or Sachs struts, I think.  Now there are numerous brand names, so I assume some Chinese factories are making the products & retailers are putting their labels on them.
So I wonder what the paint'll be like on your MR2 springs.....?

MarkB1

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on April  3, 2024, 15:48Thinking further about your NAPA springs, NAPA - branded products are quite new to the market for the 2. 3 or 4 years ago there were only KYB or Sachs struts, I think.  Now there are numerous brand names, so I assume some Chinese factories are making the products & retailers are putting their labels on them.
So I wonder what the paint'll be like on your MR2 springs.....?

I'll post when I get them fitted. I've used Napa on my V6 Mondeo (it eats springs lol) and they have matched perfectly in height with the equivalent KYB when replacing one side. My friend with the garage has fitted 100s of them, it's the main make his supplier sells I know Napa and Apec springs are the same and use the same part numbers.

Beachbum957

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on April  3, 2024, 10:42Maybe you should expand on that.
The front springs changed to slightly longer in some markets for the FL cars to raise the car slightly.  Sachs lists the early spring at 345 mm and the later at 384 mm (unloaded). Interestingly, KYB lists the same front spring for all years.  Both list slightly longer rear spring for FL years.

MarkB1

*Update....The Napa NCS1475 (pre facelift shorter spring) fits the facelift car perfectly. Side by side unfitted the new Napa spring IS approx 30mm less than the removed original facelift spring but fitted the car  sits approx 5mm higher. I measured from the ground to to top of the arch beforehand and it was 630mm.... with new Napa spring its 635mm but I'm guessing it will settle down a bit after a few miles. Happy enough, driving perfect and steering wheel sits nice and straight...no real problem except for one abs wire bolt breaking but all fixed and new gaiter/dust covers fitted from Mr Ben.... although his parts are actually VW Polo/Seat Ibiza boots but they do the job.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: MarkB1 on April  6, 2024, 16:04*Update....The Napa NCS1475 (pre facelift shorter spring) fits the facelift car perfectly. Side by side unfitted the new Napa spring IS approx 30mm less than the old original facelift spring but fitted the car the car sits approx 5mm higher. I measured from the ground to to top of the arch beforehand and it was 630mm.... with new Napa spring its 635mm but I'm guessing it will settle down a bit after a few miles. Happy enough, driving perfect and steering wheel sits nice and straight...no real problem except for one abs wire bolt breaking but all fixed and new gaiter/dust covers fitted from Mr Ben.... although his parts are actually VW Polo/Seat Ibiza boots but they do the job.

Keep us posted, it may take a day or two for the springs to settle.  (It did with stiffer TTE springs)
I'd be interested to know of the Polo/Seat model years for the boots, or a part number, please.

MarkB1

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on April  6, 2024, 19:45Keep us posted, it may take a day or two for the springs to settle.  (It did with stiffer TTE springs)
I'd be interested to know of the Polo/Seat model years for the boots, or a part number, please.

The boots had the label ripped off but the barcode was still there..

Barcode 4025 258 605 391 showed up as

Bilstein 11-101307

They seem to fit late 90s-mid 2000s Audi/VW/Seat....They appear to be more plastic /vinyl than rubber so might last a bit longer, mine were in bits 12 years ago when I bought the car.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: MarkB1 on April  6, 2024, 21:10The boots had the label ripped off but the barcode was still there..

Barcode 4025 258 605 391 showed up as

Bilstein 11-101307

They seem to fit late 90s-mid 2000s Audi/VW/Seat....They appear to be more plastic /vinyl than rubber so might last a bit longer, mine were in bits 12 years ago when I bought the car.

Thanks.  The fronts seem to have a hard life. Done by 40k or less...

MarkB1

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on April  7, 2024, 01:38Thanks.  The fronts seem to have a hard life. Done by 40k or less...

Mine were gone at 27,000 when I bought it. They just seem to dry up and fall apart in rings. My car is rarely used (now on 35,000 miles) and never out in the wet so never bothered doing them up until now.

https://ibb.co/vZLGbKV
https://ibb.co/6BxgQWP

Tags: