handbrake again

Started by ucb, April 11, 2024, 19:43

ucb

At fuel station. Car out of winter hibernation today. And has not been driven since November (handbrake off).
Pulled the handbrake on and there was a jump and the lever went limp. Was unable to add further tension and release the handbrake. Wouldn't ratchet after that and simply flopped down to the disengaged position and the calipers were clearly engaged to some degree.
Drobe home slowlyand the handbrake now seems to have resolved it's issues. Engages as normal, releases and the car doesn't feel like it's dragging.
I had a binding caliper at the last MOT and I suspect that what's needed here is new cables and rear calipers.
Anyone have any suggestions as to alternativws and also whereabouts can perform such a job? it's not for me in my garage!!

Joesson

@ucb
My cure all for brakes is to give them a good work out while the car is stationary with the engine running. I believe that this encourages the inherent self adjusting feature of, particularly disc, brakes.

ucb

I'm certainly going to use the car more over winter time now. I won't take it off the road I expect this year as it seems such a waste and I do find cars reliable if used rather than rotting

paulj

I'd start with a quick adjustment check.  I do this on mine probably three times a year and it always takes out slack.  Use the how to https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=68798.0

Pop some screws out to remove the centre plastics which then allows you to see the adjustment nut.  Slacken off, pump brakes, tighten up.

If you are really lucky that will fix it without spending any money!!
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: ucb on April 11, 2024, 19:43At fuel station. Car out of winter hibernation today. And has not been driven since November (handbrake off).
Pulled the handbrake on and there was a jump and the lever went limp. Was unable to add further tension and release the handbrake. Wouldn't ratchet after that and simply flopped down to the disengaged position and the calipers were clearly engaged to some degree.
Drobe home slowlyand the handbrake now seems to have resolved it's issues. Engages as normal, releases and the car doesn't feel like it's dragging.
I had a binding caliper at the last MOT and I suspect that what's needed here is new cables and rear calipers.
Anyone have any suggestions as to alternativws and also whereabouts can perform such a job? it's not for me in my garage!!

You were in a thread in November last year where you said a garage had fitted new calipers.  In that threwad there was mention of the rubbers on the ends of the cables, but you didn't mention the condition of your cable ends.?

Tags: