Extended Wheel Studs

Started by Dave Angel, April 22, 2024, 20:42

Dave Angel

Evening all,

have just realised that with my Formuala Dynamics wheels I'm not left with much stud thread left (about 13mm!) so would like to fit some longer bolts. From reading so far seems the original Toyota ones would be 14.2mm knurl diameter (possibly 14.3 for the rear?). Studs I have found so far are either 14.3 or 14.4mm - can these be used instead or would it stretch the bolts on fitting? Any 14.2 ones available anywhere??

Ideally would like to get some at 50mm to keep the original wheel nuts...

Any help gratefully received - brain is starting to hurt from all the searh and cross referencing now!

steveash

Mtec sell some on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284898392568

I can't vouch for quality but their brake disks are popular and I've had no problems with them.

By the way, if you are using after market wheels you might need to change your wheel nuts to the tapered type rather than the stock Toyota flat shouldered ones.

Dave Angel

Quote from: steveash on April 23, 2024, 09:07Mtec sell some on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284898392568

I can't vouch for quality but their brake disks are popular and I've had no problems with them.

By the way, if you are using after market wheels you might need to change your wheel nuts to the tapered type rather than the stock Toyota flat shouldered ones.

Thanks for the reply - they look the best option at the moment for size - will use my mate's press to avoid stetching where poss as well.

Noted on the wheel nuts - actually by original I meant the ones that came with the wheels so good to fit. Do have a 'cap' though so would need open ended ones if I was to use longer studs....

Alex Knight

@Dave Angel

The above post about aftermarket wheels is nothing to do with 'caps'.

It's about the mounting face of the nut.

OEM wheels require a flat face mount, most aftermarket wheels require a tapered mount.

Petrus

Quote from: Dave Angel on April 23, 2024, 19:47Noted on the wheel nuts - actually by original I meant the ones that came with the wheels so good to fit. Do have a 'cap' though so would need open ended ones if I was to use longer studs....

Yes, I get that. Easily enough measured though. Also plenty about. Would not worry about it till you know how much longer the studs are.

Dave Angel

Thanks for the reply - yes plenty more options for the nuts - hopefully ones I have will fit okay anyway....

Gaz mr-s

Depending on where you read, the required thread length is 1 - 1.5 the diameter of the thread.  If you have 13mm exposed, that won't be taking into account the thread in the taper.  ??

Dave Angel

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on April 25, 2024, 21:35Depending on where you read, the required thread length is 1 - 1.5 the diameter of the thread.  If you have 13mm exposed, that won't be taking into account the thread in the taper.  ??

Good point - will double check that!

Tags: