Compression test results

Started by ty222, April 23, 2024, 21:03

ty222

I have been restoring my 2 lately and I'm nearing the end but I burn oil and sometimes hear an odd engine noise so I thought I'd try a compression test.

All of my results were between 200 and 204 psi I've not seen readings this high before what are people's thoughts? I was using a new pressure tester, accelerator fully pressed

Could this be so good it's bad?

Alex Knight

Pistons have compression rings AND oil control rings.

They do different jobs.

ty222

Nice one Alex, so 200 psi I could have fantastic compression rings but the oils are naff.

It burns a ridiculous amount, Mot next so hope it gets through emissions.

Carolyn

The factory compression is 185psi.  Higher than that would indicate wet rings (excess oil) and carbon build-up on the cylinder-head and piston crowns.  That tallies with the oil consumption.

The oil control rings will be gummed up and stuck in the pistons.  There is no amount of additives that will deal with this, I'm afraid. 

Engine out and a mild rebuild will be needed.  Clean up pistons, new rings, hone bores, Replace valve seals while you're in there. 

A small modification to the oil control holes in the pistons is also good to do.  Enlarge the ones that are there (there are four of them, and add two more, or get a set of eight-hole MAG pistons.

Or you could go for a known good used engine.  Once you've done the work of taking it all out, betting on a used engine may not be the best way to go.

It will probably pass emissions.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

ty222

Thanks Carolyn, thats perfect advise, i think if thats my only option ill try and get it through MOT this year and have summer and then look towards a 2zz upgrade.

Tags: