Engine issues

Started by Wrightly, June 15, 2005, 15:43

Wrightly

Hi all,
I recently had to re con my engine after some heavy driving and excessive oil consumption.
The recon was done independently and it was put back in the car by Mr T.
Before it was re conned, it was belching out black smoke which destroyed the main cat that had to be replaced as well.
I also replaced the two O2 sensors with Gendan's alternative as I'm sure the carbon didn't do them any good. When I put them in I noticed increased performance etc, but there is still problems.
Oil consumption is non existent now, and when I start the car up and it's cold it sounds fine. But as soon as it warms up it starts to sound like a diesel (tapping, knocking etc). It also still is nowhere near as powerful before I blew it and seems a bit restricted. Sounds Like screwed O2 sensors but I just replaced them!
Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be.  Could it be the pre cats? I checked them when I changed the O2 sensors and one of them seemed fine, but I couldn't check the RHS because of positioning. I know Mr T wouldn't have even bothered to check them when they had to replace the main cat as well. If exhaust flow was being restricted, could that cause knocking/tapping etc?
I'm totally stumped.

markiii

you rebuilt the engine, but left the pre-cats as they were  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

oh dear.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wrightly

At least I think they left the precats as they were.
Toyota were a bunch of monkeys. When I first brought it to them after blowing the engine, they told me  that it was a blocked cat causing the problems - not figuring out that the screwed engine pumping out carbon had destroyed it!!!
They replaced it and when they gave the car back to me and it was still pouring out smoke, the idiot mechanic said that was how he though the engine should be!!! Good training!
It was only after I got a second opinion from an independent that I was told the engine was screwed.
So, could pre cat failure/blocking cause the problems? Or what else would cause those symptoms?

markiii

lets take this one step at a time.

02 sensors, if you don't have a check engine light they are probably fine.

Refurbed engine, shame this was independant as Toyota will likely blame all and any issues from now on the refurb job, which they can conveniently wash their hands of.

you say that when the engine blew it was due to a clogged main cat.

This won't happen all on it's own due to smoke, it could happen due to excessive oil build up, but if oil got that far it got through your pre--cats, which will mean that very likely most of your precats were also in teh main cat.

If they replaced teh main cat, and engine, they/you should have at least inspected the pre-cats properly, chances are they weren't close to intact, and you really don't whats left of them to still be in there. Once they start to go they will continue and it's just a  recipe to repeat teh original process.

Inspect and Gut as neccessary soon.

tapping deisel noise; the 1zz isn't a quite engine at the best of times, could be belt tensioner, timing chain adjuster, or even just noisy tappets ( a common occurence) However as this occured after teh new engine (I assume) I would be concerned that insufficient oil is reaching the head, are you sure your oil level is ok?

as for the restricted feeling and lack of power is this at any partivular revs? if ti si at 4000rpm or ish, it could be that the VVTI isn't kicking in, as this is driven by oil pressure, see my coment above ref oil consumption.

If it's at all revs I'd say that there is a high chance that your main cat is blocked again. If this is teh case fix it soon or you will start blowing oil past the piston rings and then by by engine again.

hope that helps.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Jap GT300

Is it tapping at most rpms's above idle?  What exactly was changed when the engine was reconditioned?

This is so obviously the crank bearings once again   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    Toyota are cr*p at establishing this fault.  I had one car in with them three times and was told either it was bad oil or that the car had no problem at all.

The car that went in and had its engine replaced had not had precats present for a very long time.

Tags: