Fitting a new roof

Started by Anonymous, June 29, 2005, 21:57

Anonymous

Hi

Anyone know where I can find a comprehensive guide to fitting a new soft top on my MR2, with pictures n all. Either that or a reasonably priced but knowledgable fitter in my semi local area. My local area being Torquay. Realistically id travel anywhere in the south if it was a cheep good job though. I already have the roof BTW.

Anonymous

AFAIK you'll never do it yourself to any sort of decent standard. Apparently it's a real PITA, and when people here have had their roofs replaced by Mr T some have still not been satisfied with the results.

Realistically, your only option is to go through you local Toyota dealer and suck up the (probably horrendous) costs.

markiii

I'll see if I scan you teh BGB pages this weekend

be warned its horrendous
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Can you link to them on here as well please Mark? I'd be interested in seeing the instructions myself.

markiii

no probs
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I'd be interested too so that I can find out what my velcro'd, poppered flaps are for   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

heathstimpson

My local mr T subbed the change over to Aston Martin up the road  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Those instructions would be really usefull to me. If you could put the link up on here, im sure a few people would find it informative.

By going to the local Toyota dealership do you mean, just for fitting or for the whole job ? Bearing in mind I already have a new hood to put on ??

I fitted the last roof to my old MX5 and that was a serious job but not beyond the will of man. There must be people around who have the necessary skills. Especially if I give them the instructions. I dont think toyota would touch the roof I have purchased with a barge pole, they would want to charge an extorsionate price for a new one.

loadswine

That roof wouldn't be the red one that was up on ebay a little while ago would it?
Good luck with the job man, I do like the phrase" not beyond the will of man" There have been a few tasks I have struggled with over the years that might fit that bracket!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Jap GT300

I have done this on the MR2 Roadster.  It is all fairly straight forward but very time consuming.

It is much easier to remove and install if the supprt bar and plastic are left in situe with the roof.  These are the bits that the wind deflector attach to.

You can't really go wrong when re-installing and there shouldn't be any sag as the frame is solid and only fits in one place.

If the vinyl roof is bought seperately that is a different story and not something I would attempt.

Anonymous

Thanks for the coments.

Jap GT300, what exactly do you mean by "If the vinyl roof is bought seperately that is a different story and not something I would attempt."

All I have purchased is the Roof & glass I haven't got the frame ! Is that what you mean ?? Is this gonna make life a lot more difficult ?

Anonymous

Quote from: "loadswine"That roof wouldn't be the red one that was up on ebay a little while ago would it?

No its not the red one off EBay, I was on the look out for a red one but I ended up buying one from a thread on this forum. Off a chap called Lloyd Deakin.

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... light=roof m

Any feedback from others who have fitted a new hood would be helpfull, im begining to feel ive bit off more than I can chew !

Jap GT300

I've never tried it with just the roof and glass.  I've always done it as a complete assembly, which is "quite" easy.

Anonymous

What is this BGB that is mentioned above. I take it this is a repair manual. Is there such thing as a haynes or similar for the MK3 Roadster ??

markiii

nope only the official Toyota manual for teh MK3 at present.

Anonymous

Hi

Is there anyone out there who could sort me out witht these fitting instructions discussed ??

I would be very gratefull !

markiii

sorry  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

didn't get a chance this weekend, I'll sort them for you this week

markiii

Anonymous

Mark, that links out of date now, could you possibly be kind enough to post the info again or e-mail it to me please matey?

I'll be fitting my new roof shortly and would like to browse any available info before hand if poss

cheers bud

P

markiii

no probs I'll go look for it

Anonymous

you're a star matey   s:) :) s:)

markiii

seems to have got lost in the reorg

I beleive stu had teh original, Mr Evans can you assit?

Anonymous

all sorted now matey, thanks for trying tho :0

kanujunkie

Quote from: "markiii"I beleive stu had the original, Mr Evans can you assit?

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tags: